Home chargers

I have always mainly used my supplied granny charger , because at work I can plug it in a couple of times a week for the whole day for free , but I have noticed recently that the 3 pin plug after a day's charge has been getting hotter than before to the point that the metal pins are too hot to touch after unplugging. I know that other forum members have mentioned about changing the 3 pin plug , which I decided to do with a heavy duty one (still very tight to fit the wires in) charged the next day for around 7 hrs , unplugged and found the new plug was not even warm 🙂 , so I cut the original plug open and found the live wire to be crimped in place and not even crimped that tight it was very easy to pull out , so I do recommend to change the plug if other users feel the 3 pin plug is hotter than they expect after a long charge and if the granny charger is what they use most of the time 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20211112_091004.jpg
    IMG_20211112_091004.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 129
I have always mainly used my supplied granny charger , because at work I can plug it in a couple of times a week for the whole day for free , but I have noticed recently that the 3 pin plug after a day's charge has been getting hotter than before to the point that the metal pins are too hot to touch after unplugging. I know that other forum members have mentioned about changing the 3 pin plug , which I decided to do with a heavy duty one (still very tight to fit the wires in) charged the next day for around 7 hrs , unplugged and found the new plug was not even warm 🙂 , so I cut the original plug open and found the live wire to be crimped in place and not even crimped that tight it was very easy to pull out , so I do recommend to change the plug if other users feel the 3 pin plug is hotter than they expect after a long charge and if the granny charger is what they use most of the time 👍
Is there not a thermal sensor in the plug?
Treads on another forum said they have extra wires in side.

Is there not a thermal sensor in the plug?
Treads on another forum said they have extra wires in side.
Hi , not that I found I would imagine that if there is any type of thermal sensor it would be in the main body of the charger it's self.

I just wanted to add that I changed my 3 pin plug on the granny charger because it was a lot hotter after 18 months of use than when I first bought the car and at the moment it is my main source for charging the car , please only change the plug if you feel yours has similar problems and also that you are confident to do it in a safe manner and also it may void your warranty on the unit 👍

A month in with my new MG ZS EV, very pleased so far, through October I enjoyed the energie freebie outside my gym whilst waiting for 7kw home charger quotes.

Two responded, each hovering around £1k and if I read correctly included the OZEV grant. Seems to me these companies are adding it on to knock off later. Having just installed my own I've come to the conclusion they are milking the system.

Ohme charger ( through Octopus deal) £199
Cable & glands 3mtrs £25
32a switch £27
Earth rod & cable - £41
Took me a day but also replaced the garage consumer unit @£56 that was qouted as an extra @£750. ( edit - £750 also included the earth rod)

Just waiting for smart meters to be fit then I can enjoy the off peak tariff

As an aside I've just booked the car in ( squeeling whilst in reverse), I tried the 'fix' as descibed on here but no joy.
Here in Australia we're jealous of you guys with EV and charger grants. But great to see so many in the UK taking the opportunity to move to electric mobility. 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom