Efficacy of Aero Wheel Covers

All black aero covers and steel wheels on the SE in France. No priv glass either. I like it.

Screenshot_20220923-122053.png

Yes, funny thing - this morning I was wondering (again) what an SE with just the black steels would look like and concluded that it would have pretty good retro look, and you could put some nice Cross Climates on them so with 16s you might even get better than published range.

Yes, I dream when I'm not wondering 😉

Anyone know why a different wheel size in Europe. Electric cars have a reputation for being uncomfortably hard due to battery weight and desire to be sporty (I suffered a Polestar for three months . Lovely car but couldn’t live with the ride) so if 16s give a more comfortable ride then I would be up for that. Not taken the MG4 plunge yet so unable to comment about ride.

Anyone know why a different wheel size in Europe. Electric cars have a reputation for being uncomfortably hard due to battery weight and desire to be sporty (I suffered a Polestar for three months . Lovely car but couldn’t live with the ride) so if 16s give a more comfortable ride then I would be up for that. Not taken the MG4 plunge yet so unable to comment about ride.
Ride quality on UK wheels is excellent, when the car is not in the garage waiting for oil leak fix that is 😂

PS Black wheels are awesome and if I do get a SR I’ll get the rear windows replaced with tinted EDIT: privacy glass.
PPS I’m 67 so no accusations of boy racer valid. Immature or senile maybe.

Last edited:
No one’s been able to answer the original question on the thread. Back to topic. Wheels and go faster stripes a new thread?

sorry for multiple posts . Learning how to edit this stuff.

When I test drove an SE SR the ride quality was really good. And pretty much all review videos have complimented the ride quality.

PS - I think the SE is supposed to come with standard rear tints on the windows? (It's just that the first batch inadvertently came with privacy glass rather than tints). That's what the Specs section on the MG website says (under the Vehicle Exterior section).

Aero covers always give an aerodynamic benefit and increase range, that’s why they are there. No-one has measured with or without yet AFAIK.

I guess it depends on your priorities.

I have detested the modern trend towards massive wheels with ultra-low profile tyres, terrible ride and super-expensive tyre replacements. I want small efficient wheels with rubber that is inexpensive and a great ride, so the MG4’s 17 inchers suit me well.

Totally get that it looks better with something bigger but I don’t care. I never see the wheels when driving.

All black aero covers and steel wheels on the SE in France. No priv glass either. I like it.

View attachment 11082
Can't believe how much better imo that looks compared to the UK versions.
Of course there are steel wheels under the trims, and 16'', and i wonder that if you could get those trims in 17'' to replace the aero covers on UK version, they'd cover the underying silver alloy 'lip' of the UK wheels (whch you can see when the silver UK aero covers are on).

Tesla model 3 apparently sees 3-5% range improvement with aero covers on (varies with speed / driving conditions etc…).
You know what, now that I have written that I am wondering whether the covers are actually worth it. Could be nice to have some pretty 17 inch alloys instead. Would I really miss 3-5%? Probably not.

My comments stand re: bigger wheels though.

Given a choice between alloy wheels with covers or heat pump, I know which one I would choose

are we so vain as a nation?

or is it a spotty teenager in the UK headquarters are making these decisions

You know what, now that I have written that I am wondering whether the covers are actually worth it. Could be nice to have some pretty 17 inch alloys instead. Would I really miss 3-5%? Probably not.

My comments stand re: bigger wheels though.
They do look ok without the covers on too.
I've just bought some centre caps for mine to try it without.

FB_IMG_1664390578884.jpg

FB_IMG_1664390678925.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
These
Buwei 4pcs 56mm Car Wheel Center Hub Caps Universal ABS Vehicle Tyre Tire Rim Cover https://amzn.eu/d/17Gagh0

Then some of these to finish them off
Like to see some pics of them on when you get them

These
Buwei 4pcs 56mm Car Wheel Center Hub Caps Universal ABS Vehicle Tyre Tire Rim Cover https://amzn.eu/d/17Gagh0

Then some of these to finish them off
And which centre hub caps did you buy? (Unless I'm misreading that item description then they're just the stick-on labels - you still need the centre hub caps to stick the labels on to?)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back