EV opposition in the media is ramping up

I think the hospital administrators are in a dammed if I do ...... situation. With the amount of legal claims against the NHS they have to cover their bases, no matter what statistics or factuality's dictate. Minorities always get picked on, when EV - ICE become on parity then there will be acceptance , unless car parks become apartheid with each having 50% . When EV s take the majority share of the market then perhaps the ICE cars will become the perceived fire risk and be relegated to the outlying fringes , and sneered at by the now enlightened majority. You have to remember that Alder Hey is in Liverpool which had a big car park fire a few years ago , so they are a bit touchy around such incidents and the massive payouts involved.

It seems to have been down to one person in the Fire Department. Why this particular car park? It's having sprinklers installed or upgraded or something, but lots of car parks don't have sprinklers. Why aren't we seeing EVs excluded from most car parks? Why EVs? Why was this father told by a car park attendant that his car was liable to explode? Lots of questions, few answers.

Another thing that struck me is, there are quite a lot of EVs on the roads these days. Someone said one car in every 30. Just how many EVs is this car park attendant turning away every day, telling their owners that their cars are likely to explode?

The driver was taking his little boy to a medical appointment he had waited literally years for, so he wasn't inclined to stay and argue. I just wonder how many EVs are left to park on the grass verge, most days.

The driver was taking his little boy to a medical appointment he had waited literally years for, so he wasn't inclined to stay and argue. I just wonder how many EVs are left to park on the grass verge, most days.
On my grand day out on Thursday driving as far as Glencoe and Ballachuilish and back
img_0766-jpeg.26279
on less than a full battery I doubt if I saw many more than fifty cars for the whole drive. Yet I did notice quite a number of them bore the green stripe of acceptance proudly on their plates. And I also passed a couple of Teslas etc that didn’t.
IMG_0773.jpeg

And a final view of the Pap from the Hospital Loch on a typically sweltering Glencoe day 👌

Attachments

• IMG_0766.jpeg
    IMG_0766.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 189
.... You have to remember that Alder Hey is in Liverpool which had a big car park fire a few years ago , so they are a bit touchy around such incidents and the massive payouts involved.
New years eve 2017, caused by a 16 year old car and not an EV in sight. Perhaps they ought to turn away ICE vehicles instead.

Almost 1400 cars were destroyed on New Year's Eve when the multi-storey car park burst into flames after a 16-year-old car caught fire on the third floor. At tonight's full council meeting Mayor Joe said that the car that started the blaze had been converted to a “different fuel arrangement“.
24 Jan 2018

New years eve 2017, caused by a 16 year old car and not an EV in sight. Perhaps they ought to turn away ICE vehicles instead.

Almost 1400 cars were destroyed on New Year's Eve when the multi-storey car park burst into flames after a 16-year-old car caught fire on the third floor. At tonight's full council meeting Mayor Joe said that the car that started the blaze had been converted to a “different fuel arrangement“.
24 Jan 2018

In principle I agree , but with so many ICE cars on the road over a good many years we have become blasé about their undoubted fire risk . With the Youtube videos sensationalising the EVs capacity to be less manageable in a fire situation its understandable that whoever has to sign off these projects can get twitchy. Not knowing the design of this car park, I would think if it has sprinklers, its covered or multi storey then the Fire Officers would want quick easy access and would have done due risk assessment reports. Whether or not there is an un rational bias in that assessment ,we don't know .
Maybe the proposed sprinkler system is rated to deal with or at least slow down a ICE vehicle fire , of which they have significant knowledge and as ours is an emerging and quickly changing technology of which they don't have enough experience, and so have to edge their bets. Again conjecture. If there are other open air car parks which have enough dedicated spaces ( fire risk assessed ) for EVs with CCTV to deter ICE cars ( fines ) then that's a solution. As previously posted it won't be long before the shoe is on the other foot

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a recent Audi e-tron thing which didn't have green on the number plates a few days ago.

I wonder if some people are asking to avoid the green stripe so they don't get hassle from their petrolhead mates?

I saw a recent Audi e-tron thing which didn't have green on the number plates a few days ago.

I wonder if some people are asking to avoid the green stripe so they don't get hassle from their petrolhead mates?
I was thinking about covering the green stripe at times to avoid being raced at red lights and I only have the SE SR but being a black car with a black logo and the driver having a massive tattoo on his arm it attracts the wrong kind of attention 😅

I was thinking about covering the green stripe at times to avoid being raced at red lights and I only have the SE SR but being a black car with a black logo and the driver having a massive tattoo on his arm it attracts the wrong kind of attention 😅
Try a tattoo on your head, it deters them. :rolleyes::D

Talking about controlling EV fires, the local newspaper report about the iPace that burned to a crisp on the charger at the leisure centre gave the arrival and leaving times for the fire crew. They were only on site an hour and nine minutes (which will include getting set up, and tidying and re-reeling hoses at the end), there was only the one fire crew, and they only used a couple of hoses on the thing. Not trivial, obviously, but on the other hand not an inextinguishable conflagration that raged for hours.

Electric cars the truth

I'm fed up of comments from people ridiculing EVs. They don't know what they're talking about.

Personally, I drive two top of the range EVs, a Jaguar and a Porsche.

Their acceleration and handling is fantastic. They look brilliant and they're really cheap to run. They need hardly any maintenance and haven't depreciated since I bought them.

Literally the only criticism I could make of them is sometimes, if really push them into a corner, they can fly off the track and get stuck under the sofa....

Electric cars the truth

I'm fed up of comments from people ridiculing EVs. They don't know what they're talking about.

Personally, I drive two top of the range EVs, a Jaguar and a Porsche.

Their acceleration and handling is fantastic. They look brilliant and they're really cheap to run. They need hardly any maintenance and haven't depreciated since I bought them.

Literally the only criticism I could make of them is sometimes, if really push them into a corner, they can fly off the track and get stuck under the sofa....
You got me there, hook, line, and sinker. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom