Do you think that ev charging is expensive on public stations (apps take 50% commission on average)

• Yes

Votes: 54 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't use any apps

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters
And I could produce a graph that debunks that entirely when all associated and indirect factors are considered. Then you have to ask why are the data presentations so conflicting. That is what I am researching.
As Carl Sagan said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". So, when you are ready . . . :)

Depreciation is by far the largest cost of ownership and no-one really saves any money driving an EV, especially given the significant premium over the price of an equivalent combustion car. Over the lifetime from manufacture to disposal a large EV has slightly more carbon footprint than an equivalent diesel.
I wonder why you have singled out EV's for depreciation? Any new vehicle loses a significant chunk of money when it is driven off the dealership lot, proportiional to its cost.

And are you including drilling for oil, refining oil, transporting the finished product and the single use of that product in your carbon footprint claims?

There are many claims and counter claims about this, however, not all the claims take into account all factors. The scientific process is to publish a paper with references, and then that publication is reviewed by peers to either validate it or point out the errors.

Indeed. For my Mercedes E-class estate the break-even point is as low as 45p. Depreciation is by far the largest cost of ownership and no-one really saves any money driving an EV, especially given the significant premium over the price of an equivalent combustion car. Over the lifetime from manufacture to disposal a large EV has slightly more carbon footprint than an equivalent diesel. We drive our EV’s for lots of other reasons, and I love driving my wife’s MG4 Trophy.

And it is seldom 7.5p because you have to factor in the premium you pay on those tariffs for all the daytime units you consume outside of any solar generated.
Point 1 has been dubunked by so many experts.
Point 2 the daytime 'premium' is virtually non-existent with Octopus and doesn't exist at all with OVO.

As Carl Sagan said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". So, when you are ready . . . :)
I am not going to bite on that. Like I said, the evidence Is conflicted and vested interests greatly affect presentation. One simple example; the renewable mix from energy companies have headline grabbing levels but the electricity reaching us is more like 40% renewable and slightly less at nighttime when renewables are less dependable. In large countries like the US some night time production may come entirely from a fossil fuel power station.
I wonder why you have singled out EV's for depreciation? Any new vehicle loses a significant chunk of money when it is driven off the dealership lot, proportiional to its cost.

And are you including drilling for oil, refining oil, transporting the finished product and the single use of that product in your carbon footprint claims?

There are many claims and counter claims about this, however, not all the claims take into account all factors. The scientific process is to publish a paper with references, and then that publication is reviewed by peers to either validate it or point out the errors.
I did not single out EV’s. However, I was concerned the other day to learn that my NG 4 Trophy has lost one-third of its value in just 6-months of ownership.

Getting back to the topic , I have received a reply from Electroverse re the charging price :-

"Just looked into this and the 64p rate is correct. I'm just discussing the situation with the team to figure out why it may not display it consistently.
There is possibly some rules that focus on them being under 40kWs but may not be in place as we'd usually expect.
Thank you for your support and patience,"

So it would seem from that that 64p per kWh is correct . That's 28% above above the 50p charged by Connected Kerb .
I would suggest that Electroverse users query the price before charging or better still use the Connected Kerb app .

So @mg4mc and myself are showing the Connected Kerb price in the Electroverse app (less any Octopus customer discount) and yours is showing a totally weird price that seems to have nothing to do with the Connected Kerb price. It would be interesting to see what price is showing for others - anyone else help please - to see which is the odd ones out. For me I would say the 64p is not right for some reason.

In the Electroverse FAQs it says

'The rates reflected on the Electroverse network are provided by the charge point operators, and where possible, we add exclusive discounts! We also never charge any subscription or transaction fees. This means a low-cost and convenient public charging service for you.

The latest pricing for every operator and each specific charging point is displayed in the Electroverse app.

We always recommend checking the rates on the app before you start a session. Rates can change in line with charging operators passing through new prices (this can be due to the end of government support and relief schemes, energy wholesale prices increasing, etc.)'

That answer was given to me by Electroverse and , if my English comprehension is corect , states that 64p is the rate and that he is investigating with the team why the charging price is showing inconsistenly . He may have the facts wrong , I don't know . I am an Octopus customer , though not on Go because I have no charging facility at home . Maybe that makes a difference once again I don't know .
I am merely advising people to contact Octopus and check the current charges before using Connected Kerb . If it is 64p , use the Connected Kerb app for 50p or Bonnet where it's 53p , less if you have a Boost .
Maybe Connected Kerb have an increase in the pipeline ? I've not received an email from them as I did when they increased it from 35p to 50p ( about a month before if memory serves .
Further to this my Electroverse app updated this morning and still shows at 64p .
Total confusion :)

That answer was given to me by Electroverse and , if my English comprehension is corect , states that 64p is the rate and that he is investigating with the team why the charging price is showing inconsistenly . He may have the facts wrong , I don't know . I am an Octopus customer , though not on Go because I have no charging facility at home . Maybe that makes a difference once again I don't know .
I am merely advising people to contact Octopus and check the current charges before using Connected Kerb . If it is 64p , use the Connected Kerb app for 50p or Bonnet where it's 53p , less if you have a Boost .
Maybe Connected Kerb have an increase in the pipeline ? I've not received an email from them as I did when they increased it from 35p to 50p ( about a month before if memory serves .
Further to this my Electroverse app updated this morning and still shows at 64p .
Total confusion :)
Yep total confusion, my app is still showing 50p.
I'm sure your English comprehension is fine, but sometimes customer service personnel don't always have the answer to hand. He may be right, he might not be, hence my request for help from others as to what price is being shown for whom and to see if there is a common theme. e.g Octopus customer or not.
Curious as to why even on the web we are seeing different prices at Rhondda Fach Leisure Centre, CF43 3HR (as the example). You 64p and for me, not signed in it shows 53p , signed in it shows 50p which makes sense as the 50p includes an Octopus customer discount.

EV charges should be compared with home tariffs. In Greece (currently) EV charges are too high and are comparable with petrol/gas consumption (in $/100km) of a Euro6d petrol or gas hev car.
However with net-metering for sunny countries it is free...

I'm sure your English comprehension is fine, but sometimes customer service personnel don't always have the answer to hand. He may be right, he might not be, hence my request for help from others as to what price is being shown for whom and to see if there is a common theme. e.g Octopus customer or not.
Curious as to why even on the web we are seeing different prices at Rhondda Fach Leisure Centre, CF43 3HR (as the example). You 64p and for me, not signed in it shows 53p , signed in it shows 50p which makes sense as the 50p includes an Octopus customer discount.
More mystery now . I'm an Octopus customer and it's always shown as 3p above whatever CK chargeo_O

I can confirm that as an Octopus GO user, my Electoverse app shows 50p Kwh and the Connected Kerb app shows 50p Kwh for the location Rhondda Fach Sports Centre.👴

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231104_172249_Connected Kerb.jpg
    Screenshot_20231104_172249_Connected Kerb.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20231104_172321_Electroverse.jpg
    Screenshot_20231104_172321_Electroverse.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 46
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back