Any ideas why the car tells me I’m bound, but the app says not? (It is the latest version)
Have you ever been bound in the app?

If you have make sure you are using the same login details that you first used. i.e. if you used your phone number to log in use your phone number not your email address and visa versa.

If you have never been bound in the app then the previous owner/user hasn't unbound themselves, in which case you need to email MG's customer services with a copy of the car's V5 (log book) and proof of ownership so they can reset the account.

Is your display set to "auto" or "dark" mode?
The 2nd (correct) code won't show if that's the case.
I tried this but still dont get the 2nd code. Any ideas?

I tried this but still dont get the 2nd code. Any ideas?
I eventually got it working. Didnt realise that is was the screen with the 2 QR codes. I pressed the Connect Vehicle and scanned to right hand QR code, had to try and magnify it for it to work, then it asked me for a PIN.
Thanks for the whole thread on this

I have bought an MG4 from a dealership. It is new but was the test drive model so has 3000 miles on it.
I have installed the app and created an account but am unable to bind to the car.
The app tells me to bind before it can do anything.
In the car a trophy long range I go into user, and get a qr code.
The app scans this asks me to login. I press login button and return to the screen telling me to bind.
I've tried this 20 plus times it always does the same.
What am I doing wrong?
I have also logged into my account in the car. So the car knows who I am. The app knows who I am but they won't bind together.
Any help appreciated

I have bought an MG4 from a dealership. It is new but was the test drive model so has 3000 miles on it.
I have installed the app and created an account but am unable to bind to the car.
The app tells me to bind before it can do anything.
In the car a trophy long range I go into user, and get a qr code.
The app scans this asks me to login. I press login button and return to the screen telling me to bind.
I've tried this 20 plus times it always does the same.
What am I doing wrong?
I have also logged into my account in the car. So the car knows who I am. The app knows who I am but they won't bind together.
Any help appreciated
We had an issue of the car being bound to an ex salesman's account, took ages to sort out. Won't led you bind a car when it is already bound to another account. But this sounds different.

Have you got another device with which you can try the MGismart app? We got my wife to sign up on her phone in the end because I was struggling. Now I sign in on my phone via her account.

Basically it is one MG account and one car that get bound together.

We had an issue of the car being bound to an ex salesman's account, took ages to sort out. Won't led you bind a car when it is already bound to another account. But this sounds different.

Have you got another device with which you can try the MGismart app? We got my wife to sign up on her phone in the end because I was struggling. Now I sign in on my phone via her account.

Basically it is one MG account and one car that get bound together.
I have just given this a try but got the same result. Installed app on my wife's phone and set up a new account with her phone number.
It told me to bind, got the qr code, scanned it clicked login and back to you need to bind screen.
Is there a way to find out if the car is already bound to someone at the dealership's phone?
Can I tell the car to unbind from any phone it is bound to?
What happens if a car is sold? How do you transfer to new phone?

I have just given this a try but got the same result. Installed app on my wife's phone and set up a new account with her phone number.
It told me to bind, got the qr code, scanned it clicked login and back to you need to bind screen.
Is there a way to find out if the car is already bound to someone at the dealership's phone?
What happens if a car is sold? How do you transfer to new phone?
A few answers:
  • If the car is already bound it would probably say that - that was the message we got.
  • The binding isn't with the car only - it is all done via the MG servers.
    Is it possible the car can't connect with the server where you are? What is the mobile reception like?
  • When selling the car you should really unbind your account from the car before passing it on. Otherwise the new owner will have to get MG to unbind it (including proving new ownership) which is a pain for them.
Hope you can get it sorted!
There are a few features with the Ismart that are handy, like being able to check the battery remotely and things like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you email MG's customer services and ask them to unbind the car. They will need a copy of your V5C and proof of ownership.

The account will only accept one user name and one password.
How do you transfer to new phone?
If you get a new phone just use the same log in details you originally set up including the old phone number if that's what you used. You can use your email address instead when first setting up the account.

I posted this on another thread and think it might help here.

I have spent a few hours trying to bind the new app to my MG Trophy. The old app gave no problems. I looked at many different sources for advice but found nothing that worked.
I have now solved the problem for myself. I hope this might help others.
In the past I must have signed into the app by using my phone number or my email address. I assumed it was two ways of accessing my MG iSmart account. I now realise by doing that I have created two accounts, no feedback appears that tells you that fact.
When trying to bind the new app using the QR code on the infotainment display, it displayed “success” but remained on the binding screen on my phone. I was using my email address to sign into my iSmart account.
Eventually, I tried signing in using my phone number. Immediately the iSmart app connected to my car without the need to bind it using the QR code. It displayed the status of my car correctly.
Therefore, my car was already bound to my account because I must have used the phone number login when I originally bound the car with the old app.
MG do not make it clear that you have to stick to either email user name or mobile number user name, otherwise you create two accounts.
Omg, I had been having the exact same problem, tried with my email instead of phone number and it immediately bound me! Thank you for this tip

A few answers:
  • If the car is already bound it would probably say that - that was the message we got.
  • The binding isn't with the car only - it is all done via the MG servers.
    Is it possible the car can't connect with the server where you are? What is the mobile reception like?
  • When selling the car you should really unbind your account from the car before passing it on. Otherwise the new owner will have to get MG to unbind it (including proving new ownership) which is a pain for them.
Hope you can get it sorted!
There are a few features with the Ismart that are handy, like being able to check the battery remotely and things like that.
I've just tried driving to another location in case we are in a 4g blind spot that affects the car but got the same issue in two other locations so doesn't seem to be that.
I've taken some photos and screenshot in case anyone can see something I am doing wrong.

I've just tried driving to another location in case we are in a 4g blind spot that affects the car but got the same issue in two other locations so doesn't seem to be that.
I've taken some photos and screenshot in case anyone can see something I am doing wrong.
I open the app and get a screen asking me to bind

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240520_200625_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20240520_200625_MG iSMART.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 5
I open the app and get a screen asking me to bind
Then I go to user and get a qr code and scan it. I get a button to confirm login which all sounds good. The car also tells me to click the login on the app.
I do that and straight back to the to bind screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240520_200337_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20240520_200337_MG iSMART.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 4
Then I go to user and get a qr code and scan it. I get a button to confirm login which all sounds good. The car also tells me to click the login on the app.
I do that and straight back to the to bind screen.
I don't know if this is relevant or not but on the car it also tells me to login as in the photo. This is on the same page I get the qr code but seems different. I've done that login both with phone number and email and that seems to work. The car knows my name which must come from my account. So car is logged into account. Phone app is logged into the account but they are not "bound" so don't work together.
Have I done something wrong?

Attachments

• 20240520_200717.jpg
    20240520_200717.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 4
I don't know if this is relevant or not but on the car it also tells me to login as in the photo. This is on the same page I get the qr code but seems different. I've done that login both with phone number and email and that seems to work. The car knows my name which must come from my account. So car is logged into account. Phone app is logged into the account but they are not "bound" so don't work together.
Hmm - I don't remember seeing anything other than a QR code on the car. No way to log in through there on ours. Perhaps yours is more advanced!

Have you now got more than one account with MG? I guess we ended up setting up two but now only use the one set up via my wife's phone.

Very strange.

Maybe try logging out of the account on the phone and logging back in again? If it is already bound that won't make a difference to the car/MG. The binding - once done - will remain in place until it is unbound from the account.

Very strange.

Maybe try logging out of the account on the phone and logging back in again? If it is already bound that won't make a difference to the car/MG. The binding - once done - will remain in place until it is unbound from the account.
I've tried deleting the app on the phone reinstalling and then logging into the app again, but it made no difference. Also set up the app with a new account on my wife's phone and that couldn't connect either. So we have two separate accounts but would only plan to use one. Which ever one we can get to connect

I've tried deleting the app on the phone reinstalling and then logging into the app again, but it made no difference. Also set up the app with a new account on my wife's phone and that couldn't connect either. So we have two separate accounts but would only plan to use one. Which ever one we can get to connect
Ugh. It has occurred to me that you've got a trophy and we've got an SE so the software may be different.

If I go to the bind screen in the car it still gives two options: an option to bind (with a QR code) as well as unbind. It does that even though it is already bound. However, I expect if someone tried binding to another account you would get the message 'already bound, unbind first' or something like that.

Basically nothing changes within the car except you get an error message telling you it isn't possible to bind because the car is bound to another account.

20240521_111326.jpg

If you have that QR code, what if you try logging in to one of your other accounts and try binding with that - does it say that it is already bound?

Also - perhaps someone with a trophy could confirm any differences within the software.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back