Driving MG4 in Europe - headlamps and kph

wandle MG4 trophy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I asked MG Customer services which headlamp deflectors I would need if driving in Europe and also whether the speedometer changed automatically from MPH to KPH based on GPS position. This was the reply:

“The MG4 includes what is known as a flat beam. No adjustment is therefore required for European driving, certainly not on temporary basis anyway.
Unfortunately, you cannot change between MPH and KMPH”

I find it odd that you cannot change to KPH. Cars with analogue speedos also have a smaller KPH scale so at least you could check your speed in KPH

Can anyone who has driven a UK spec MG4 in Europe say what happens to the speedo?

many thanks

Have you checked the "units" setting on the Infotainment? I have facelift MG ZS EV with a very similar Infotainment and it's buried in the menus.

“The MG4 includes what is known as a flat beam. No adjustment is therefore required for European driving, certainly not on temporary basis anyway.
Of course you can. I can't believe that MG themselves gave you that information. Go to "Settings - General - Units" and you can choose between miles and km. This also changes the related units in the driver's display, so kWh/100km become Miles/kWh.

You can even change the language to English, mine was in German when I picked it up, including the navigation directions, so I guess when you get to Europe you can change it to the local language and have all your directions in French/German/Italian/Spanish etc to get you in the mood.

You can even change the language to English, mine was in German when I picked it up, including the navigation directions, so I guess when you get to Europe you can change it to the local language and have all your directions in French/German/Italian/Spanish etc to get you in the mood.
Beats Duolingo I suppose...

I would query this. If you test your dipped headlights in the dark against a wall some distance away, I think you will find the the left beam is set slightly higher than the right. (They were on my Trophy, and were also both set too low.)

If you travel to the continent, it would therefore seem sensible to reverse this setup, making the right one higher than the left. For how to do the adjustment, see my post #38 on thread Snagging list after 1000m - which will also allow you to alter the lights if they are too low.

Alternatively, to make the headlights truly 'flat beam', you could consider just lowering the left beam to be the same height as the right. Does anybody have any views on this?

(Updated 12 July 2023) It isn't as simple as which light is higher: it is built into both the left and the right headlamps. The beam pattern isn't flat (a symmetrical horizontal cut-off) on my MG4 Trophy (bought in UK in July 2023): there is a 'kick up' on the nearside to illuminate the road edge, signposts and see (& unfortunately also dazzle!) pedestrians. Moreover the headlamp unit is marked "E4 HCR→" that arrow means "Low beam suitable only for use in Left Hand Traffic" (and don't mistake the arrow pointing the other way beside the letter 'A' which shows side the position lamp / sidelight is for). If they were adjustable for left or right hand traffic there would be a double ended arrow pointing both ways: 'HCR ↔' with a means of switching it from one to the other.

A kick-up of some type for dipped beams is usual for motor vehicles in Europe, including the UK, but other beam patterns do exist. My MG4 Trophy Long Range does have a 'kick-up', a step up to a higher horizontal line (not a big diagonal kick-up like some European vehicles). On crossing the channel the higher section becomes dazzling to drivers and fails to do its job of illuminating the roadside. The kick-up is within the pattern of both the left and the right headlamps, it's not just that the headlamp on one side is higher than the other, so you can't reverse it by raising or lowering the beam. (You might reduce how much it dazzles at the expense how far is illuminated but I doubt you could achieve legal dipping, let alone optimal safety.) In each country we have to comply with their rules on roadworthiness, for example in the UK, MOT tests have very specific requirements so that dipped beams must not be too low, nor shine towards oncoming traffic. There are specific angles and tolerances (and alternative rules for different beam patterns).

The difference between the two sections of the beam is due to different angles of two pairs of LEDs and reflectors on each side and that makes it easy to fit beam converters. It seems to me likely that this arrangement is favoured by manufacturers so all that's needed is a small tweak somewhere when they make the lights to change which side is higher, and a corresponding change of the labels. This simplifies making light for different countries. However, the adjustment screws act on the whole light assembly and don't change each pair of LEDs separately: that's fixed at the time of manufacture. If they made a headlamp that was switchable, to comply with Regulation 112 UN/ECE it would have to be marked 'HCR ↔' with only two possible positions, dipping left or right but nothing in-between. Perhaps MG should look under the bonnet at the labels before answering questions!

Unless headlights lights are switchable for different sides of the road or a symmetrical flat dipped beam pattern, carefully placed beam converters to remove the kick-up are essential. (Ian Key kindly pointed out that a purpose designed converter ought to be less likely to damage the lens than black insulating tape and some adhesive tapes would definitely cause damage). The kick-up is very helpful and safer when on the on the correct side (but not required); on the wrong side it's dazzling and unsafe; motoring organizations say it is illegal in many countries, so it could land you in trouble with the law as well as with other drivers.

At least on my MG4 it's the centre pair of LED lamps in the headlamp assembly on each side of the car that needs converters to divert or block the top part of the beam. Follow the instructions for the converters. It is also easy to see if the kick-up is removed: when it isn't too bright and sunny, with dip beams pointing to a pale wall or door to see the effect, the correct area that needs diverting or blocking is nicely obvious even in dull daylight if the lights aren't perfectly clean! it's the top part of where the centre pair of lights shines through illuminating the outer clear plastic. Observe the effect on the wall to ensure you obscure all of the kick-up, leaving an horizontal top that matches the line of the outer pair of lamps. You have to do this to the lights on both sides of the vehicle. Then enjoy travelling.

Last edited:
I'd prefer to adjust the nearside headlight to sticking something on the lens but if you do use something designed for the job so the adhesive doesn't attack the surface of the lens.

The kick-up is very helpful and safer when on the on the correct side (but not required); on the wrong side it's dazzling, unsafe, illegal and could land you in trouble with the law as well as with other drivers.
Are you saying that UK versions of the MG4 are illegal to drive in Europe? That is how I read your post. Can you confirm?

It isn't as simple as which light is higher. The beam pattern isn't entirely flat on my MG4 Trophy: there is a 'kick up' on the nearside to illuminate the road edge, signposts and see (& unfortunately also dazzle!) pedestrians. A kick-up of some type is usual in Europe (including UK). USA types & flat beam patterns are different. MG4s (at least ones like mine) don't have the 'E' style diagonal kick-up, but a step up to a higher horizontal line. The flatness of this may be why MG called it flat beam, but on crossing the channel the higher section becomes dazzling to drivers and fails to do its job of illuminatung the roadside. The kick-up is within the pattern of each headlamp, not just that the lamp on one side is higher than the other, so you can't reverse it by raising or lowering the beam. (You might reduce how much it dazzles at the expense how far is illuminated but I doubt you could achieve legal dipping, let alone optimal safety).

The difference between the two sections of the beam is due to different angles of two pairs of LEDs and reflecors on each side. It seems to me likely that this arrangement is favoured by manufacturers so all that's needed is a small tweak somewhere to change which side is higher, rather than needing to make different types of light for different countries. However, the obvious adjustment screws act on the whole light assembly and don't change each pair separately.

Some cars, especially ones with dazzly bluish bright HID lamps, have a left/right dipping adjustment for driving on the left/right, and some do have flat beams with no kick-up that are suitable either side of the road IF correctly adjusted, but without either of these aids, carefully placed beam deflectors or blockers to remove the kick-up are essential (black tape works). The kick-up is very helpful and safer when on the on the correct side (but not required); on the wrong side it's dazzling, unsafe, illegal and could land you in trouble with the law as well as with other drivers.

If changing the relatve angles / heights of each pair is reasonably practical, then setting them at equal angles woud make the pattern flat for regular cross-channel commuters, and changing over which is higher would suit well for a long time the other side. However, for shortish trips, it's easy to use tape to cover the relevant part of the light to remove the kick-up. It's the centre pair of lamps on each side; when it isn't too bright and sunny, with dip beams pointing to a pale wall or door to see the effect, cover the top part of where the centre pair of lights shines through illuminating the outer clear plastic: the right area is nicely obvious if the lights aren't perfectly clean! Observe the effect on the wall to ensure you obscure all of the kick-up, leaving an horizontal top that matches the line of the outer pair of lamps. Then enjoy travelling.
This, the beam is not flat (certainly not on my Throphy), you need to mask off the nearside 'kick up' on both lamps.

I asked MG Customer services which headlamp deflectors I would need if driving in Europe and also whether the speedometer changed automatically from MPH to KPH based on GPS position. This was the reply:

I find it odd that you cannot change to KPH. Cars with analogue speedos also have a smaller KPH scale so at least you could check your speed in KPH

Can anyone who has driven a UK spec MG4 in Europe say what happens to the speedo?

many thanks

As far as I am aware it is illegal to drive in Europe without a km/hr display on your dashboard. I remember on the Golf forum when I got my last car some die-hards wanted to get rid of the km/hr display (which was there along with mph in that car) and they were told it was a legal requirement for it to be there.

As we're no longer subject to EU law I presume it's not an offence to drive in Britain without km/hr displaying, but I'm damn sure it's illegal to drive in Europe like that. Was MG customer service trying to tell you the MG4 is illegal to drive on the continent in its UK spec?

They might have meant that there is no automatic switch governed by GPS, and that you have to switch it by hand, but if so they should have said so.

Are you saying that UK versions of the MG4 are illegal to drive in Europe? That is how I read your post. Can you confirm?
You mustn't dazzle oncoming drivers. In the UK it is law, summarised in the Highway Code as "You MUST NOT use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders ... Law RVLR reg 27". EU countries have regulations too.
- you should expect similar laws wherever you drive, as well as specific ones about headlight beam patterns and aim which try to minimise dazzle and still maintain good visibility: driving with wrongly adjusted lights (too low, too high or wrong beam) could break the law and it's so important (contributing to hundreds of accidents a year according to the UK government) as well as a lot of annoyance and discomfort for other road users that it is checked every MOT test in the UK, with similar checks in the EU. MOT rules in the UK definitively state converters are acceptable as a temporary measure on foreign registered vehicles provided they make the lights meet the required light pattern (with no kick-up). However, when importing a left-hand drive VW Passat permanently into the UK I had to have the lights replaced and more stringently tested. Laws vary from country to country (even within the EU where harmonization rules greatly simplify crossing borders between member states). Other countries may be similar to the UK but you would have to check carefully wherever you intend to go (motoring organizations offer some basic guidance). Appropriate converters are likely to keep you out of trouble as a visitor, but I can't offer legal advice.
I'd prefer to adjust the nearside headlight to sticking something on the lens but if you do use something designed for the job so the adhesive doesn't attack the surface of the lens.
You are right about the tape adhesive risk, Ian, thank you. I have amended my post to acknowledge this. But both headlamps have the kick-up, not just the nearside light, so just angling the nearside light down isn't going to work

You mustn't dazzle oncoming drivers. In the UK it is law, summarised in the Highway Code as "You MUST NOT use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders ... Law RVLR reg 27". EU countries have regulations too.
- you should expect similar laws wherever you drive, as well as specific ones about headlight beam patterns and aim which try to minimise dazzle and still maintain good visibility: driving with wrongly adjusted lights (too low, too high or wrong beam) could break the law and it's so important (contributing to hundreds of accidents a year according to the UK government) as well as a lot of annoyance and discomfort for other road users that it is checked every MOT test in the UK, with similar checks in the EU. MOT rules in the UK definitively state converters are acceptable as a temporary measure on foreign registered vehicles provided they make the lights meet the required light pattern (with no kick-up). However, when importing a left-hand drive VW Passat permanently into the UK I had to have the lights replaced and more stringently tested. Laws vary from country to country (even within the EU where harmonization rules greatly simplify crossing borders between member states). Other countries may be similar to the UK but you would have to check carefully wherever you intend to go (motoring organizations offer some basic guidance). Appropriate converters are likely to keep you out of trouble as a visitor, but I can't offer legal advice.

You are right about the tape adhesive risk, Ian, thank you. I have amended my post to acknowledge this. But both headlamps have the kick-up, not just the nearside light, so just angling the nearside light down isn't going to work

A very long answer and you quote regulations that I am fully aware of but you haven’t answered my question. Which is: Are you saying that the MG4 as supplied by dealers in the UK with the factory set lighting is illegal to drive in Europe on right hand drive roads without some sort of modification? This is what you appear to say in post 10 and is counter to the advice from the manufacturer which AFAIK is that we are legal to drive in Europe as standard, please someone correct me if that is not what MG are saying.

If you are saying that the current factory lighting setup is illegal for Europe despite what MG tell us then this is quite serious hence why I ask for clarification.

A very long answer and you quote regulations that I am fully aware of but you haven’t answered my question. Which is: Are you saying that the MG4 as supplied by dealers in the UK with the factory set lighting is illegal to drive in Europe on right hand drive roads without some sort of modification? This is what you appear to say in post 10 and is counter to the advice from the manufacturer which AFAIK is that we are legal to drive in Europe as standard, please someone correct me if that is not what MG are saying.

If you are saying that the current factory lighting setup is illegal for Europe despite what MG tell us then this is quite serious hence why I ask for clarification.
Sorry, but the only definitive answer I can give is where I say "I can't offer legal advice".

However I quote reference to one European but non-EU country (UK) where dazzling drivers is definitely illegal ('Must' in Highway Code is not just guidance, it references to specific law). I also refer you to motoring organisations for advice and say look up laws for where you are going - although interpretation of them is up to courts (and in practice police policy may be more relevant). It is very widely known that you should fit beam converters (or have the headlamps adapted) when driving on the opposite side of the road from where your car is designed to drive. If you need better than that you will have to ask lawyers.

Last edited:
Well, if they're prepared to tell people it's impossible for a UK spec to be switched to show the speed in km/hr, which to the best of my knowledge would mean that the car was illegal to drive on the continent, what else are they missing?

The kick-up is very helpful and safer when on the on the correct side (but not required); on the wrong side it's dazzling, unsafe, illegal and could land you in trouble with the law as well as with other drivers.

Sorry, but the only definitive answer I can give is where I say "I can't offer legal advice".

Probably best then to not state so categorically in post 10 your assertion on the legality of the MG4 lights. Your post clearly states that MG4 lights as is are “unsafe, illegal“

It is very widely known that you should fit beam converters (or have the headlamps adapted) when driving on the opposite side of the road from where your car is designed to drive.

Which is contrary to the advice given by the manufacturer relating to the MG4

You should report your concerns to the DVSA and then they can take the required action if MG have this wrong.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel