Keyless start? Anyone got it working?

Mine is exactly the same as yours. My garage raised this with MG about a month ago but not heard anything yet.
Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 19.39.29.jpeg

The keyless start on this screen doesn't work, you need to go to digital key management, select your car, then keyless from this screen.

View attachment 22364
The keyless start on this screen doesn't work, you need to go to digital key management, select your car, then keyless from this screen.
It's another bit on non-obvious design. You'd expect the big "button" with the off/on symbol to actually do something, but no, it's just a graphic, and you have to touch the much smaller text below it to take you to another screen where you select the one and only key to get yet another screen to actually do something (or not in my case because it doesn't work!).

Honestly, send the devs back to do some high school IT classes.

The "button" should take you directly to the actions screen (if the key is enabled), the Digital Key Management should be removed from this screen, and put back in the profile settings, where you can create/enable/disable the key.

It's another bit on non-obvious design. You'd expect the big "button" with the off/on symbol to actually do something, but no, it's just a graphic, and you have to touch the much smaller text below it to take you to another screen where you select the one and only key to get yet another screen to actually do something (or not in my case because it doesn't work!).

Honestly, send the devs back to do some high school IT classes.

The "button" should take you directly to the actions screen (if the key is enabled), the Digital Key Management should be removed from this screen, and put back in the profile settings, where you can create/enable/disable the key.
Works for me from the home page. As I am near the car I just pull down the menu and it connects to bluetooth.

My digital key works but I have concerns. Using the MyCar page I can unlock the car without entering the security code. When I unlock the car from the home page using the e-Sim it asks for the security code but I think the unlock access is valid for a certain amount of time because when I tried later no code was required. More tests required.

My digital key works but I have concerns. Using the MyCar page I can unlock the car without entering the security code. When I unlock the car from the home page using the e-Sim it asks for the security code but I think the unlock access is valid for a certain amount of time because when I tried later no code was required. More tests required.
On the home page, the unlock button uses either the eSIM or the Bluetooth key depending on whether you are connected to the car via Bluetooth or not.

The concern is you need to enter your PIN/Biometric confirmation to switch the heater on, but not to unlock to the car so anyone can get access to the contents!

Last edited:
The concern is you need to enter your PIN/Biometric conformation to switch the heater on, but not to unlock to the car so anyone can get access to the contents!
Did you try that after having previously entered the PIN/Biometric during that app usage session?

Going though the Digital Key menu failed to start the car after multiple attempts. The car clearly detects the key, since it immediately throws the “Smart key not detected” error.

Well I went in there because my high beam was turning on during the day and when it was barely even dark people were really annoyed at me for blinding them so I told Glyn Hopkin off and they booked it in and did all the software updates it has since stopped blinding people since lol
That’s another thing the high beam used to come on passing a tree then stay on and annoy all drivers and I find it fussy trying to turn it off whilst driving without making a mess of the lights

That’s another thing the high beam used to come on passing a tree then stay on and annoy all drivers and I find it fussy trying to turn it off whilst driving without making a mess of the lights
You can put on low beam (even on auto) by the usual pull on the stalk, just as you would when controlling on manual settings.

You’d think so wouldn’t you Rolfe

Who, me?

After having accidentally turned the lights right off while trying to dip the headlights a couple of times, I've taken to tapping the stalk quite near the steering column both to dip the lights and turn full beam on again. This works.

I was giving the auto full beam a chance, but it keeps seeing its own reflection in road signs at bends and dipping right at the bend, and I don't like it. Manual control restored.

I think problem is on the MG servers, something goes wrong when the link between the car and the account is broken.

I created a new account and bound that to the car, then the digital key worked. Went back to original account to test it and it still didn't work. Rebound the new account and now that wouldn't work either! Created a third account and the key works again.

Trouble is you do not seem to be able to delete the old accounts and then create a new one with the same name. The delete option is there, and says it has worked, but even after leaving it a month I still get an "account already exists" error - which is probably in violation of GDPR as well.

I think problem is on the MG servers, something goes wrong when the link between the car and the account is broken.

I created a new account and bound that to the car, then the digital key worked. Went back to original account to test it and it still didn't work. Rebound the new account and now that wouldn't work either! Created a third account and the key works again.

Trouble is you do not seem to be able to delete the old accounts and then create a new one with the same name. The delete option is there, and says it has worked, but even after leaving it a month I still get an "account already exists" error - which is probably in violation of GDPR as well.
It isn't ... unless MG have no reasons at all to keep details of the old accounts.

Why? The account is redundant, is not used for anything, and I requested it be deleted. It has my personal details on it - email and phone number. I can see no reason why they would need to retain it?

Also the T&C's say you can terminate the agreement at any time by deleting your account - except you can't!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back