Ev charging tariff rip offs

There is no way I would have one of these "cheap" tariffs, I have no wish to start having to instruct my wife as to when she can, or can't, use the washing machine, tumble drier etc. With my Podpoint charger it shuts down when it detects a large load from the house, so no way to take advantage of the cheap rates for charging if the appliances are running.
This is why ovo do a flat rate mine last week was 28p 20p sanding but has the benefits of charging any time for 5p no clock watching

Having just come to the end of a two-year fix at the end of February with EDF energy, Where I was paying just over £.15 per kilowatt for all my electricity, I am now on the standard variable rate which will be going up to nearly £.30p per kilowatt at the end of this month from the 1st of April. However having looked intoThe alternatives I am quite shocked and surprised to find the reality of the overnight charging deals requiring gas to be included with Edf and the gas goes up by 4p per kilowatt with an attendant increase also In the daily standing charge and the reality is when you work out the whole deal over the course of the year that yes you can charge for five hours a night at 4.5p per kilowatt but overall it works out as more expensive than staying with the capped standard variable rate, and in order to make a fair comparison I actually increased the standard variable capped rate from October by another 20%. Based on exactly the same offtake of electricity and gas as I actually use the total cost using the nighttime tariff works out approximately £200 per annum more than sticking with the standard variable. The trouble is that both Octopus and Edf talk about cheap charging rates. This is a long way from the truth when you work out the increased cost for the other electricity and gas and balance out the whole bill. Therefore I come to the conclusion that my charging is going to cost me approximately £.30p per kilowatt over the course of this year which is likely to be in the region of 8 to 9p per mile obviously still cheaper than petrol or diesel but nowhere near the cost competitive advantage it used to be. The thing I really don’t like is the degree of smoke and mirrors that the energy companies are using and it makes it very difficult to work out quickly or easily. These nighttime deals actually are a disadvantage on the basis that they’re quoting now because you have to charge within given parameters to get a cheap rate whilst paying more for all of your daytime usage electricity and inexplicably paying more for your gas and standard variable rate including the daily charge. I only post this to say to people who haven’t worked it out don’t be fooled. It’s a rip off!.
This is not supporting the move to green energy either. What is the regulator doing about these practices.
Totally agree with your comments, having had my MG5LR now for three months and my fixed rate stopping last month, while waiting for the car and during the last three months I have noticed a great difficulty in getting precise information from many of the utility suppliers. I understand there will be increases, but as you say there is always a barrier to change, and you really have to dig deep and ask searching questions to get the detail you require, and in some cases you know more than the person your speaking too. I have decided to stay on the variable rate at the moment as it is more beneficial at the moment, with a lower gas rate than any of the suppliers offering so called EV packages 👍

There is no way I would have one of these "cheap" tariffs, I have no wish to start having to instruct my wife as to when she can, or can't, use the washing machine, tumble drier etc.
You don't have to. Men can use washing machines and tumble driers too.

I know this was mentioned previously and was dismissed by some as an unattractive option, but I have been using the Bonnet service for 7 or 8 weeks now and have found it to be pretty good. On pay as you go you only pay 35 pence per kWh on any of the partner network chargers, which is a combination of rapid and fast chargers.

Click here to see the charging network Bonnet - Partners and if you do decide to sign up for a refill, your price per kWh will fall to as low as 25p per kWh. If you do decide to sign up for a refill and quote my referral code, which is RVXGQ we will both be credited with £15, which means your first months refill could be free.

I know this was mentioned previously and was dismissed by some as an unattractive option, but I have been using the Bonnet service for 7 or 8 weeks now and have found it to be pretty good. On pay as you go you only pay 35 pence per kWh on any of the partner network chargers, which is a combination of rapid and fast chargers.

Click here to see the charging network Bonnet - Partners and if you do decide to sign up for a refill, your price per kWh will fall to as low as 25p per kWh. If you do decide to sign up for a refill and quote my referral code, which is RVXGQ we will both be credited with £15, which means your first months refill could be free.
The only quirk I have found is that when you initiate a charging session, especially on Osprey Rapid Chargers, you need to count to 10 slowly after confirming you have connected your EV and before pressing the start charge button otherwise it might not start correctly. Its a minor bug that Bonnet are working to fix. I pay £15 a month for the basic refill and get 50kWh of charging credit each month and a price of 30p for any usage above my 50kWh bundle. Any unused charging credit is rolled forward so you don't lose out. I initially started on the £50 refill which gets you 200kWh of charging credit. I have used Osprey and Shell chargers mainly and they all seemed to work fine.

Someone mentioned earlier that it’s 10p/mile on their tariff.

Just remember that with petrol at an average of 156.9 now, at 30mpg that’s an average of about 24.08p per mile.

Using Bonnet exclusively at the moment at 25p/kWh I get 8.33p/mile (at 3.0miles/kW).

It’s worth remembering also that things WILL NOT get any better unless energy company’s can reduce their cost of generation in any way (which I personally do not think will or can ever happen, regardless of any tech they come up with - profit and greed always win out). It will continue to spiral exponentially out of control. Have you seen an exponential spiral. They look cool, but I wouldn’t want to ride one. 😶

Think about the poor buggers like me, live in a tiny village, no gas just domestic heating oil that changes price like petrol and diesel. Trying to judge the best time to order 1000ltrs is like playing the commodities market. 1000ltrs at 70p plus vat is not nice in one go. Can't order a bit at a time as 500ltrs is minimum order 😢
I don’t know squat about heating oil but I had heard of small communities getting together and negotiating with their supplier on an ‘economy of scale‘ basis - that is, buying in bulk for everyone. I do know some more rural communities have done the same thing with local WiFi installs too.
I’m a townie, so have no experience of this but thought it might help… 🙂

Make sure that you blame the government. They've had more than 12 years to invest in renewable and instead they've subsidised fossil fuel more than 100 times the renewable subsidy. We could be much less dependent on oil and gas, but oh no, now they're talking about more North Sea oil and even fracking. Goodbye planet.

I don’t know squat about heating oil but I had heard of small communities getting together and negotiating with their supplier on an ‘economy of scale‘ basis - that is, buying in bulk for everyone. I do know some more rural communities have done the same thing with local WiFi installs too.
I’m a townie, so have no experience of this but thought it might help… 🙂
Yes that's common - syndicated buying or buyers groups. The only real benefit is a very slight reduction in the overall cost due to the tanker delivering to lots of properties in the same area at the same time. So it's a transportation cost reduction not any real reduction in price per litre. Companies like boiler juice try to get the lowest price comparing with multiple suppliers and allow for cheaper prices if you order a few weeks on advance. Soon be summer and heating will be off.🤞

Got a quote for battery storage for my solar system next week so see what that brings.

Yes that's common - syndicated buying or buyers groups. The only real benefit is a very slight reduction in the overall cost due to the tanker delivering to lots of properties in the same area at the same time. So it's a transportation cost reduction not any real reduction in price per litre. Companies like boiler juice try to get the lowest price comparing with multiple suppliers and allow for cheaper prices if you order a few weeks on advance. Soon be summer and heating will be off.🤞

Got a quote for battery storage for my solar system next week so see what that brings.
Thanks for enlightening me - as I say, I have no experience of this, living in town, as it were.
Going to start looking for info on PV solar and a battery as buying both at the same time reduces the VAT to 5%. Want to explore Givenergy as a battery supplier but really looking for someone reliable that can install both without ‘charging’ the earth. Already have an EV now - with a Zappi 2 charger, which will cope with the PV and battery balancing, so I’m told.
Just gotta save the money now by turning off the gas…🤔🥶

How are you gauging what size battery to go for ?
We are a couple household, no kids, and our consumption is only about 4000 KWh a year max, so we are better placed than most even though we only have a single income coming in.

Decided a GivEnergy 9.5 KWh will do(for starters). Thankfully just had our Octopus Go(at 14p/5p KWh) extended for a further year til April 2023, so if solar falls short then cheap rate grid will top it up reasonably priced. For us this is about preparing for the future shock we will experience when our Go runs out. The good thing about the GivEnergy system is it allows for future batteries to be added, up to a total of 5. Our 3.6 KW solar is 10 years old, paid for (and some) and still producing a decent output - on a good day up to 24 KWh.

Do you need a specific charger to take advantage of this?
Yes
Screenshot_20220312_224135.jpg

Make sure that you blame the government. They've had more than 12 years to invest in renewable and instead they've subsidised fossil fuel more than 100 times the renewable subsidy. We could be much less dependent on oil and gas, but oh no, now they're talking about more North Sea oil and even fracking. Goodbye planet.
Actually there is considerable investment in renewables, there are so many projects underway the length and breadth of the country from research projects to full implementation, from wave generation, to solar, to wind power etc, it is far more complex than just a renewable source, there is balancing of the grid, increasing capability to cope with the future demand due to the surge in EV cars which will happen...... if they can ever get delivered :D ( the sun doesn't always shine and the wind does not always blow, last year was a poor year for both) energy storage will play a huge part in the future as part of this, just as many of you are talking about on a domestic level with battery storage for your home PV systems.... just on a larger scale. we are actually less reliant on coal than you might think, and there have been a few periods where we were actually at zero coal for energy creation. but there are many gas turbine generators that kick in when needed which is driving the increase in electricity cost. Hydrogen may well play an important role in the future as the most abundant element in the universe, more research to make this work as an option, particularly for cars as a power source where the overall efficiency as it stands (power in to the whole process versus power out) is not much better than ICE.
What will be interesting is to see the profits of the energy companies this time next year, yes many companies have fallen, most new to the game and ultimately didn't have the correct business model or the forward thinking required, or the business size to soak it up. but mark my words, the major players in the energy sector will report huge profits this time next year, not losses.
Before anyone asks, I do not work for the government, or an energy company. I currently work for a major battery manufacturer that supplies both lead acid and Lithium ion solutions for energy storage.

Last edited:
We are a couple household, no kids, and our consumption is only about 4000 KWh a year max, so we are better placed than most even though we only have a single income coming in.

Decided a GivEnergy 9.5 KWh will do(for starters). Thankfully just had our Octopus Go(at 14p/5p KWh) extended for a further year til April 2023, so if solar falls short then cheap rate grid will top it up reasonably priced. For us this is about preparing for the future shock we will experience when our Go runs out. The good thing about the GivEnergy system is it allows for future batteries to be added, up to a total of 5. Our 3.6 KW solar is 10 years old, paid for (and some) and still producing a decent output - on a good day up to 24 KWh.
I’m with Octopus Go Faster - how did you get your tariff extended?

I’m with Octopus Go Faster - how did you get your tariff extended?
Hi.
About 2 months before it was due to end(this April) I emailed and asked what I would be moving to and the reply was....we usually extend you for a second year at the same tariff and luckily they did. Always worth a try, they are pretty good.

Post in thread 'Price cap going up in april (53% or extra £693)' Price cap going up in april (53% or extra £693)

I currently work for a major battery manufacturer that supplies both lead acid and Lithium ion solutions for energy storage.
What metric would you use for sizing a battery to soak up excess PV power ? I have heard 1.5 times daily use averaged over the year; does that sound about right ? But what happens if you go away for a week or two in mid summer, so use a minimal amount; once the battery is full, what happens to any excess ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom