Home charger installer - Scotland

I’ve got a white SE standard range ordered. The latest I was told was mid-December which is a couple of weeks back from original estimated date given as that would make it 10 weeks from order instead of 8.

However the dealer said they are hopeful of receiving a further allocation before that and if there’s one with my spec on it, it should be mine.

I’m eager to get it but at the same time I’ve obviously not arranged my home charging point yet plus I’ve got a smart meter installation booked in for mid-December as well so if the car comes round about then it should work out fine.
Fingers crossed it all works out for you Shengis. The allocation is a bit of a lottery at the moment, but it sounds like you’ll be first in line for your choice of model. Graham at Perth MG said that the car was more than likely coming with a type 2 cable rather than a Granny cable, which got me to thinking on installing the home charger. If the car had come with a Granny cable I was considering to just top it up daily as I don‘t do many miles. For a longer holiday trip I was thinking to get a type 2 cable and charge up at a rapid public charger.

However, after reading about the Zappi, solar panels and battery storage on this forum that got me to put my thinking cap on. Electricity prices aren’t coming down anytime soon, then why not produce my own, hence the Zappi which can easily be linked to solar and battery, but also use the grid when necessary. I’ve opted for the tethered 7kWh version after reading about the hassle in getting an untethered cable out of the boot, plugging it into the Zappi and then into the car on stormy nights. The less time I need to get the car charging in adverse weather conditions the better. 😅 Last Friday being a case in point!

@Shengis I forget to mention, depending on where you live (applies to a rural area), you might be eligible for up to a £300 Energy Savings Trust domestic charge point grant. The installer I recommend can help you with this as they are officially registered.
Energy Saving Trust Domestic Charge Point Grant Application
That is a top tip! I thought that all the grants were done but when you mentioned it last night I checked, I qualify for it it also ( meet the criteria of small village under 3000, under half hour from town over 10000)

Solar, battery & inverter and zappi due to be installed next week. Eddi PV diverter being added early next year (availability). No Harvi offered which I find a wee bit surprising.
@Rip Van I was wondering myself what the difference between the Myenergi Hub and Harvi is and this video gives a good explanation:

Another good video on the benefits of the Harvi.

Attachments

• D4E2636D-14B6-40B1-BF01-5D79FFA03515.png
    D4E2636D-14B6-40B1-BF01-5D79FFA03515.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
That is a top tip! I thought that all the grants were done but when you mentioned it last night I checked, I qualify for it it also ( meet the criteria of small village under 3000, under half hour from town over 10000)
Yeah, I was really surprised I qualified as well!

That sounds like a good system Rip Van, but I would recommend getting the Harvi as it offers wireless sensing of your energy usage: Energy Harvesting Wireless Sensor | myenergi UK

If you don’t mind my asking what sort of setup will you be getting in terms of solar wattage, battery and inverter size? I’m in the process of getting quotes for two different systems, one an east west configuration which is cheaper and a larger east, south and west system.
14 405w JA Solar panels split between 9 south facing and 5 east facing. 5.67kwp. That's as many as we can fit on our south facing roof. Pondered the east facing for some time. Now thinking about covering the west facing roof when (if) we've got the cash. 3.6kw Solis Hybrid Inverter, 5kWh PureDrive Battery (stackable).
When I looked at the Harvi, I did wonder why, at the price, they hadn't offered it. I did stress to them my budget was tight, so, seeing as how they will need to run cables anyway, a couple more would have little impact, eliminating the need for the Harvi, although the cable to the immersion will be a new run.

@Rip Van I was wondering myself what the difference between the Myenergi Hub and Harvi is and this video gives a good explanation:

Another good video on the benefits of the Harvi.

As I understand it, the MyEnergi hub isn't required with the current generation of Zappi/Eddi?

Mine came yesterday with a granny charger from MG Perth so looks like theyve sorted the shortage of cable.
Not sure if that’s good news or bad news. Might be better getting both anyway.

What spec and colour did you get? If it was an SE did it come with tinted/privacy glass?

Trying to second guess what mine will come in like!

Oh and did they contact you or did you have to chase them? And are they aware of the oil and undertray issues do you know?

Sorry, that’s a lot of questions!

Mine is a trophy in orange.
The wife spoke to MG Perth a couple of weeks ago and told them we would take a cancelled order if one became available and sure enough one arrived a week later.
Speaking to them yesterday and they know of both problems but said its not affected very many cars.

Mine is a trophy in orange.
The wife spoke to MG Perth a couple of weeks ago and told them we would take a cancelled order if one became available and sure enough one arrived a week later.
Speaking to them yesterday and they know of both problems but said its not affected very many cars.
Nice! I wonder if they’d still have called you if your wife hasn’t been in touch.

14 405w JA Solar panels split between 9 south facing and 5 east facing. 5.67kwp. That's as many as we can fit on our south facing roof. Pondered the east facing for some time. Now thinking about covering the west facing roof when (if) we've got the cash. 3.6kw Solis Hybrid Inverter, 5kWh PureDrive Battery (stackable).
When I looked at the Harvi, I did wonder why, at the price, they hadn't offered it. I did stress to them my budget was tight, so, seeing as how they will need to run cables anyway, a couple more would have little impact, eliminating the need for the Harvi, although the cable to the immersion will be a new run.
Having the three sides of the roof available would make charging your 5kWh battery a simple proposition and you may want to expand it, but it depends on your daily usage. Saying that, charging our cars will use up a lot of excess solar.

Yes, that’s a good compromise with the cables, especially if you’re having them run anyway.

That sounds like a good system Rip Van, but I would recommend getting the Harvi as it offers wireless sensing of your energy usage: Energy Harvesting Wireless Sensor | myenergi UK

If you don’t mind my asking what sort of setup will you be getting in terms of solar wattage, battery and inverter size? I’m in the process of getting quotes for two different systems, one an east west configuration which is cheaper and a larger east, south and west system.
What sort of ball park are you price-wise for this sort of solar setup please? Wonder if it’s worth looking at myself.

What sort of ball park are you price-wise for this sort of solar setup please? Wonder if it’s worth looking at myself.
It all depends on the size of the system you want fitted, in terms of numbers of solar panels, inverter, battery size, scaffolding, cabling, etc; but the contractor I’m dealing with said, “I don’t want to scare you off, but you’re looking at around £16,000 for the East/West system or a few grand more for the SolarEdge (the company Tesla teamed up with to make the Powerwall) East/South/West system.” There will be cheaper options, but you have to ask yourself, what do you want out of your system? I’m hoping to utilize every last drop of solar produced to power my home and charge the MG4. I’ll never be able to go off-grid, but for a good portion of the year I’m hoping to be self-sufficient.

@Shengis If you’re still looking for a home charger installer, this company just did mine and I can highly recommend them. They’re based in Dunfermline.
Voltix Electrical Services Ltd
Forgot the obvious question here. I know it depends on length of cabling and other factors, but do you mind telling me how much it cost to get the Zappi installed?

Forgot the obvious question here. I know it depends on length of cabling and other factors, but do you mind telling me how much it cost to get the Zappi installed?
Yes, other factors to consider would be how many walls are needed to be drilled through, whether you want trunking to cover your cabling or to have it hidden and extra fuse boxes with additional CT clamps for solar, battery storage and something like solar/battery immersion heating.

Everything all in for me (I have a fairly simple setup) was around £1,300 including VAT, with £300 of that being the installation fee, which you should be able to get back from that grant.

The price of the Zappi was £799, the same as if I’d bought it directly from the Myenergi website: Buy zappi Online Today | zappi Installer | myenergi UK

Last edited:
It all depends on the size of the system you want fitted, in terms of numbers of solar panels, inverter, battery size, scaffolding, cabling, etc; but the contractor I’m dealing with said, “I don’t want to scare you off, but you’re looking at around £16,000 for the East/West system or a few grand more for the SolarEdge (the company Tesla teamed up with to make the Powerwall) East/South/West system.” There will be cheaper options, but you have to ask yourself, what do you want out of your system? I’m hoping to utilize every last drop of solar produced to power my home and charge the MG4. I’ll never be able to go off-grid, but for a good portion of the year I’m hoping to be self-suffici
I was quoted around £16000 for a solar edge system with 10 panels. The system I'm going for is around £12500.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back