Someone said (I think in another thread) that Shell were planning on rolling out a lot more of their electric forecourts like the one in Fulham that looks so nice. Like the Norwich installation, it has proper canopies and shelter, and a Costa Coffee or something.

I note on PlugShare that an Esso petrol station near me is supposed to be installing six 150 Kw chargers, although I haven't seen any sign of actual construction on the ground. It will be interesting to see if EV drivers are left exposed to the elements, while of course the pumps are under a nice canopy.

I'm interested in that one, because it's about 12 miles from home if I'm coming back from the north, and if I'm in any sort of trouble regarding range it would be an ideal place to stop.

Last edited:
Has anyone got any insight - links to articles maybe? - about what it takes to roll out rapid chargers, for example at an existing service station?

I notice there's new BP Pulse hub going up at the NEC,

- and it's right next to a pylon, I assume for good reason.

If you picked an arbitrary petrol station, would it have 300kW worth of supply ready to wire up to a rapid charger? 1200kW ready to wire up to 4 of them? Or does it involve carefully choosing sites with a suitable supply? Or significant work by National Grid?

If you picked an arbitrary petrol station, would it have 300kW worth of supply ready to wire up to a rapid charger? 1200kW ready to wire up to 4 of them? Or does it involve carefully choosing sites with a suitable supply? Or significant work by National Grid?
It depends. If the site is owned by MFG (Motor Fuel Group) then it's a distinct possibility.
For example, the site they own in my home town has recently received planning permission to install 12x 150kW rapids.

As for that NEC site, it is indeed where the 11kV supply to the entire NEC, Birmingham International train station & Birmingham airport touches ground.

That carpark was disused for years, and will now be split into two:-
  1. 16x double-headed 300kW rapid chargers, so 32 cars can charge while their owners buy an overpriced coffee (I predict this site will quickly become extremely popular with EV-driving cabbies on airport runs)
  2. 150x AC posts for people actually attending events at the NEC, and will therefore be parked all day.

Let's take an average petrol station with 8 pumps. Assume a 3KW motor for each (24 kW). Lighting say 3kW. Power for the shop say 50 amps (=120 kW). In total around 150kW or have I missed something?
That's not going to power an EV station.

They need to do the same as Tesla are doing at some of their charging stations. They are installing shipping containers filled with batteries that are charged during quiet periods ready to be used during busy times.

That carpark was disused for years, and will now be split into two:-
  1. 16x double-headed 300kW rapid chargers, so 32 cars can charge while their owners buy an overpriced coffee (I predict this site will quickly become extremely popular with EV-driving cabbies on airport runs)
  2. 150x AC posts for people actually attending events at the NEC, and will therefore be parked all day.
I hadn't noticed the lots-of-AC-chargers part. I think it's very positive that they've recognised that mode of use. It's the future!

They need to do the same as Tesla are doing at some of their charging stations. They are installing shipping containers filled with batteries that are charged during quiet periods ready to be used during busy times.
At some power-limited sites, BP are installing "Freewire" chargers that each have a built-in battery pack for just such an occasion.

Just had my first go on a rapid charger. It was at Skelton Lakes was supposed to be a rapid charger but only got a speed of 74kw so not as rapid as they advertised albeit it was fast enough and gave us enough time to go sit and have a coffee and get a paper along with a toilet visit.

There was only 6 IONITY chargers and we had to wait 10 minutes as they were all occupied when we arrived. They wouldn’t work with the Electroverse card and had to use the IONITY app but otherwise worked fine. As IONITY is one of the potential charging stops on our route up to Scotland later on in the year I thought we would have a go at charging at one.

Do you have an SE SR?

What was your starting state of charge?
About 28 percent and I have a Trophy which is supposed to be capable of 135kw

I didn’t need to charge as it’s not too many miles away from home but we was returning from holiday and I wanted to try a rapid charger out especially one brand that I might be needing to use on a trip up Scotland.

Last edited:
Was it a dual-head 150kW charger? Was the other charge head also in use? (Some 150kW chargers with 2 connectors - heads - share the 150kW between them both, so it's not 150kW per head but 150kW total).

Was it a dual-head 150kW charger? Was the other charge head also in use? (Some 150kW chargers with 2 connectors - heads - share the 150kW between them both, so it's not 150kW per head but 150kW total).
There was only 6 bay’s for the 6 chargers and on Zapmap it says they are 350kw rapid chargers I only ever got 74kw right from commencement at a start of 28% charge state.

Had a day to try a journey in my new MG4 so headed over to Braintree Gridserv to charge and see how fast it would be. Arriving with 30% charge I tried a 90kw charger. It failed to start twice. I tried another and it started then failed within 10 seconds. In the end I tried 5 x 90kw and 2 350kw chargers - some more than once.

I was there so long trying that other cars (Peugeot and 2 BMWs) arrived and connected quickly to chargers that had failed for me.

I spoke to one of the staff who said the Ora Funky Cat refuses to connect with to ABB chargers but she was vague in whether the MG4 had issues.

Anyone managed to charge successfully there? Is it a software issue? Significantly affects my plans for longer journeys as I've always thought Gridserve pretty reliable compared to other providers.

Also wanted to say, I visited a few times in my ZS EV and when Braintree first opened and learned that some chargers are closer to transformers and wouldn't connect. So I found that charging well.away from the building was best.

So this time I tried different banks and positions of charge post - all unsuccessful.

I guess my question is, is it just my car or is it MG 4 software?
Same with me my mg zs will not connect to charge,other cars charged before not a mg,waiting again for my car to be fixed

I had a similar problem with my ZS. It would not charge on most fast chargers - just enough successes to make me think I was doing something wrong. On the second visit to the MG garage I was told there was a recall involving charging which they installed. It now charges successfully on most chargers.
Ask your garage if there is a similar recall on the MG4.

Had a day to try a journey in my new MG4 so headed over to Braintree Gridserv to charge and see how fast it would be. Arriving with 30% charge I tried a 90kw charger. It failed to start twice. I tried another and it started then failed within 10 seconds. In the end I tried 5 x 90kw and 2 350kw chargers - some more than once.

I was there so long trying that other cars (Peugeot and 2 BMWs) arrived and connected quickly to chargers that had failed for me.

I spoke to one of the staff who said the Ora Funky Cat refuses to connect with to ABB chargers but she was vague in whether the MG4 had issues.

Anyone managed to charge successfully there? Is it a software issue? Significantly affects my plans for longer journeys as I've always thought Gridserve pretty reliable compared to other providers.

Also wanted to say, I visited a few times in my ZS EV and when Braintree first opened and learned that some chargers are closer to transformers and wouldn't connect. So I found that charging well.away from the building was best.

So this time I tried different banks and positions of charge post - all unsuccessful.

So, being ever determined I went back to Braintree and tried to connect. I hadn't done anything to the car. Not only did it connect to a 350kw charger first time - it charged at 140kw!
Screenshot_20230722-110912.png

I've now tried 10 Gridserve sites and not had one successful charge. Normally recognises it's connected to the car but then sits there for a few minutes telling me it's starting up but never does. Tried there old and new hardware and it just doesn't seem to like me so for now I avoid Gridserve sites

We just drove from the south coast to Doncaster and back. It seems that Gridserve may have had a recent update because we did not previously have any problems. After several attempts to get the charger to start at Donnigton Services we told the car to start charging and it worked almost immediately. We had the same problem at another gridserve charger at the services just off junction 15a on the M1. We only had one failed attempt before we remembered to tell the car to start charging and again it started almost immediately.

I've now tried 10 Gridserve sites and not had one successful charge. Normally recognises it's connected to the car but then sits there for a few minutes telling me it's starting up but never does. Tried there old and new hardware and it just doesn't seem to like me so for now I avoid Gridserve sites
Try telling the car to start charging, it worked for us.

We just drove from the south coast to Doncaster and back. It seems that Gridserve may have had a recent update because we did not previously have any problems. After several attempts to get the charger to start at Donnigton Services we told the car to start charging and it worked almost immediately. We had the same problem at another gridserve charger at the services just off junction 15a on the M1. We only had one failed attempt before we remembered to tell the car to start charging and again it started almost immediately.
That's a great tip - thanks. Hadnt even thought of that!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back