Efficacy of Aero Wheel Covers

Like the previous definitions: hub caps and wheel trims, I think 'gimmick' is another.

Clearly a large wheel 21" / 22" (šŸ˜±) will have very low profile tyres therefore the actual wheel rim will be much closer to the ground and much more likely to be below the height of standard kerbs compared to a 16" wheel with high profile tyres.

The arithmetic suggests that the rim of a 22" wheel will be 3" closer to the ground than a 16" wheel.

The risk of kerbing is additionally dependant on the overall diameter of the tyre / wheel combination which obviously varies considerably depending on the vehicle to which it is fitted.

In addition, large wheels with low profile tyres have higher rolling resistance which requires more fuel, be it oil or grid based, to overcome it.
Yes definitely.
My current Ford Fiesta Vignale was fitted with 18" rims from new. And to keep the correct gear ratios, it came with low profile tyres.
It has been a disaster because all 4 rims have been damaged by getting too close to the kerbs.
So I for one am very happy that the MG4 comes with plastic hub caps.

I have never had the wheel covers fitted, asked my dealer to leave them in the boot which they did and off their own bat fitted MG branded centres (from another MG model apparently) and also supplied and fitted locking wheel nuts. I prefer the look, and like others have mentioned a light right foot does perhaps more for economy than glitzy wheel covers do..

I think it was jester who posted pictures of his wheels with the covers off and centre caps added they looked pretty good. I'm sure someone else has mentioned the same and planned to get the wheels powder coated black.
There was a mention of a drop in efficiency with removing the covers, would just be guessing if I said, someone will remember

They just look better than the alloys underneath.
MG clearly knew theyā€™d be covered and made no attempt to style them to the car and then also painted them silver, which is at least 10 years out of date for alloys.
Taking the covers off harms the looks of the car to a massive degree IMO.

I'm sure someone else has mentioned the same and planned to get the wheels powder coated black.

@Stageshoot was going to do that, but I can't recall seeing the photos.

There was a mention of a drop in efficiency with removing the covers

For Tesla M3 a figure of 2-3% at highway speed is quoted, and considerably less at lower speeds. Given how far recessed the MG4 tyres are I'd say it'll be less bad, and if you aren't always at 70+ it'll probably get to the point of being unmeasurable.

I have never had the wheel covers fitted, asked my dealer to leave them in the boot which they did and off their own bat fitted MG branded centres (from another MG model apparently) and also supplied and fitted locking wheel nuts. I prefer the look, and like others have mentioned a light right foot does perhaps more for economy than glitzy wheel covers do..
Care to post a picture ?

Not the best photography, 'twas raining cats and dogs when I went out.
Wheel.jpg

And which wheels were they meant to be fitted too ... Hmm - Looks good

& from a distance - how do they look ?
I spoke to my local dealership, apparently they are from an MG3, part number 1007 1402 but I think I have read somewhere on the forum that Ali Express can supply the caps with the MG logo.
As mentioned above the are 56mm.

I will try to get a better picture tomorrow - when the rain stops!

As far as economy without aero covers, local use is returning 3.2 miles/kW.
I plan to visit my son next month which will be a 200 mile motorway trip so with higher speeds that might be a more useful efficiency test.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel