Dashcam install

Was it the video I made? sounds like my instructions the silicone grease can get messy but it really helps.

No it wasn't this vid, it was TOMS MAN SHED. washing up liquid is probably much more readily available than silicone grease to the average DIY'er, it worked well for me, a lot less messy too and easier to clean up than silicone grease, which I have but decided against it.

Guess it`s this one:

YEP, interesting and helpful, but not definitive. As they say, more than one way to skin a cat!

I made things very easy by not going into the difficult to access fuse box, but used the cigarette lighter under the phone shelf (MG4 2023 LR) the shelf hides everything and the plug in 12V adaptor is unseen, so why delve into the fuses at all, I could understand it if the 12V socket was in full view as with my previous (Hyundai) cars, but the Hyundai fuses were easily accessible, MG could make things a lot more user friendly by improving the fuse access.

See my tips above to make things a little easier for front & rear dashcam installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made things very easy by not going into the difficult to access fuse box, but used the cigarette lighter under the phone shelf (MG4 2023 LR) the shelf hides everything and the plug in 12v adaptor is unseen, so why delve into the fuses at all, I could understand it if the 12v socket was in full view as with my previous (Hyundai) cars, but the Hyundai fuses were easily accessible, MG could make things a lot more user friendly by improving the fuse access.
With the cigarette lighter you don't have parking mode

Works in mine, with a Roav dash cam. It has a battery that charges whilst driving, and then is able to record any incidents whilst parked.
For 1 year I have been using a Thinkware T700 in parking mode, without using external batteries. It is set to turn off after X hours or if the 12V battery voltage drops. It works very well. But if you feel good with the battery, keep going 👍

For 1 year I have been using a Thinkware T700 in parking mode, without using external batteries. It is set to turn off after X hours or if the 12v battery voltage drops. It works very well. But if you feel good with the battery, keep going 👍
Yeah, I bought a cheap Alfawise dashcam around 5 years ago and it's just plugged into the 12V port and I unplug it when parked as the port is always 'live' and it would eventually drain the 12V car battery if left plugged in whilst parked or garaged.
The dashcam has it's own battery for parking mode but the problem is that it doesn't turn off after a period so eventually goes flat resulting in it losing the day and time details and needing to be reset occasionally.
Not a big deal and I can live with that. :)

@jamesc83 could you or anyone confirm the fuse tap sizes please as I’ve also seen Mini mentioned in this thread.

I've ordered Micro 2 and Micro 3 taps

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi, the fuses that I used are micro 3 for the switched 12V, like these ones if you need to connect to permanent 12V, then you'll need the micro 2 also.
I attached 2 pictures for the location of the fuse box, as usually there are taken from too close to see where it is for new users. My car is an LHD. For RHD cars, it is at the opposite side.

Fuses for 12V switched connection (micro 3):
1706676611558.png

Fuses for permanent 12V connection (micro 2):
1706676538896.png

fuse-switched-12V-and-perm-12V.jpg
fuse-box-driver-seat-side.jpg

Hi, the fuses that I used are micro 3 for the switched 12V, like these ones if you need to connect to permanent 12V, then you'll need the micro 2 also.
I attached 2 pictures for the location of the fuse box, as usually there are taken from too close to see where it is for new users. My car is an LHD. For RHD cars, it is at the opposite side.

Fuses for 12V switched connection (micro 3):
View attachment 23422

Fuses for permanent 12V connection (micro 2):
View attachment 23421

View attachment 23419View attachment 23420

Thank you

I've looked through these dashcam threads but I cant find what I'm after. Anyone know where I can get one of those short power leads that go from behind the rear view mirror to the dashcam.

I've looked through these dashcam threads but I cant find what I'm after. Anyone know where I can get one of those short power leads that go from behind the rear view mirror to the dashcam.
There are hundreds on Amazon - search for "short usb cable", starting at 150mm / 6 inches.

There are hundreds on Amazon - search for "short usb cable", starting at 150mm / 6 inches.
I think he means behind the rear view mirror; i.e. plug in to the power source that supplies the cabin lights. I don't think there's anything readily available, except maybe on AliExpress. I suppose you could fit mini-taps into the wiring up there and maybe terminate that with a USB plug.

I think he means behind the rear view mirror; i.e. plug in to the power source that supplies the cabin lights. I don't think there's anything readily available, except maybe on AliExpress. I suppose you could fit mini-taps into the wiring up there and maybe terminate that with a USB plug.
His profile lists a ZS EV, which I think already has that from the factory?

My green XPower will be delivered at the end of February. I plan to permanently install a Nextbase Dashcam adjacent to the rearview mirror. Nextbase offer two different installation kits, one simply connecting to the ODB port, the the piggybacking onto a fuse in the cabin fusebox. Can anyone who already owns the Xpower tell me where the OBD port and cabin fusebox are situated and how easy it will be to thread cable from close to the mirror along the top of the windscreen then down the door pillar to one or the other of these connection points?
I'd prefer to do into the fusebox so I don't block the OBD, but it it's substantially easier to connect there, I may consider it.
I don't want to wire into any supply around or near the mirror as the connecting kit has a regulator which will be difficult to disguise, and I believe I need both permanent and ignitiion power to manage the camera properly.
Bonus points if anyone has pictures to help me :)

Edwin

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom