I think something is happening. I was sent a special order page and had to pay 3p to get it to go through. I don't really understand how it works, but hopefully that will allow the three replacement pieces to be sent.
I don't either. I don't want to worry you but sometimes scammers will get you to pay a small amount so the bank's automatic security systems won't pick up on it. They then have your bank details.....
Just keep an eye on the bank/credit card account for any unusual activity for a bit.

It was all done through AliExpress, who already had my credit card details. I was sent a link to a special order page. The first time I tried it didn't go through, possibly because my credit card thought 3p was ridiculous. When I went back, the page was saying the item was no longer available. Then I had an email from AliExpress saying you haven't completed your purchase and try again. The second time I gave it my debit card and it worked.

I will keep an eye out, but all the pages were bona fide AliExpress and it would be a hell of an elaborate scam given that the seller seems to be on the level and this has all been triggered by a mistake in the order.

Checked my account this morning, all is well, and there is a pending transaction of 3p to Aliexpress, London, sitting in the statement. Seems legit.

Thanks for your concern, anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Well, the package with the replacement pieces has arrived. Now to check they're the right way round, and tackle the fitting.

no need to worry , i had to pay mine the 2nd time when the first was lost i paid for express shipping so package was €260 then after he sent new pachage and first one expired he gave me €180 refund , so they are not a scam

I only had to pay them 3p to get the replacement pieces, which have now arrived. (It was $1 to get the transaction through, which I think came to 88p, and then there was an 85p discount available!)

The pieces seem right, now, so I need to go out and make a start on fitting them. I don't know how to remove the back seat, so I'll need to look back in the thread.

I only had to pay them 3p to get the replacement pieces, which have now arrived. (It was $1 to get the transaction through, which I think came to 88p, and then there was an 85p discount available!)

The pieces seem right, now, so I need to go out and make a start on fitting them. I don't know how to remove the back seat, so I'll need to look back in the thread.
in two it took roughly 2 hour to fit everything up , good luck

I spent a lot longer than that on the first stage! Although that did include a lot of "how does this work then?" and then having to swap the two front seat cushion pieces because I guessed wrong...

Apologies for the slow response-

To install the rear, you need to unclip the rear seat backs - attached is a photo where you need to pull up, on either side of the hinge
View attachment 18465

View attachment 18464

at the charge point side, simply lower the rear seat back, and pull up, and the seat unclips (attached is the hinge point) - looking down from above. - hope this helps?

OK, here's the problem. I'm trying to do what @Tig170 instructs, but the seat back simply doesn't move. I can't see what's supposed to happen. I have my hand exactly where his is in the photo and I'm pulling up, and there's no give at all.

Any further hints and tips about the back seat gratefully received. I can see that getting the seat backs off is the key to this, but I'm damned if I know how.

I may be about to call in air support (Malcolm from no 4, who is currently rebuilding a Land Rover, but I don't know if he's away - he's just finished school and is heading for uni next term, so there's a good chance he's off somewhere).

OK, I am totally stuck. The seat back doesn't want to move no matter how hard or in which direction I lift it.

Anyone who has managed to fit these covers, please advise!

Just bumping this to see if anyone has any more hints on how to unclip the back seat backs. I've even printed out the photos @Tig170 posted and I can't see any way to move the damn thing. It doesn't feel like lack of strength, it feels like an immovable object.

The car is booked in with the dealer to look at the undertray on Monday so I can maybe ask there. If they know themselves...

Just bumping this to see if anyone has any more hints on how to unclip the back seat backs. I've even printed out the photos @Tig170 posted and I can't see any way to move the damn thing. It doesn't feel like lack of strength, it feels like an immovable object.

The car is booked in with the dealer to look at the undertray on Monday so I can maybe ask there. If they know themselves...
Remove the seat base, put the backs down forwards and they will slide out from the door sides.

Thank you, it does look as if it's the same. Now I've seen how it comes up it will give me a better idea which direction to pull in.

(May not do it this afternoon, as I just picked up an email from STAGE+ saying they're streaming the new Bayreuth Parsifal at 4.45 and that's exactly why I pay my sub for that service.)

ETA: Many thanks. I couldn't resist going out to try it, and it worked. I needed to see how it came apart so I was pulling in the right direction. No time to fit the covers just now, but it looks like there might be a decent chance of getting them on before the car goes into the dealership on Monday.

The next question, obviously, is going to be how people got the seat part on the "squab". There are four webbing straps to go underneath. How the hell? Do you have to take that part out too? If so, how?

Last edited:
You just yank it up? OK, let's hope the MG4 is the same. It'll be Friday now, as I'm out tomorrow.

Thanks so much, that's exactly what I needed.
Let us know how you get on as I have purchased some linen effect seat pads and I have managed to fit the front ones okay and the rear seat top pads okay but the bottom pads has 2 elastic straps on and I couldn’t figure out how to fit these properly underneath as I didn’t think the seat bottom came out on the MG4

This is in Dutch, but you can clearly see how to remove the backseat.

THAT'S WHAT I NEEDED ABOUT SIX WEEKS AGO! (Posted eight days ago. Well, better late then never and the man is a public benefactor.)

Thank you so much.

I can see the back seats are relatively easy once you have the seats removed. I'm glad the squab part comes right out because that obviously makes it very easy indeed. I see he didn't actually remove the backs completely to get the covers on, but I've got mine out now and I even did the right-hand side (which can be completely removed) in the living-room while watching the opera (which wasn't very good anyway). I'm also glad to know how to do that because it could be very useful if I ever want to camp in the car.

He seemed to find the front seats easier than I did, but he wasn't doing anything different, it was just muscle power. He also showed a couple of extra little neat details I hadn't thought of, so I can add these in.

I like these covers he has in the blue car, I didn't know you could get them like that, I only saw the orange detailing. Maybe in a few years, if I fancy a change. I like the light effect of the beige too.

Another update. I have managed to get the backs of the rear seats out and the covers fitted. Thanks to the Dutch video I realised it was possible to tuck the vinyl under the plastic fittings for the head-rest mounts and get a much improved look (also access to the wee button that lets you change the height). I also saw that he had tried the same trick with the mounts for the levers that let you fold the back seats, but the holes cut in the vinyl for these fittings have fabric piping stitched round them and this got in the way and wasn't so neat. He also said it was hard work.

So I got out the scissors. I snipped the stitching and removed the fabric piping. Then I realised I had to enlarge the holes a bit, and in fact cutting round the line of the stitching holes was about right for the levers at either side. The centre seat belt fitting needed a bit more cut out, but it worked very well. The end of the zip tucked neatly under the plastic fitting, whereas before it had been sticking up rather awkwardly. This photo is of the top of the near-side (larger) rear seat back piece, lying in its back in the load bed, before I re-fitted it.

1690571848744.png

Admire. And then do likewise. (I can see it's also possible to do the two holes on the back that allow access to the child seat anchor point, but I didn't bother because they aren't seen. I might do it later though, as it could easily be done without taking the seats out again.)

I put the seat backs back in position because I don't think they need to be out for the seat itself to come out. The only minor snag is that with the extra material there, the seats don't fold as easily as they used to. I now find it best to unclip both seat backs and line them up, before shoving them back into their clips as a unit, to get the covers to lie neatly.

I have not yet succeeded in getting the seat itself out, and neither did my neighbour, even after watching the videos above. The car is however due in the dealer's on Monday and I'll ask them if they can remove it for me. (If it's my lucky day they might even fit the cover and replace it, but even if they don't, I should be able to manage if they get the seat unclipped, with my neighbour's help.)

Last edited:
Another update. I have managed to get the backs of the rear seats out and the covers fitted. Thanks to the Dutch video I realised it was possible to tuck the vinyl under the plastic fittings for the head-rest mounts and get a much improved look (also access to the wee button that lets you change the height). I also saw that he had tried the same trick with the mounts for the levers that let you fold the back seats, but the holes cut in the vinyl for these fittings have fabric piping stitched round them and this got in the way and wasn't so neat. He also said it was hard work.

So I got out the scissors. I snipped the stitching and removed the fabric piping. Then I realised I had to enlarge the holes a bit, and in fact cutting round the line of the stitching holes was about right for the levers at either side. The centre seat belt fitting needed a bit more cut out, but it worked very well. The end of the zip tucked neatly under the plastic fitting, whereas before it had been sticking up rather awkwardly. This photo is of the top of the near-side (larger) rear seat back piece, lying in its back in the load bed, before I re-fitted it.

View attachment 19267

Admire. And then do likewise. (I can see it's also possible to do the two holes on the back that allow access to the child seat anchor point, but I didn't bother because they aren't seen. I might do it later though, as it could easily be done without taking the seats out again.)

I put the seat backs back in position because I don't think they need to be out for the seat itself to come out. The only minor snag is that with the extra material there, the seats don't fold as easily as they used to. I now find it best to unclip both seat backs and line them up, before shoving them back into their clips as a unit, to get the covers to lie neatly.

I have not yet succeeded in getting the seat itself out, and neither did my neighbour, even after watching the videos above. The car is however due in the dealer's on Monday and I'll ask them if they can remove it for me. (If it's my lucky day they might even fit the cover and replace it, but even if they don't, I should be able to manage if they get the seat unclipped, with my neighbour's help.)
for the bottom you need to pull it up hard and it will unclip itself ,first from one side then from the other

I know, but I couldn't do it, and the neighbour I asked to help was a bit chicken about pulling hard in case he broke something - even after I showed him the videos. Going to collect the car from the dealer now, software update to BMS and let's hope they've improved the undertray to a significant extent. I asked if they would pull the seat off its clips, and me and my neighbour can take it from there.

The dealer came good, and when I picked up the car the rear seat was unlatched. It was a straightforward fit after that. The seat is lighter than I feared, and it wasn't necessary to unclip the wires and take it out of the car. It was quite easy to fit the cover over the seat while it was loose in the back. Got the seat-belt buckles back up through the holes in the seat without too much trouble too.

My only remaining problem is that I can't get the seat to latch down again. I have sat on it and bounced, to no effect. I probably need more professional help for that part!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back