• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Disappointing day today

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I am posting this as a new thread because it concerns serval threads about issues with the MG4.i hope that’s OK admin.
So a couple of weeks back we got a letter of recall for the door locking problem that some have experienced on the mg4 but we have never as yet.1900 miles in.

Rang the dealer and booked it in to have this checked and sorted, had to wait 2/3 weeks but it went in today, when I made that phone call I told the receptionist that there where a few things I would like them to look at. While they had it.
1 Lane keep assist in my opinion Dangerous to use so switch off and never use from when we got the car.
2 Apple CarPlay very unreliable and some of the time hit and miss as to if it works are not, iPhone 13 with a new Apple cable plus i have tried other iPhones of friends and cables of different types the same.
3 Car braking when there is no need to sometimes quite hard while using ACC
4 Headlights always on even on bright sunny days, no reason for them to be.
5 Interior temperature figures totally wrong not that important but can it be checked please.

6 The under tray bulging which was there when we pick up the car on day1, and the salesman said it would be sorted out in due course.
I also asked if they would check for any oil leaks while the had the under tray off not that I have seen any signs of an oil leak on my drive way but others had, and now having doing 1900 miles I was not worried about one.

So to the title Disappointing day, as I said took the car give them both keys just in case they might need them after any updates and went for a walk for a while, and when i return still had to wait a while as I had expected but eventually a heard my name called and went to the service desk to be told.

I needed to bring the car back as because of a computer issue they could not do any updates including the recall for the door locks so then they said but we have found an oil leak, but where unable to do anything about it other than take some pictures to send to MG to get permission to order the parts for repair couldn’t believe it never seen anything but fair enough needs to be fixed.

The bulge in the under tray is Normal, all MG4s come with that and nothing was going to be done about it now I now had a disagreement with the service chap about this issue and he told me the what I had been told by the salesman was incorrect and he must have been mistaken as they in the service area have not heard anything about renewing the trays, and wouldn’t be doing so because it is not a safety issue.

The other things listed above LKA, unnecessary braking, headlights nothing had been changed on these, and when it goes in again they may look at them when they get the computer working correctly.
Apple CarPlay was as far as they can tell by plugging there phone and cable into the car fine no issues.
They will call me when the part for the oil leak arrives, and may need the car for a day or two.
Les.

Hi Les, whilst I comeplety agree with all of these, I just got back into my old car which I had for 14 years today (the 1st ever 170 VW tiguan in the UK from 2008), the new MG4 is not that bad at all really (at least in my eyes) - yes I do agree its not prefect, but just switch them all off, and enable what works best for you. Kind Regards Jonathan

That’s what we do Tig170
I would not have even gone back to the dealers today if the recall letter hadn’t come but while I had to go for that matter I mentioned the other issues never expecting to get everything sorted in one go but got nothing sorted hence my disappointment.
Les

Come on les, is it that bad? - yes I agree it’s not perfect - but get in you old car! - and then compare (in my case the mg4 was cheaper than my vw Tiguan, albeit 14 years later!)

Tig170
Not sure what you mean with the, come on les is it that bad, its a vehicle that me and my wife have spent the best part of £27000 on, which has issues that it shouldn’t have, and which do required attention, remember what I said, they MG Motors sent for me via the recall letter so as I was there I asked the supplying dealer to have a look at them issues and they came up with one I didn’t think I had an oil leak.
I had a Skoda Superb estate before this and apart from a 2.0 Diesel engine to pull it down the road would probably still be driving it today but I’m not. I decided to go for an EV in fact two of them, so now that we have moved on we certainly won’t be going back to anything with a combustion engine unless we have no choice in the matter.
Les

Les.
It's really poor, all the people that are just putting up with stuff is incredible, as you have said you paid good money for your car and for that it should work, for the most part without issue.
Their attitude to the bulge is a disgrace no car would have a scoop facing forward messing with the aerodynamics and catching road debris. It's a tray that has just been forced on because the holes don't line up properly.. they know the issue in the factory and fitted them anyway.
It's a good car but most dealers attitudes and MG's service is firmly budget brand in every way.
It could have and should be so much better.

I am posting this as a new thread because it concerns serval threads about issues with the MG4.i hope that’s OK admin.
So a couple of weeks back we got a letter of recall for the door locking problem that some have experienced on the mg4 but we have never as yet.1900 miles in.

Rang the dealer and booked it in to have this checked and sorted, had to wait 2/3 weeks but it went in today, when I made that phone call I told the receptionist that there where a few things I would like them to look at. While they had it.
1 Lane keep assist in my opinion Dangerous to use so switch off and never use from when we got the car.
2 Apple CarPlay very unreliable and some of the time hit and miss as to if it works are not, iPhone 13 with a new Apple cable plus i have tried other iPhones of friends and cables of different types the same.
5 Interior temperature figures totally wrong not that important but can it be checked please.

6 The under tray bulging which was there when we pick up the car on day1, and the salesman said it would be sorted out in due course.
I also asked if they would check for any oil leaks while the had the under tray off not that I have seen any signs of an oil leak on my drive way but others had, and now having doing 1900 miles I was not worried about one.

So to the title Disappointing day, as I said took the car give them both keys just in case they might need them after any updates and went for a walk for a while, and when i return still had to wait a while as I had expected but eventually a heard my name called and went to the service desk to be told.

I needed to bring the car back as because of a computer issue they could not do any updates including the recall for the door locks so then they said but we have found an oil leak, but where unable to do anything about it other than take some pictures to send to MG to get permission to order the parts for repair couldn’t believe it never seen anything but fair enough needs to be fixed.

The bulge in the under tray is Normal, all MG4s come with that and nothing was going to be done about it now I now had a disagreement with the service chap about this issue and he told me the what I had been told by the salesman was incorrect and he must have been mistaken as they in the service area have not heard anything about renewing the trays, and wouldn’t be doing so because it is not a safety issue.

The other things listed above LKA, unnecessary braking, headlights nothing had been changed on these, and when it goes in again they may look at them when they get the computer working correctly.
Apple CarPlay was as far as they can tell by plugging there phone and cable into the car fine no issues.
They will call me when the part for the oil leak arrives, and may need the car for a day or two.
Les.
How frustrating. Really disappointing. Two obvious questions spring to mind:
1. There must be a design drawing for this part. What does the drawing show?
2. Was the WLTP test done with this air scoop in place? If not, is MG knowingly selling cars with 'design features' that would give different figures than the published WLTP score?

If the dealer isn't interested and customer services aren't interested I'd be tempted to raise a complaint with the MD at this point

I am on the brink of rejecting my MG4. Dealer just has zero communication and a long list of issues to look at. Never know a Dealer have such lack of respect for customers. They did say they were on the brink of losing the MG franchise and no wonder. For the 1 email I have got out of them, they are blaming MG.

I am on the brink of rejecting my MG4. Dealer just has zero communication and a long list of issues to look at. Never know a Dealer have such lack of respect for customers. They did say they were on the brink of losing the MG franchise and no wonder. For the 1 email I have got out of them, they are blaming MG.
We have the same dealer if I recall correctly, my experience has been interesting from a lack of undertray being td.itnwas normal to MG going no it's not, to having it fitted, but getting answers wasn't too hard, I just had to persistently pester to get firm responses regarding timescales for repairs.

And car is going back in for them to look at an intermittent autohold fault but the servicing team rang me to see howi was getting on after an update they'd done

Reported to the dealer 3 weeks ago when I got the car and got zero communication from them. Had to go to the area manager. Kept reporting it and it might just get parked in front of the front door if nothing is done. Reported to finance company and MG customer service. Never know such bad customer service. It wont go away so deal with it.

Les.
Gosh you were up late posting this. But you are quite right to be disappointed and frustrated and annoyed and exasperated. I know that I would.
The thing is that you and many other customers seem to know, with experience much more about the MG4 than either the salesman and I would say the service people who have probably never driven the car.
But at the end of the day, what can you do. Apart from a letter detailing everything here to the head of MG UK.
Best of luck Les.

Yes. You are having to contend with an unresponsive dealer and manufacturer which is doubly unacceptable.

If the dealer isn't interested and customer services aren't interested I'd be tempted to raise a complaint with the MD at this point
The only snag with that approach is that any correspondence sent to MD is handled by a certain Mr G Smart. When I say “handled”, I mean any concerns you raise will be ignored, belittled and minimised and you will be directed back to your dealer. I know from experience.

How bad do you have to be to lose an MG franchise, MG don't exactly set a high bar!

Les.
Unfortunately you are describing a pretty typical visit to the dealership. It‘s ok when it is just a straightforward service, but when things get a bit more challenging the customer suffers.

We have the same dealer if I recall correctly, my experience has been interesting from a lack of undertray being td.itnwas normal to MG going no it's not, to having it fitted, but getting answers wasn't too hard, I just had to persistently pester to get firm responses regarding timescales for repairs.

And car is going back in for them to look at an intermittent autohold fault but the servicing team rang me to see howi was getting on after an update they'd done
It’s a a if they are on commission if they can get away with fitting warranty items.

Why oh why are dealers still not prepared to rectify these oils leaks?? Still ‘sending pics‘ to MG.
It’s a known issue - get stock of the parts and fit them! I don’t believe ‘the computer issue’ either. zero credibility.

What I don't get with any dealer is how they cold help themselves and stop complaints is just communicate with customers. IF this dealer would simply let us know what's going on when we call or email them it would help. But they choose to just ignore emails and calls thinking its going to go away, Well its not. I will just block the door and then they will deal with it. Sad that dealers have got this 'we have your money/order so tuff' attitude. I am not a customer who will just let them ignore me.

What I don't get with any dealer is how they cold help themselves and stop complaints is just communicate with customers. IF this dealer would simply let us know what's going on when we call or email them it would help. But they choose to just ignore emails and calls thinking its going to go away, Well its not. I will just block the door and then they will deal with it. Sad that dealers have got this 'we have your money/order so tuff' attitude. I am not a customer who will just let them ignore me.
Crazy. It’s very basic customer service stuff. The standards are appalling.
As I’ve said before, they’re ok generally with basic ‘servicing’ and taking your money for that, but when they have to apply good communication and common sense most will fall well short.
Even just having a to-do list of customers to call and update regularly, seems beyond some dealerships. No ownership.

Genuinely feeling bad for your experience @Les burrows, you deserve better. I‘ve been saying since the outset of Oilgate that there will be many owners blissfully unaware they have the oil leak and MG are fully aware of this. When they say it’s just a few people affected they are telling lies and they know they are. The reaction from your dealer re the tray is also scandalous, if I were in your shoes I would put a complaint, in writing, to the MD of the franchise you deal with stating that it is not fit for purpose and must be rectified. No point in writing to MG MD, we know already that they are completely indifferent and actively refuse to engage, they will simply send you back to the dealer.

I wonder - are MG really that much worse than other manufacturers/dealers?
These ongoing issues with the MG4 have certainly exposed their weaknesses.
I get the sense though, that this is and always has been an industrywide issue.
It’s further compounded by the introduction of EV’s where product knowledge is generally extremely poor, leading to even more BS and poor service

I wonder - are MG really that much worse than other manufacturers/dealers?
These ongoing issues with the MG4 have certainly exposed their weaknesses.
I get the sense though, that this is and always has been an industrywide issue.
It’s further compounded by the introduction of EV’s where product knowledge is generally extremely poor, leading to even more BS and poor service
It depends what you are talking about.

In terms of producing a desirable car at a great price: MG are leaders.
In terms of communication and general organisation: MG are worse than many.
In terms of response time and trying to do something about issues: MG are pretty darn fast.
In terms of debugging the car before it is released: MG are below average (but not compared to manufacturers like VW).
In terms of cost-cutting: MG are at the forefront, but that brings its own problems.

One of the big problems is the franchised dealer model, which is not specific to MG. Once upon a time when your local garage could take the car apart and reassemble, it made sense. But in highly software-driven environment with sealed components it can just be a barrier and a miscommunication creator. Tesla have it right with the direct sales and service model I think.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 424 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back