Home chargers

Radders

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
A month in with my new MG ZS EV, very pleased so far, through October I enjoyed the energie freebie outside my gym whilst waiting for 7kw home charger quotes.

Two responded, each hovering around £1k and if I read correctly included the OZEV grant. Seems to me these companies are adding it on to knock off later. Having just installed my own I've come to the conclusion they are milking the system.

Ohme charger ( through Octopus deal) £199
Cable & glands 3mtrs £25
32a switch £27
Earth rod & cable - £41
Took me a day but also replaced the garage consumer unit @£56 that was qouted as an extra @£750. ( edit - £750 also included the earth rod)

Just waiting for smart meters to be fit then I can enjoy the off peak tariff

As an aside I've just booked the car in ( squeeling whilst in reverse), I tried the 'fix' as descibed on here but no joy.

Seems to me these companies are adding it on to knock off later. Having just installed my own I've come to the conclusion they are milking the system.
Surely not, that would be borderline dishonest! I can't imagine any contractor doing that....... No, wait.....

To be honest, even if it didn't include the grant that is very expensive. I have mine done 2 years ago, and it wasn't an easy install, it cost me £89 after the grant.

I've just had a Project EV charger fitted for £150. Was a bit concerned as this one has had a history of hacking attacks, but do hope that's sorted now. I think it was on a special offer from Project Solar who fitted my pvs last month. It all seems to work OK, with options to charge directly from the solar pvs or on the Octopus Go cheap rate at 12.30 - 4.30am
IMG_1858.jpg

A month in with my new MG ZS EV, very pleased so far, through October I enjoyed the energie freebie outside my gym whilst waiting for 7kw home charger quotes.

Two responded, each hovering around £1k and if I read correctly included the OZEV grant. Seems to me these companies are adding it on to knock off later. Having just installed my own I've come to the conclusion they are milking the system.

Ohme charger ( through Octopus deal) £199
Cable & glands 3mtrs £25
32a switch £27
Earth rod & cable - £41
Took me a day but also replaced the garage consumer unit @£56 that was qouted as an extra @£750. ( edit - £750 also included the earth rod)

Just waiting for smart meters to be fit then I can enjoy the off peak tariff

As an aside I've just booked the car in ( squeeling whilst in reverse), I tried the 'fix' as descibed on here but no joy.
Fair play @Radders & everyone else who has fitted there own. I wish I had the skill set to do it £350 all in is really good I was getting quotes of £1000 which is a rip off and I only really need to charge once a week so I’ve stuck with my granny a good extension lead & occasionally freebie at Tesco if it’s working and nobody is just parked there but not charging which is really annoying 🤬🤬🤬

I have a retired electrician friend, who says he can fit me one, but he can’t sign it off, so if I come to sell my house the solicitors I’m sure would want to see the sign off papers😔
Moved house a few years ago and solicitors wanted a full electrical inspection report. Thankfully I had a relatively recent one. They don't care about specific changes.... Just the full inspection report.

When you sell now you have to get a recent EPC so that might cover it, and you have to get one anyway.

Fair play @Radders & everyone else who has fitted there own. I wish I had the skill set to do it £350 all in is really good I was getting quotes of £1000 which is a rip off and I only really need to charge once a week so I’ve stuck with my granny a good extension lead & occasionally freebie at Tesco if it’s working and nobody is just parked there but not charging which is really annoying 🤬🤬🤬
Nothing wrong with just using the granny lead if it suits your needs which is does, you're right to not bother with the expense of getting a fast charger fitted.

From what I've read on some FB groups, some new EV buyers think it is necessary to have a home fast charger & just get one installed without thinking about it.
Even allowing for having to charge at peak rates sometimes if using the granny charger, the cost of an installed fast charger may never be gained back with some peoples usage.

Similarly I've also read some people talking about how it's a must to buy a type 2 - type 2 cable so that they can charge for free sometimes; It costs me 35p to charge for an hour at home (5p x 7kWh), I'd have to do several hundred hours at free chargers to ever recoup the cost of buying a cable.

The other cheaper option that is "legal" etc, is to pay to just get a 32amp commando socket fitted outside (on it's own circuit), then buy & use the Ohme with commando plug for £199 on Octopus energy offer.

I totally agreed @JodyS21 about the type 2 cable until I found that the holiday lodges site we go to regularly has a free charger installed on site,
which I found by pure luck using zap map for nearby chargers anyway fuel costs were normally £60ish cost the grand total of £5 ( cable £150) but I will recoup this after a few visits, so I guess the moral of this story is never say never 👍🏻😁😁

personally, I would always recommend a type 2 to type 2 cable. i once miscalculated range due to colder weather and the only charger I was sure i would get to was a 7kw podpoint. stayed for just 20 mins so didn't get an awful lot of juice, but it was worth it to avoid the flat-bed of shame!

In my case (and this will be more and more commonplace), I can also charge for free at work. Up until lockdown, almost all my charging was done from work for free with my type 2 cable. They can be obtained for as little as £150 now.

personally, I would always recommend a type 2 to type 2 cable. i once miscalculated range due to colder weather and the only charger I was sure i would get to was a 7kw podpoint. stayed for just 20 mins so didn't get an awful lot of juice, but it was worth it to avoid the flat-bed of shame!

In my case (and this will be more and more commonplace), I can also charge for free at work. Up until lockdown, almost all my charging was done from work for free with my type 2 cable. They can be obtained for as little as £150 now.
I paid less than £100, as there was an offer on but same place now is still only £114.

The other cheaper option that is "legal" etc, is to pay to just get a 32amp commando socket fitted outside (on it's own circuit), then buy & use the Ohme with commando plug for £199 on Octopus energy offer.
Pretty much what I did but simply removed the commando plug and installed a new purpose switch, dont forget they insist on the earth rod though which is a piece of cake ( other than the test)

Nothing wrong with just using the granny lead if it suits your needs which is does, you're right to not bother with the expense of getting a fast charger fitted.

From what I've read on some FB groups, some new EV buyers think it is necessary to have a home fast charger & just get one installed without thinking about it.
Even allowing for having to charge at peak rates sometimes if using the granny charger, the cost of an installed fast charger may never be gained back with some peoples usage.

Similarly I've also read some people talking about how it's a must to buy a type 2 - type 2 cable so that they can charge for free sometimes; It costs me 35p to charge for an hour at home (5p x 7kWh), I'd have to do several hundred hours at free chargers to ever recoup the cost of buying a cable.
Problem with the granny lead is if you want to enjoy off peak tariffs you need to 'suck' out as much kwh between 0.30 and 04.30 as you possibly can. In the brief time I've installed my 7kw charger I reckon I'm drawing 3 times more. This enable me to fully charge my car 4hrs@5p/kw rather than the equivilant 12hrs @23p/kw. Top of my head would guess the install has paid for itself much less than a year. ( assuming I have 30% left when charging commences)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom