Keyless start? Anyone got it working?

I have the same problem. The digital key screen connects to the car OK via bluetooth, it will unlock. But when I get in the dash screen just says smart key not detected. If I press the Start/Start on the digital key I get a message saying "MG Success" but still no change to the car. :(

Tried pressing everything, lifting on and off the seat etc. The car was busy clicking away, locking unlocking the brake pedal, opening and closing vents. But not going into Start mode :(.

If your Digital Key opens the car but doesn't start it I wouldn't say the phone is the problem.
Nope... I factory rest my test phone, some kind of Nokia running Android 12. I set it up as me, installed the MG iSMART app only, signed in, went to the car and tried all the previous steps listed including the additional steps of putting any which way in the storage box and got exactly the same results / messages.

You're using an android phone right? Not an iPhone?

Nope... I factory rest my test phone, some kind of Nokia running Android 12. I set it up as me, installed the MG iSMART app only, signed in, went to the car and tried all the previous steps listed including the additional steps of putting any which way in the storage box and got exactly the same results / messages.

You're using an android phone right? Not an iPhone?
Tried with my work iPhone and exactly the same.

Just come back from MG Redditch. Exactly the same as before. They've updated some of the modules in the car but still on R33 for the infotainment system. HVAC system also still out of calibration.

MG Redditch have opened a case up for both the digital key and HVAC system with MG UK. They will ring me back Tuesday with an update.

Last edited:
Took the car into the dealership this week. The lead mechanic was surprised to know that Bluetooth was active before the head unit was powered on 🤨 They've installed some updates and asked me to try it again but I still can't get it to work. It's annoying me now.

Just tried this on my Trophy. It works with the iPhone 13 and I can drive the car after pressing the brake pedal to make it READY. It shows the smartkey warning before pressing the brake pedal, but then everything seems normal. I keep the keys in a faraday pouch so I'm reasonably certain the key couldn't be detected. Infotainment is R33.

Works on the SE flawlessly in my experience anyway. R13 infotainment version. Whether that makes any difference I have no idea…

I know this is an older post but I have a new essence 77kw. So a trophy level for you in UK. I use Android and had a lot of issues getting the digital key to connect via Bluetooth. I finally sorted it as it sometimes would connect and sometimes wouldn't. The solution at least on Android is to ensure you have location service turned on!! Yeh not sure why that is required but if enabled then the digital key connects every time and just works as it should.

Still no dice on mine with all the permissions set correctly.
Screenshot_20231011-181041.png

Still no dice on mine with all the permissions set correctly.
View attachment 20735
android or apple phone? I would try the following. Go into the ismart app. delete digital key, clear cache, logoff the app, then uninstall the app. Then reinstall the app, ensure you are within Bluetooth range of the car, ensure location services are turned on on the phone (particularly android). Now logon to the app, go to the icall icon top left and ensure you have set your location in there. go to profile, digital key and create the key. then try connecting using the Bluetooth icon if it hasn't already connected to the car.... If all that doesn't work then I can only assume that a phones permission setting or o/s level are incompatible or the cars firmware may need an update. I did struggle but once setup now continues to work as long as location services are on (I usually turn mine off) which was mine sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. As I had assumed location had nothing to do with it as it uses Bluetooth I never connected the dots that this was the reason for my issues.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel