Farewell MG4 Trophy

It's stil quite a list of small stuff and it all adds up to be annoying if you have a fair few of them
That's true, they do add up but I have decided to just enjoy the little things,
It still drives like a dream though. On the SE most of the niggles have work-rounds. I don't know how annoying the Trophy stuff is. My phone has never come unpaired even when I had to get a new handset and new SIM card. Just synchronised and started working.
I had my phone unpaired multiple times on Tesla, I just took it as a sign it needs a refresh, I'm never too bothered with these, didn't even think to see it as an issue. The alarm starting for no reason was a fault at Tesla, and I had to go to them to have it sorted, but I already forgot about that inconvenience to be honest

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with me, really appreciated!

The aircon seems noisy in the Tesla also, if it's on high, but the radio helps with it.

The LKA I always kept on by habit so no bad news here.

From what I understand there's one button on the wheel, with a star symbol if i remember correctly, where you can choose what to put as a shortcut. On Tesla all is on the screen also, not much on the steering wheel either, just the one button that you can choose from a few and I choose to use it to open the glove box as it can only be opened from the on screen, so I'm good about that too.

Can the car pre heat if not plugged at all? Or only if it's still charging?

With the undertray, do you mean it can be bulged from new, or after a lot of use? Either way, it's about luck, even with the higher classes anything can happen.

The star button on the right is best set to control the temperature and fan speed. Lots of reviewers saying you have to fiddle with the central screen to do that, but that's not true, the joystick button works fine. And by the way, apart from having to subtract five from the temperature, I have nothing but praise for the HVAC. Always gets me a comfortable temperature without blasting me with hot or cold air. I think CrawfyP's had a fault.

You can also change the sound system volume and change radio station or audo track with that joystick, and it will also let you flip between dashboard screens to see things like tyre pressure.

The buttons on the left can control the ACC, speed and how close you want to be to the car in front. Also something else I haven't figured out yet, and turn on voice commands (for Android Auto in my case).

I was impressed with the ride quality of the MG4 when I first had it, as you say the TM3 is firmer but I actually prefer the handling of my new one.

I had many niggles, I am quite critical of my tech and I expect it to mostly just do what it needs to do without annoying me. The TM3 in that regard is superb, I love the interface, the software design, the charging experience, the customer care experience so far.

Poor software was a big annoyance for me with my MG4. Every single time I got in the car I had to select Adaptive Regen and turn off Lane Kill Assist. Pop out of the car for 30 seconds to post a letter and yup, I have to do it all over again.

Other annoyances:

1. Lack of OTA updates
2. Scheduled charging unusable
3. Temperature in the car never right. Need 5 degrees above what you normally set to get heat but then 26 too hot, 25 freezing cold again. In my TM3 and every other car I ever had, it just works!
4. Auto high beam unusable, unsafe. Works perfectly in my TM3 and in all other cars where I had it.
5. Adaptive cruise clunky, slows down far too much for corners, not smooth when braking
6. Regular software lockups requiring reboot despite many dealer visits and updates

I really liked the MG4 when I first had it and I made allowances for the fact it was new tech and there would be teething problems. In the end though, I got fed up of the poor software experience, frequent dealer visits and the unhelpful attitude of MG who control what the dealer can and can’t do (just one example, my car was delivered without sound insulation under bonnet, not noticed by me for several months. When reported to MG, they accused me of removing it and refused to rectify, this was after 10 visits in 10 months for new tyres, new brake discs, oil leak which took months to fix, bricking of my car with software updates, multiple issues still outstanding and no time scale communicated for when if ever they would be fixed.

There are many owners who have had better experience than me of course but ultimately I knew I needed a different product and would pay more to get it. I feel like for me it was the right decision and I’m extremely happy now.

Sincerely hope you have a great experience.
Thank you for your honest answer. I really hope so too, it's a big step back in price and I thoroughly expect some downgrades but I'm hoping not on the safety side, that would break the deal. Was yours on a lease? I only have them on lease, I find the customer service is far better. Or maybe just my luck🤷🏼‍♀️

Having never driven a electric car I had test drives of a Kona, EV6 and MG5 after some lanky dude on the stage said that the MG was a surprise, I could not square the circle of £20+k difference betwixt the models (and this would include the Teslas £30+k [hate all the touch screen stuff with no physical buttons]). Once the MG4 came out and I had a test drive it was a no brainer.

Can the car pre heat if not plugged at all? Or only if it's still charging?

Can’t see that this has been answered.
Yes the car can heat if not plugged in at all.
Yes it can heat if plugged in and still charging.
But not allowing heat if plugged in and finished charging is baffling.
Like a lot of owners, I use schedules to benefit from cheap electricity and it’s always finished charging by the time I wake up.
Having to run outside on a winter morning to unplug it, just to make the heat work, is unforgivable and peculiar to the MG.

Can’t see that this has been answered.
Yes the car can heat if not plugged in at all.
Yes it can heat if plugged in and still charging.
But not allowing heat if plugged in and finished charging is baffling.
Like a lot of owners, I use schedules to benefit from cheap electricity and it’s always finished charging by the time I wake up.
Having to run outside on a winter morning to unplug it, just to make the heat work, is unforgivable and peculiar to the MG.
I’m one of the odd few it seems that doesn’t have that particular issue. I’ve tried it a few times now as a test and it has worked each time.

Completely agree. It’s a 1st world problem but it should just work. What really annoyed me was the response from MG (Smart customer care department) to the dealer which was “this functionality is not currently available and there is no timeline to introduce it”. To me, that type of response is deliberately unhelpful and means “we really couldn’t care less, please go away” - so I did 🤷🏼‍♂️

Completely agree. It’s a 1st world problem but it should just work. What really annoyed me was the response from MG (Smart customer care department) to the dealer which was “this functionality is not currently available and there is no timeline to introduce it”. To me, that type of response is deliberately unhelpful and means “we really couldn’t care less, please go away” - so I did 🤷🏼‍♂️
I think you and @bowfer could end up part of the alleged moaners boring and repetitive clique with continued negative posts like that

MG customer care seem to say anything that comes into their heads. Several people have reported that their cars will pre-heat while plugged in but not charging, and it seems to be a problem that's been fixed by one of the updates.

(My favourite was the one where they declared that it wasn't possible to select km/hr for the speedo on the MG4.)

MG customer care seem to say anything that comes into their heads. Several people have reported that their cars will pre-heat while plugged in but not charging, and it seems to be a problem that's been fixed by one of the updates.

(My favourite was the one where they declared that it wasn't possible to select km/hr for the speedo on the MG4.)
It really is excellent material for a Fawlty Towers style sitcom.

The best MG Customer service response was "why are you contacting us, contact your dealer, we just sold them the car"

I think you and @bowfer could end up part of the alleged moaners boring and repetitive clique with continued negative posts like that

Makes me laugh how some are so precious, it’s a piece of metal for transport not your first born child.

Tesla forums I use are full of legitimate criticism and debate, we all know they have had their issues and criticism is critical to help improvement. Some take it better than others 😉

Last edited:
The best MG Customer service response was "why are you contacting us, contact your dealer, we just sold them the car"
The best and most entertaining one for me was in relation to a warped under tray and excessively noisy air con, word for word from the excellent Mr Smart:

"The noise you describe is a characteristic of this model and would have been present during your test drive. It would also be demonstrated in any side by side test offered by your retailer.
MG Motor UK Ltd. are happy that the undertray is fit for purpose and would be visible on any MG4 vehicle on the market. I have already explained that MG Motor UK Ltd. have reviewed this and are happy that there is no detrimental effect on drive and performance.
There is certainly no material defect involved."

Still makes me laugh to this day.:ROFLMAO:

The best and most entertaining one for me was in relation to a warped under tray and excessively noisy air con, word for word from the excellent Mr Smart:

"The noise you describe is a characteristic of this model and would have been present during your test drive. It would also be demonstrated in any side by side test offered by your retailer.
MG Motor UK Ltd. are happy that the undertray is fit for purpose and would be visible on any MG4 vehicle on the market. I have already explained that MG Motor UK Ltd. have reviewed this and are happy that there is no detrimental effect on drive and performance.
There is certainly no material defect involved."

Still makes me laugh to this day.:ROFLMAO:
The responses are shockers to be fair, I've said this before MG have a good car in the 4, they had an opportunity to move the brand on immensely from the budget crap reputation from the MG3.
All these responses firmly illustrate the stack em high sell them cheap budget mentality that they seem happy with. It's a shame really, as a buyer you need to keep your fingers crossed you get a car with less faults/foibles than others have had and you really need to do your homework in terms of the dealer you are using.
As has been evidenced on numerous occasions some of them are as bad as MG UK

Passed my preferred choice of colour (Brooklyn Grey) BMW I4 e40 today whilst enjoying my 5 Kw/Hr drive round town in Newark today.

Got a very quick ‘pang’ to say bollox to the finances, and go looking for a deal on a 12 month old Beamer.

Luckily I still love my MG4, but my initial statement of being happy to wait 2 years, in order to make the figures work for me, I confess, it has become more like 18 months today LOL, maybe less if the used markets hits £35k (in the right colour with all the toys I am after :) ) .

couple of issues have arisen just prior to my first Service…. Radio DAB just loses the station (nope, not a black spot) and I need to hold down the home button to reset the infotainment system, even when doing this, It still often drops out. Front camera often comes up faulty (nope, the car is clean, as are the sensors). So little things starting to get on my nerves, and not saying the BMW will be any different, but I would expect much better customer service from Beamer than MG UK.

Will mention this to the dealership when it goes in for its service / update in mid September. But already refused one particular update which would mean that the vehicle does not remember the disablement of the Lane Kill Assist. Currently I have enjoyed this being switched off from the moment I picked up the car last September. The thought of having to faff around turning that off every time I get in the car really turns me off.

However, as another member has already said, 1st world problem, but things should just work! Whilst the car is relatively inexpensive, it still cost me over £32K. Maybe I want too much :)

Passed my preferred choice of colour (Brooklyn Grey) BMW I4 e40 today whilst enjoying my 5 Kw/Hr drive round town in Newark today.

Got a very quick ‘pang’ to say bollox to the finances, and go looking for a deal on a 12 month old Beamer.

Luckily I still love my MG4, but my initial statement of being happy to wait 2 years, in order to make the figures work for me, I confess, it has become more like 18 months today LOL, maybe less if the used markets hits £35k (in the right colour with all the toys I am after :) ) .

couple of issues have arisen just prior to my first Service…. Radio DAB just loses the station (nope, not a black spot) and I need to hold down the home button to reset the infotainment system, even when doing this, It still often drops out. Front camera often comes up faulty (nope, the car is clean, as are the sensors). So little things starting to get on my nerves, and not saying the BMW will be any different, but I would expect much better customer service from Beamer than MG UK.

Will mention this to the dealership when it goes in for its service / update in mid September. But already refused one particular update which would mean that the vehicle does not remember the disablement of the Lane Kill Assist. Currently I have enjoyed this being switched off from the moment I picked up the car last September. The thought of having to faff around turning that off every time I get in the car really turns me off.

However, as another member has already said, 1st world problem, but things should just work! Whilst the car is relatively inexpensive, it still cost me over £32K. Maybe I want too much :)

Don’t know what the e40 is, but I’ve driven the M50 and it is something else…stretch to that awesome piece of engineering if you can 😜
BTW I got 7.6kw around town in my born today, I’ve no idea how and it was a double take moment, but still 👍

Don’t know what the e40 is, but I’ve driven the M50 and it is something else…stretch to that awesome piece of engineering if you can 😜
BTW I got 7.6kw around town in my born today, I’ve no idea how and it was a double take moment, but still 👍
Yeah, pretty much made my mind up on the BMW, e40 / m40 versus M50….for me, no brainier when you factor in the costs of both. Want the long range of the M50 (hence the M40 and not the M35), but not too phased about the suspension difference and shaving a second off the 0-60 time. Not for £15K.

Hoping to get a used model for around 60 % of the retail cost when new, and getting a few extras which will not transfer to the cost of buying used. Time will tell of course, knowing my luck, used EV cars will go through the roof in 18 months time LOL.

BTW, after you previous comment about the “Star Wars“ vehicle sounds by Hans Zimmer, I have being doing a little research….it seems many out there wanted to hate it, but could not, they loved it :)

EDIT: 7.6kw is very very impressive…..Most I have had out of my MG4 was 5.6 kw/hr.

Last edited:
The responses are shockers to be fair, I've said this before MG have a good car in the 4, they had an opportunity to move the brand on immensely from the budget crap reputation from the MG3.
All these responses firmly illustrate the stack em high sell them cheap budget mentality that they seem happy with. It's a shame really, as a buyer you need to keep your fingers crossed you get a car with less faults/foibles than others have had and you really need to do your homework in terms of the dealer you are using.
As has been evidenced on numerous occasions some of them are as bad as MG UK
Agree, when a customer buys a new car, they are shelling out lots of hard earned money. whether it's £30k or £60k, you'd expect a faultless vehicle that does what it is supposed to do and is in 'as new' condition. The real confidence hit comes when you find that your new car actually comes with little or no support despite, even going against the warranty which came with it. Going 'stack em high and sell and cheap' with no support in itself will eventually be their downfall if they continue that way.

Agree, when a customer buys a new car, they are shelling out lots of hard earned money. whether it's £30k or £60k, you'd expect a faultless vehicle that does what it is supposed to do and is in 'as new' condition. The real confidence hit comes when you find that your new car actually comes with little or no support despite, even going against the warranty which came with it. Going 'stack em high and sell and cheap' with no support in itself will eventually be their downfall if they continue that way.
Totally agree, £30k is still a lot of money and there shouldn't be any less expectation that everything works as it should on any brand new car £30 £40 or£60k

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back