What do you mean, "tell the car to start charging"? How do you do that?
Either go into the app and start a charge or use the infotaiment screen to tell the car to start charging. I also found that with my old style ZS that some chargers would not work unless I tapped my contactless card before I connected the cable to my car and others worked the other way round. I work on the principle that if the charge will not start then change the sequence of what I am doing. I have on one occasion at least followed the instructions on a charger and it wouldn't work but when I reversed the order I was doing things it started working.

Sounds suspect.
I would be on to MG and my dealer pronto. I did the same trip to Gridserve Braintree when I got my ZS Trophy to try it out before we did some longer journeys it worked fine and charged so quickly we had not finished our coffee before it was up to 80%.
Next trip we took was to York and on to Whitby York npartk and ride has a bank of rapid ABB chargers as well as other speeds. These also worked fine as did the Instvolt at Macd's on the way home on the A1. Since then we have been to Cornwall and back to York all fine Shell recharge also seems to be improving its act. I wish you well and hope you get this resolved.

Sounds suspect.
I would be on to MG and my dealer pronto. I did the same trip to Gridserve Braintree when I got my ZS Trophy to try it out before we did some longer journeys it worked fine and charged so quickly we had not finished our coffee before it was up to 80%.
Next trip we took was to York and on to Whitby York npartk and ride has a bank of rapid ABB chargers as well as other speeds. These also worked fine as did the Instvolt at Macd's on the way home on the A1. Since then we have been to Cornwall and back to York all fine Shell recharge also seems to be improving its act. I wish you well and hope you get this resolved.
Hi, according to my wife (I was not travelling with her at the time), she charged on Gridserve chargers several times earlier this year, the last time was early June without any problems. Today and yesterday we had a problem trying to start the charge from the Gridserve rapid chargers at 2 separate services along the M1 and had to use the app to start the charge. Possibly it is a result of a recent Gridserve software update. May be worth noting just in case you encounter the problem next time you use Gridserve

Hi, according to my wife (I was not travelling with her at the time), she charged on Gridserve chargers several times earlier this year, the last time was early June without any problems. Today and yesterday we had a problem trying to start the charge from the Gridserve rapid chargers at 2 separate services along the M1 and had to use the app to start the charge. Possibly it is a result of a recent Gridserve software update. May be worth noting just in case you encounter the problem next time you use Gridserve
To be fair my Mark 1 ZS EV has consistently charged well on Gridserve. Instavolt, Shell and BP as well. So I was surprised that I struggled with the MG4 on so many chargers. Then a week later it connected and charged to 85% before I'd got to the front of the Costa queue. I guess we have to brace the uncertainties in life - they make it interesting!

I have charged with no problem on both Instavolt and Gridserve. I was hoping to rely on these when I drive 430 miles to the south coast next month, and these stories are beginning to alarm me!

I have charged with no problem on both Instavolt and Gridserve. I was hoping to rely on these when I drive 430 miles to the south coast next month, and these stories are beginning to alarm me!
Don't be bothered by the stories, just try and learn that it is best not to panic when it doesn't go right the first time. Just try it a different way. Always remember "only a fool continues to do something the same way more than once and expects to get a different result" I always consider that it is my error either in the order I am doing things or my interpretation of the instructions. Invariably when I change my method it usually works. Good luck.

I have plans B and C for the chargers I'm heading for, but my main concern was either that they would be too busy (particularly Killington Lake) or out of order. But I'm travelling midweek and in the middle of the day, so hopefully...

Killington Lake is Gridserve, and plan B is an Instavolt.

I've been quite sceptical about anyone actually running out of charge nowadays, given that most cars have a decent range, there are chargers all over the place, and EVs can crawl quite a long way in turtle mode. But I don't want to be stuck on some 7 Kw type 2 when I've still got 100 miles to go, or find myself scouting for friendly folk with wall boxes (or even a 13A socket!) because my car won't connect to anything!

I have plans B and C for the chargers I'm heading for, but my main concern was either that they would be too busy (particularly Killington Lake) or out of order. But I'm travelling midweek and in the middle of the day, so hopefully...

Killington Lake is Gridserve, and plan B is an Instavolt.

I've been quite sceptical about anyone actually running out of charge nowadays, given that most cars have a decent range, there are chargers all over the place, and EVs can crawl quite a long way in turtle mode. But I don't want to be stuck on some 7 Kw type 2 when I've still got 100 miles to go, or find myself scouting for friendly folk with wall boxes (or even a 13A socket!) because my car won't connect to anything!
Instavolt have never given us a problem with either our mk1 or mk2 ZS EV's so you nshould have no problem there. With the Gridserve we found we had no problem once we realised that although we had told the gridserve charger to start it was waiting for a rewsponse from the car and it would time out if it did not get the response to start. Once we worked that bit out we just used the app to tell the car to charge and it all went like clockwork. The main thing is to try and not panic when it doesn't work first time (not easy when you are low lol), it normally means you need to re-think the sequence of operation when starting the charge.

So I tried 3 different grid serve chargers, a BP charger, 3 more grid serve chargers, and a Podpoint chargers, none worked and the last one I took a screen shot of the failure:

So I started it with the infotainment system, but I have never had this issue before. I have had R33 and associated updated done since I last used a charger, it is booked into dealer so will keep you informed.

I got the impression from what a couple of people said above that it might be something that has been changed in the Gridserve (and other?) chargers, not the car.

MG5 interloper here. Tried a Tesla supercharger last night, no luck (as expected sadly) but a number of other CCS including Gridserve 350kwh worked fine. Brand new MG5 facelift picked up start of June.

Just sharing in case of interest / use and to note there doesn't appear to be a software issue for our model (not to rub it in, sorry 😐)

I tried Gridserve today for the first time which was a really good experience, first attempt to charge failed but there was a lovely man there who helped me sort it out and as it was my first time gave me a free charge from 20% to 87%. Hit a peak speed of 151kwh which is by far the highest I've seen so far. Our next long trip will be using them as much as possible.

I tried Gridserve today for the first time which was a really good experience, first attempt to charge failed but there was a lovely man there who helped me sort it out and as it was my first time gave me a free charge from 20% to 87%. Hit a peak speed of 151kwh which is by far the highest I've seen so far. Our next long trip will be using them as much as possible.
What did the lovely man advise to get it to work?

MG5 interloper here. Tried a Tesla supercharger last night, no luck (as expected sadly) but a number of other CCS including Gridserve 350kwh worked fine. Brand new MG5 facelift picked up start of June.

Just sharing in case of interest / use and to note there doesn't appear to be a software issue for our model (not to rub it in, sorry 😐)
You must have some issue as my MG4 will charge merrily on Gridserve AND Tesla, amongst others! :)

1st post after many months of absorbing info here (many thanks) . Got my blue Trophy mid June and have so far successfully used Ionity at Grantham Services and a couple of Pod Points. That's in addition to my home unit on Intelligent Octopus.

My nearest fast chargers are the Gridserve ones at Pease Pottage on the M23. I decided to make a plan such that if I ever found myself needing to make an unexpectedly long journey I could go the 7 miles to there, top up and quickly be on my way.

I have tested this plan twice now and on neither occasion have I been able to successfully charge. I've tried 3 different units. Problems included the card reader not working, or the screen telling me it was starting the charge but never getting further. The car knew it was connected but wouldn't start the charge.

I tried everything mentioned here - starting from the car, powering off the screen etc. I even had the support person reboot the unit but no luck.

Has anyone else successfully managed to use Pease Pottage Gridserve?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 545 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back