EV opposition in the media is ramping up

Well I plugged the car in while I had my porridge this morning. I ordered a new passport on Tuesday and was advised it would be here today and indeed it arrived about 12:30. So I then set off to go to Tesco’s around 13:00. The car was on about 85% /210 miles by then. In my usual fashion I set out to go to a different store to my nearest one (choice of 2 miles, 7 miles or 12 miles). But it was such a beautiful day that I fancied a longer drive. So I set a course for Perth, drove a metre and reset to go to Lanark 28 miles down the A706. It was warm enough to force me to open the window and the car was sitting on 5.3 m/kWh when I got back. I think I might reward it with its second wash this year, perhaps a bit of polish, and maybe a vacuum out ? But the latter might prove too much for the grid (or me 😉)

A video where nothing goes wrong isn't going to get any viewers.

Today I went to Aberdeen and back. I knew Aberdeen, 140 miles away by the slightly slower but more economical route, was on the edge of my winter range, so I was careful. It was also potentially a pain because I would have to charge twice on the way back. I could have made a huge drama about what happened.

The car was serviced yesterday and the GOM went back to the factory settings. Once recharged it was telling me I had 199 miles of range. In your dreams. I've been seeing 145-150 miles this weather and it was a cold morning. But there it was, 199 miles. Whoopee?

I turned on the heating, suddenly it's 189 miles. Could have had a big bellyache about that, no?

I set off, constantly comparing the range on the GOM as it counted down to the remaining distance to Aberdeen on Android Auto. Entirely unsurprisingly the GOM went down a LOT faster than the distance remaining did. Shock horror, terrible car! No, it was the result of the factory reset. I knew it was lying to me with that 199 miles rubbish.

By the time I was half-way things had settled so that the GOM was telling me I had 14 miles in hand (as opposed to 49 at the start!). I more or less believed that, but in fact it eroded a bit more due to the hilly road so that at one point I was seeing only five miles in hand. I was quite close to Aberdeen by then though, and the last part was downhill, so I wasn't worried. At 12 miles on the GOM the car asked if it should go into energy-saving mode and I said yes, but I have no idea what that did as I didn't notice any reduction in performance and I never saw a turtle.

I think I was down to seven miles when I saw the MFG charging site. I had been going to go straight to the church for the memorial service I was going to and worry about the car later, but I was over an hour early so I decided to charge up.

Oh dear, it's going to take an hour and 20 minutes to fill up! I'll be late!!! Well of course not, because I'm not going to go to 100%, am I? After 40 minutes I was on 83%. What a dreadful wait! Well, no, it was lunch-time. I went to the loo and bought a snack, and by the time I'd taken that back to the car I was already on about 40%. I could have unplugged any time, but I had the time to spare so I just let it go on.

Or of course I could have tried to get a destination charger near the church, but there are only 4 plugs. The two near the church are £0.00 so what chance of getting on these on a Saturday at lunch-time? Zero. The two that are ten minutes walk away are 35p and were also both taken. I did check the app but I knew there was no point. I just went to the church and into its car park.

So I left Aberdeen on 80% charge. Not enough to get home! What a hassle! No, I just stopped at a Tesla supercharger and put in about 25% to make sure.

I was never in any doubt that I'd make Aberdeen one way or the other, but I could have made a huge drama out of what the GOM was doing. I could have gone to the AC chargers and made another drama out of them being fully occupied. I could have moaned like stink about having to charge twice. But actually the first charge was lunch, and I would have had to hang around waiting for the service to start anyway. And the second charge was just a short stop at a nice hotel where I used the facilities and could have had a coffee if I'd wanted, but I wasn't really there long enough.

Nothing went wrong, I was absolutely fine, I didn't feel I had wasted a load of time and I didn't have any range anxiety. But by golly if I'd been one of these YouTubers I could have made that out to be a hellish experience!

Just a thought. His home charger is an issue, but he has a drive. Why on earth doesn't he just plug in his granny cable every night, indeed any time the car is parked at the house? He'd get a pretty useful chunk of charge that way, and he'd be able to fill in the 80% to 100% part of the battery without waiting around on a DC charger, if he just used the granny. And it would be cheaper.

Didn't think of that, did he?

I was just thinking about The MacMaster's shenanigans as I went to the Tesla chargers. I'd never been there before but I just put them into Android Auto as my destination and AA navigated me not just into the hotel, but all through the car park to the line of chargers way at the back. No hassle at all. And this is in a car without its own satnav.

Lee Davey regularly drives into service stations muttering that surely there must be chargers here somewhere, can't see any, maybe there aren't, going round in circles in the car park. In one of these you can actually hear the voice of his satnav telling him where to go, even as he bemoans that he can't find them.

I suppose it is fair criticism that life with an EV isn't that simple and it is harder to find chargers and to need to plan routes with that in mind, etc... (although things are changing rapidly and it really doesn't take much thought to figure it out).

But what gets me is the willingness of people to dive into EVs without any knowledge or research then make videos about their experiences without any knowledge or research and instead of constantly saying "I really don't know how this works, maybe I need to learn" simply jump to lots wrong conclusions and babble as if they are experts.

I suppose this is what happens when you make it easy for anyone to become a filmmaker. Instead of a creative utopia, you get people like this guy and MacMaster and Davey.

MacMaster and Davey are the same person.

I don't really get it. I was told on 31st March last year that my car was being written off. I'd had no intention of changing cars, but I had enough sense to realise when the universe was trying to tell me something. By the time I got a test drive in an MG4 eight days later I had watched enough videos to be asking questions like, will this car (WTLP range 218 miles) actually do a round trip of 100 miles in the real world in the dead of winter when it's below freezing, with the heater on at motorway speeds? (Spoiler, yes.) Five days after that I drove off in my new car, with only a 3-pin socket between me and disaster, and never looked back.

This forum was very helpful and there were any number of useful videos on YouTube, and I deliberately went out on practice runs where I had plenty time to see what was what, once coming home on 4% battery just to get confidence. I realised at the beginning that EV driving needed a change in mindset. I was very willing to change, and the benefits have been enormous. I even realise now that the charging stops on the occasional long journey are a benefit, as they make me a safer and more relaxed driver than I used to be.

My car wouldn't suit someone who does frequent long journeys, but if you do that sort of thing, get an ER. It's not rocket science.

Just a thought. His home charger is an issue, but he has a drive. Why on earth doesn't he just plug in his granny cable every night, indeed any time the car is parked at the house? He'd get a pretty useful chunk of charge that way, and he'd be able to fill in the 80% to 100% part of the battery without waiting around on a DC charger, if he just used the granny. And it would be cheaper.

Didn't think of that, did he?
But the muppet wouldnt be able to make a video if he did that. It takes time and effort to look that stupid.

I suppose it is fair criticism that life with an EV isn't that simple and it is harder to find chargers and to need to plan routes with that in mind, etc... (although things are changing rapidly and it really doesn't take much thought to figure it out).
There is the counter argument, park up on my drive, plug in and my car fills up while im at home eating/sleeping/watching TV etc. Way more convenient than ICE. AND it only costs me 1.5p per mile.

But the muppet wouldn't be able to make a video if he did that. It takes time and effort to look that stupid.

Several people challenged him in the comments about this, and his reply was that he bought the Taycan second-hand and the seller didn't give him its granny lead with it. He did say he was going to buy one.

Several people challenged him in the comments about this, and his reply was that he bought the Taycan second-hand and the seller didn't give him its granny lead with it. He did say he was going to buy one.
To assist the ev doubters and smooth their transition I’m going to market the perfect accessory -
The Gasoline Granny

But what gets me is the willingness of people to dive into EVs without any knowledge or research then make videos about their experiences without any knowledge or research and instead of constantly saying "I really don't know how this works, maybe I need to learn" simply jump to lots wrong conclusions and babble as if they are experts.
But which gets more clicks - "EVs are awful" or "I've had one for a while with zero problems"?

That's exactly why I joined this forum, obviously more so, coz I'm interested in the X Power. But also so I wouldn't be going in to EV/X power ownership totally blind. I now know the quirks/foibles of owning an EV and particularly the X Power. And it's not put me off. If I hadn't joined this forum and just ordered and picked up an X Power, I'll admit I would have been totally Bamboozled. 🙂👍

I have a (very small) soft spot for Geoff, but I ain't watching that.

We're well past the tipping point on EV adoption. The more people know someone who's raving about how good their EV is, the more they get a lift from someone with an EV, the less all that rubbish will get traction. I'm quite looking forward to seeing their sad little faces when it becomes obvious even to them that this is the digital camera killing 35mm film.

Sat down to the grub after a memorial service on Saturday, in Aberdeen. Total strangers at the same table who had heard how far I'd come asked me about my journey. I said something about just having time to recharge the car at the MFG chargers before the service. They promptly told me where they'd recharged their Polestar, and so it went... Soon everyone at the table knew how much we loved our cars and what great driving experiences we were having.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom