EV opposition in the media is ramping up

BUT EVs are
More environmentally beneficial
No ICE to go wrong
Cheaper to run if charging at home
Quieter
Better at accelerating

What have missed?
Agreed, but EVs are still not for everyone, and that's fair enough. We like um on here, (well mostly) but some don't and never will, so again fair enough. Would never say to someone, you've gotta get one, there great. So they did and got a lemon or hated it, I would feel a bit guilty then. Let them make there own minds up.🙂👍

I've been pondering a related question, 'Would you advise some one to switch from an ICE to an EV?`
After all:
EVs are comparatively expensive to buy and, if you can't charge at home, to run
Depreciation may be higher
' Range anxiety' can be a problem, but getting less.
Possibly more complex to operate but probably that's true of a modern ICE.

BUT EVs are
No ICE to go wrong
Quieter
Better at accelerating

What have missed?
If they can have an acceptable charging solution (home, decent nearby off-street, nearby Tesla chargepoints open to all or any Tesla chargepoint if getting a Tesla) and they can afford at least used, then yes, get an EV. If not, then wait on few years till its better where they live

Was chatting with a mate at the weekend about my EV and he asked me how much it cost to charge ... when I said it cost about £6 to charge, he said oh, it costs me more than that for just 1 gallon of diesel.

If you can afford the initial outlay, and if you can charge at home, then it's a no brainer :)

Are you assuming a time-of-day tariff for charging? (These don't always work for everyone - mainly only those who are prepared to time-shift other heavy usage like dishwasher, washing machine, tumble fryer, etc. as the daytime rate is higher than standard variable).

Even so, at the moment a 100% charge of my car at standard variable is 50.8 kWh x 23.97p which is about £12

Are you assuming a time-of-day tariff for charging? (These don't always work for everyone - mainly only those who are prepared to time-shift other heavy usage like dishwasher, washing machine, tumble fryer, etc. as the daytime rate is higher than standard variable).
Yep, overnight for me ... not sure who would have an issue with that, except shift workers.

Agreed, but EVs are still not for everyone, and that's fair enough. We like um on here, (well mostly) but some don't and never will, so again fair enough. Would never say to someone, you've gotta get one, there great. So they did and got a lemon or hated it, I would feel a bit guilty then. Let them make there own minds up.🙂👍
No, definitely not for everyone.

A woman my wife works with, her husband had a KIA EV6, now he absolutely loved the car & was gutted to switch back to a petrol ( actually a plug in hybrid now ) but he does a lot of miles weekly

He didn’t mind using a public charger, 20-30 min top up & on his way. But like we all know, we run late, if he was running late to a job, sometimes he had to wait for a charger so it was just more convenient for him to switch back to petrol

As I’ve posted I will have to rely on public charging until we move home next year but it still suits me ok. If though say for the next say 5 years I couldn’t have a home charger would I stick to an EV, probably not. I’d look into hybrid/plug in hybrid

Right now I’ve read the majority of EV owners can charge at home but I think they are underestimating the numbers of people who can’t, live in a flat, no driveway or garage etc that I believe will be the stumbling block moving forward

Of course you always will get the people … “Don’t buy an EV, it will explode in the first month of you owning it” but there’s so many people that are just not interested for whatever reason in making the switch. Like you I wouldn’t ( & have no right to ) tell them you have to own one, totally up to them. I wish people all the best whether they opt for an EV, ICE …

If you look at the replies to the tweet, that's more or less what happened.

Here's the actual article she wrote. It can be read without the paywall by using "view source".

Absolute litany of FUD.
You and Scottish words.

For sure the charging infrastructure is holding back total conversion to EVs, but that will get better over time.
I’ve said it a few times, here on the Isle of Wight I’m seeing a lot more EVs on the road & new public chargers are popping up so it’s moving in the right direction

Having said that I don’t think it’s going to get there as fast as some think or what our almighty government ( & any future ones ) will tell us but let’s see

What should give it a push is the second hand EV market. A few people I’ve talked to said they are thinking about making the switch but are not in the position to grab a new one but would look at a 2-3 year old.

Funny as today I was at my MG dealer & they had 2 MG ZS EVs, 22 & I think a 23 plate & a white MG4 SE, 22 plate

I do occasionally have the "should I get an EV" conversation. I emphasise that a change in mind-set is required, and that if they don't try to get their head round the optimum approach to charging they will end up frustrated. Particularly that if they can't charge at home they should think through how they intend to manage before making a decision.

I explain about the relationship of the WLTP range figures to real life, especially in winter, and to make sure that whatever they choose has ample range to do their usual maximum daily mileage on a single charge even in the depths of winter with the heating on.

Then I tell them about the torque, the acceleration, the handling and the rest.

Mrs. Guru for one ... she absolutely will not leave such appliances to run unattended/whilst we're sleeping.

I got round this when I had solar panels and a house battery installed last year - charge the battery (and car when necessary) on overnight tariff, then the battery runs the house until the next charge period. Now we're getting into lighter, brighter days, we are fast approaching the time when just sunlight will keep the house battery charged.

I got round this when I had solar panels and a house battery installed last year - charge the battery (and car when necessary) on overnight tariff, then the battery runs the house until the next charge period. Now we're getting into lighter, brighter days, we are fast approaching the time when just sunlight will keep the house battery charged.
Yep, same here, not long now before the "big sky candle" is enough alone to charge the house batteries without the need for an overnight charge - though even then it's only 40p to charge the batteries (4.8kWh) ... :ROFLMAO:

I've been pondering a related question, 'Would you advise some one to switch from an ICE to an EV?`
After all:
EVs are comparatively expensive to buy and, if you can't charge at home, to run
Depreciation may be higher
' Range anxiety' can be a problem, but getting less.
Possibly more complex to operate but probably that's true of a modern ICE.

BUT EVs are
No ICE to go wrong
Quieter
Better at accelerating

What have missed?
My wife would argue that they are not more complex to operate. She gets in turns on, selects a direction (forwards or backwards) and presses the pedals. That's it - What could be simpler ?

My wife would argue that they are not more complex to operate. She gets in turns on, selects a direction (forwards or backwards) and presses the pedals. That's it - What could be simpler ?
Cars in general have become more complex to operate through the much greater use of software and upgradeability.

EVs have pushed this further but really much of the perceived complexity is simply transitioning from an older car to the latest.

You could argue EVs need planning apps for charging, but that really depends on the journeys you make, whether you can charge at home, etc...

Cars in general have become more complex to operate through the much greater use of software and upgradeability.

EVs have pushed this further but really much of the perceived complexity is simply transitioning from an older car to the latest.

You could argue EVs need planning apps for charging, but that really depends on the journeys you make, whether you can charge at home, etc...
They are more complex in capability but only more complex to drive if you want them to be.

Well, I wish I didn't have to turn off so many things just to drive... that is complexity I didn't want with driver aids.
In the pre-facelift 5 I don't have to turn anything off. The only annoyance would be the LKA but that has stayed off permanently with a setting and never touched again in over 2 years. :)

PS I saw a video review recently, it could have been for a Megane or possibly the Niro/Kona that although all the driver aids are defaulted to on when you switch on, it has a button to press that restores all the settings that you had previously set before you switched off. Like a memory button.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom