Pretty much like the picture.

I'm on my coffee break, this is hard work. Tiny hands are a help but I could do with bigger muscles. I've done the front passenger seat and it's looking good. I may not have got the fitting quite complete because there are a couple of elastic straps I'm not sure what the function is, and the bag that looked like a length of chain is actually ten metal hook-like things and I don't have a clue what they're supposed to do or where they're supposed to go, but one thing at a time.

Jeez that was hard work. I've managed to do the front seats, and the rest can wait till tomorrow. I was having trouble getting a good photo because the sun was so strong, but this gives a decent idea.

1687372336332.png

1687372392401.png

I still have no idea what the ten metal hooks are for, or the elastic loops at the bottom of the backs of the two front seats. I may yet discover this. It might all benefit from further tweaking and nipping and tucking, but in fact the fit is very good.

I might get better lighting conditions to take more photos when I've finished the job.

I think it's a bit of a pity the two zips are black, it would have been nicer if they'd been beige to match the covers. I think the photo on the web site shows beige zips. But it's not a big issue.

This is a picture I took at half-time when I'd only done the passenger seat - the light wasn't so strong so it has come out better.

1687372513186.png

ETA: This was originally three separate posts made at different times as I worked on the job, but they were somehow merged into one. I spent about ten minutes unmerging them, and it all happened again! Hope it makes sense.

Last edited:
I still have no idea what the ten metal hooks are for, or the elastic loops at the bottom of the backs of the two front seats. I may yet discover this.
I think you'll find the hooks attach to the plastic loops and then to the seat frame to keep the cover in place.

Last edited:
Um. I wish there were some instructions, but I'll work it out. First objective is to get the covers on. Then I can figure out which places seem to need the hooks to hold the fabric tight. I think.

Thanks, but no, it's completely different.

See here, @nexia201 bought the red ones and didn't have a problem fitting them.

He said it took about two and a half hours to do and didn't say anything about removing the back seat.

Also @Tig170 got the ones that look like the fancier seats MG themselves supply and he didn't say anything about undue problems with fitting.

I am baffled as to how the seat piece for the back seat is supposed to fix on without actually removing the seat. There are webbing straps that are obviously meant to go right under the seat and fasten to buckles on the back of the piece. This is how the front seats parts fit, but of course it's possible to pass straps under the front seats. I don't see how to do this with the back seat piece.

Sigh. Maybe time to rope in the neighbour's son who is rebuilding a Land Rover from scratch. I wonder if he'll take £20 an hour?

When you say squab, do you mean the bit you sit on? It does look as if that might be necessary here. But on the other hand, Malcolm next-door-but-one might be able to do it. It's surely easier than rebuilding an entire Land Rover.

Now I definitely have a problem. The back seat covers (for the backs of the seats) come in two pieces, obviously, because the seat is split. However the covers they sent me are made for a car with the split to the left, and my car has the split to the right.

I have messaged the seller to see what they want to do about it. My preference is that they send me replacements for these two pieces, and if they like I'll send the wrong ones back. However if they won't do this I'll send the entire thing back. Hopefully they will see sense.

I'm going to try to see if they'll entertain a complaint about the black zips as well, although that problem affects the front seats (there are black zips on the back ones as well but they're hidden).

I realise now that the single seat part for the back seat is also wrong. The gaps for the seat belt buckles are different sizes because of course there are two buckles on one side. Of course, these gaps are also the wrong way round. So the entire back seat assembly will have to be replaced. (The headrests are OK though!)

I now realise that I have the seat parts of the two front seats the wrong way round. I thought I was right, but a closer look at the photos of the finished thing shows me I was wrong. Sigh, I'll have to get them off and on again. But that's doable.

ETA: Sorry if this post doesn't make sense. It was originally several posts made sequentially as I discovered more snags, but somehow they were merged into one, and in the wrong order at that. I have tried to get them in the right order but I'm still not sure it makes sense.

Last edited:
Now I definitely have a problem. The back seat covers (for the backs of the seats) come in two pieces, obviously, because the seat is split. However the covers they sent me are made for a car with the split to the left, and my car has the split to the right.

I have messaged the seller to see what they want to do about it. My preference is that they send me replacements for these two pieces, and if they like I'll send the wrong ones back. However if they won't do this I'll send the entire thing back. Hopefully they will see sense.

I'm going to try to see if they'll entertain a complaint about the black zips as well, although that problem affects the front seats (there are black zips on the back ones as well but they're hidden).

I now realise that I have the seat parts of the two front seats the wrong way round. I thought I was right, but a closer look at the photos of the finished thing shows me I was wrong. Sigh, I'll have to get them off and on again. But that's doable.

I am baffled as to how the seat piece for the back seat is supposed to fix on without actually removing the seat. There are webbing straps that are obviously meant to go right under the seat and fasten to buckles on the back of the piece. This is how the front seats parts fit, but of course it's possible to pass straps under the front seats. I don't see how to do this with the back seat piece.

Sigh. Maybe time to rope in the neighbour's son who is rebuilding a Land Rover from scratch. I wonder if he'll take £20 an hour?
Am following your experience with interest. I fitted genuine Nissan seat covers to my Juke years ago. The back seat was a pain as I had to remove the seat squab to secure the cover. Replacing the squab took hours as the seat belt stalks were too short to push back through the holes in the seat. I never satisfactorily sorted it and the seat belt catches disappeared into the seat.

For this reason I am reluctant to buy covers if it means removing the back seat squab.

I realise now that the single seat part for the back seat is also wrong. The gaps for the seat belt buckles are different sizes because of course there are two buckles on one side. Of course, these gaps are also the wrong way round. So the entire back seat assembly will have to be replaced. (The headrests are OK though!)

When you say squab, do you mean the bit you sit on? It does look as if that might be necessary here. But on the other hand, Malcolm next-door-but-one might be able to do it. It's surely easier than rebuilding an entire Land Rover.
Yes, the squab is the bit you sit on

Jeez that was hard work. I've managed to do the front seats, and the rest can wait till tomorrow. I was having trouble getting a good photo because the sun was so strong, but this gives a decent idea.

View attachment 18433

View attachment 18434

I still have no idea what the ten metal hooks are for, or the elastic loops at the bottom of the backs of the two front seats. I may yet discover this. It might all benefit from further tweaking and nipping and tucking, but in fact the fit is very good.

I might get better lighting conditions to take more photos when I've finished the job.
At the hoops and hooks for securing the cover under the seat?

At the hoops and hooks for securing the cover under the seat?

Yes, I think they are. Awkward to get to, but I think I see how it works.

I'm not going to bother with that part just now though. I have managed to switch the front seat pieces, which I had the wrong way round. Looke a lot better now, but I can see where hooking up the elastic loop would improve matters. At least I have a car with two front seats that are useable!

I'll just have to wait and see what the seller says. I may have to take the lot back off and send it all back for a swap, in which case I just wasted another couple of hours switching the seat pads, but I wanted to achieve something!

I'm hoping the two people in the thread who already fitted theirs might come in with some help about how they did the rear seat, and ineed how they managed the hooks and loops part.

See here, @nexia201 bought the red ones and didn't have a problem fitting them.

He said it took about two and a half hours to do and didn't say anything about removing the back seat.

Also @Tig170 got the ones that look like the fancier seats MG themselves supply and he didn't say anything about undue problems with fitting.

They really look the part, but do they come in any other colour but the orange stripe?

Yes, I think they are. Awkward to get to, but I think I see how it works.

I'm not going to bother with that part just now though. I have managed to switch the front seat pieces, which I had the wrong way round. Looke a lot better now, but I can see where hooking up the elastic loop would improve matters. At least I have a car with two front seats that are useable!

I'll just have to wait and see what the seller says. I may have to take the lot back off and send it all back for a swap, in which case I just wasted another couple of hours switching the seat pads, but I wanted to achieve something!

I'm hoping the two people in the thread who already fitted theirs might come in with some help about how they did the rear seat, and ineed how they managed the hooks and loops part.
If you bought from AliExpress it could cost you more than the value of the goods to ship back to China. Just be aware.

They really look the part, but do they come in any other colour but the orange stripe?

Yes. The stripe version is only with orange, but they have black, red, burgundy, beige, and one that is black with a red insert and I think other combinations.

If you bought from AliExpress it could cost you more than the value of the goods to ship back to China. Just be aware.

Well, we'll see what happens. This is entirely on them, because I sent pictures of the car seats as requested. I'm certainly not paying shipping fees, when the item came with free shipping in the first place.

What I suspect/hope will happen is that I will accept the front seat covers with the mismatching zip (if I felt that strongly about it I could replace the zips anyway), and the seller will offer to send replacements for the three back-seat pieces and I will chuck the useless mirror-image pieces in the bin.

Then all I have to do is figure out how to fit that "squab" cover.

What I suspect/hope will happen is that I will accept the front seat covers with the mismatching zip (if I felt that strongly about it I could replace the zips anyway), and the seller will offer to send replacements for the three back-seat pieces and I will chuck the useless mirror-image pieces in the bin.

Then all I have to do is figure out how to fit that "squab" cover.
I have the same set as you and have been watching the thread with interest before I started fitting.

Your post about the back seat got me panicking but seems mine are the correct set. I've fitted the rear backs and presume the base will pull out as easily as it did on my MG5 so that's next on the list, then the fronts.

If you figure out how to do the back seat, let me know. I stilll hope for magical isomerism to occur. (I can only assume that the left-hand-drive cars have the back seat split the other way and someone made my set forgetting the car was right-hand-drive.) What colour is your set?

Get the front seat pads right. The wee toggles to tuck under the cushion go on the outside, and the loose loop of elastic on the inside. I don't yet quite know what to do with the loop of elastic. Or indeed the loops of elastic on the bottom of the seat backs.

The headrests and bolster are quite easy. The reason it took me so long is that there's only one of me and although small hands are an advantage, it takes strength I don't really have to shove these bits of fabric between the seat and the back. And I still have that wrenched shoulder.

I don't know what's going on with this thread. One place where I deliberately wrote three posts they all appeared as one. So I took some trouble to re-post as three again, and they've again congealed into one.

Then later. again two posts have amalgamated into one, but this time in the wrong order. It's about as confusing as these damn seat covers.

Apologies for the slow response-

To install the rear, you need to unclip the rear seat backs - attached is a photo where you need to pull up, on either side of the hinge
IMG_4941.jpeg

IMG_4942.jpeg

at the charge point side, simply lower the rear seat back, and pull up, and the seat unclips (attached is the hinge point) - looking down from above. - hope this helps?

Oh yes, thank you! I won't need that information for another few weeks though!

I had a message this morning from the seller saying "Can I resend it to you? terribly sorry." So I said yes. I said not to worry about the black zips, I can replace them myself. (In fact I think the photo on the web page does have a black zip showing, but on the door side of the seat. I don't know why they wouldn't match the zips to the covers, but it's not a big deal.)

I suggested that it would cost more than the back seat covers were worth to send them back to him, and perhaps the best thing would be if he sent the correct isomer and I disposed of the mirror-image ones. Hopefully this will happen.

Would you post a picture of your seats once you have the covers on? Also tell me what you did with the hooks and the loops on the front seat covers. I feel I'm missing a trick there, and that the bottom edges of the backs plus the "handbrake" sides of the seat pads should be pulled under the seat using the elastic loops and the hooks, but I'm not quite sure how to tackle it.

By the way, I hope everyone is clear by now that despite the web page saying that the seat covers are "leather", they most certainly are not. They're a synthetic leather-look material. This is exactly what I was expecting at that price so I am not disappointed.

The material is good quality and seems durable. I still think they're a bargain.

I think something is happening. I was sent a special order page and had to pay 3p to get it to go through. I don't really understand how it works, but hopefully that will allow the three replacement pieces to be sent.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back