How to get 11kw charging?

I've had ~10.5kWh out of a Tesla destination charger.
Here (Ireland) 3 phase at home is practically non-existent.
And the cable that came with the car is single phase.

edit: 1st edition Exclusive/Trophy

Some of Europe gets a heat pump and we don't in the UK, which is another example of something I'd actually have been willing to pay a bit extra for on intial purchase, so location spec differences on not tied to power only either.

It'd have bumped our efficiency nicely for longer runs in cold weather, which is fundamentally where EVs suffer the most anyway, so an option to get some of that back would have been appreciated. The HVAC in this car feels pretty inefficient at the best of times, so seems a bit of a silly omission to not even give us the option, especially for the Trophy/XPower models.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I find it a bit of a shame that 11kW is not supported in cars designed for the UK market, even worse that the cars are supplied with a 1-ph Cable when ordering from the dealer.

In my opinion this option is a necessity if we want to get everyone into EV’s as it allows for a more varied charging network.

I think charging networks should be able to provide the following:
- Motorways and Service stations: you want to spend as little time as possible here so => 100kW+ DC

- Fastfood or “Roadchef“ places: 50 -75 kW DC as you’re likely to spend about 40min there.

- Cinemas, Supermarkets: 11kW AC, most people spent a few hours there so this would be enough to get at least 50% back into the battery.

- Home and work: 7kW as you’re likely to spent 8hrs or more there.

- Amusement parks and Daytrip attractions: 3,5 - 7 kW. when spending a whole day at a location charging speed doesn’t really matter so a slower charge would be fine as you’d probably not arrive with a fully flat battery anyway.

I think with this mix and car capabilities it suddenly looks a lot more feasible for a lot more people to run an EV as they wouldn’t have to rely on being anywhere for 8hrs at a time.

Our MG5 does charge at 11kW.

I wonder if it would be possible (albeit in a warranty breaking way) to replace the 7kW socket with an 11kW one without needing to change any of the electronics between the socket and the battery?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if it would be possible (albeit in a warranty breaking way) to replace the 7kw socket with an 11kw one without needing to change any of the electronics between the socket and the battery?
Doubt it.
You'd probably have to replace the inverter OBC with an 11kW-capable one as well.

EDIT - see below.

Last edited:
You'd probably have to replace the inverter with an 11kW-capable one as well.
Actually, it's the On-Board Charger (OBC) that would have to be replaced. That's the AC to DC converter that does the real charging.

Technically, the AC-DC converter is a "rectifier", the opposite of an "inverter". An inverter converts DC to AC. The motor controller is an example of an inverter; in fact, a 3-phase inverter.

I thought these EVs had DC motors not AC motors?
I believe it is a 3-phase permanent magnet synchronous motor - such motors use AC to create a rotating magnetic field which then locks with the rotor poles containing the permanent magnets (the synchronous bit), usually with a variable frequency to get the motor started.

I thought these EVs had DC motors not AC motors?
The only modern EV that I know of with DC motors is the Tandem. They are unusual in so many ways, and as far as I know are not available for sale yet.

Most EV conversions are AC now as well, I believe. It's nearly impossible to get regen from the most popular kind if DC motor.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back