Lane assist help

As has been said before. I think it depends on how proactive the dealers are.
Some are fitting the modified oil breather during the PDI check and making sure all the updates are installed before releasing it to the customer which means taking up garage space and the fitters time.
Others are just shoving them out of the door letting the customer in effect check that everything is OK especially if they've travelled a long way to collect it hoping they will go to their nearest dealer to get things corrected. Or am I being too cynical?
No, I don't think you are being too cynical and whilst many dealers are understanding if you contact them after purchase with issues and are quite prepared to try and sort out problems it seems very few if any of them are retrofitting modified oil breathers and doing software updates before delivery based on comments here from new owners.
I still feel dealers are just playing the 'wait and see' game as their main focus is on sales as is the case with any vehicle brand I suppose. :unsure:

Last edited:
No, I don't think you are being too cynical and whilst many dealers are understanding if you contact them after purchase with issues and are quite prepared to try and sort out problems it seems very few if any of them are retrofitting modified oil breathers and doing software updates before delivery based on comments here from new owners.
I still feel dealers are just playing the 'wait and see' game as their main focus is on sales.
My dealer rang me this week with a delivery update which will be in the next few days depending on when the receive it from the port.
I asked him about the oil breather and software updates. He said they are doing all the updates and fitting the modified breather before they release the cars. They have already had to clean a customers drive due to the oil leak and don't want to do it again.
I agree there are a lot of dealers just after the money but luckily I seem to have found the exception but time will tell.

Used MG pilot yesterday on A1 going South worked OK, just crazy drivers pulling in too early after overtaking,freaked out the MG . No Lane Keep activated.

We collected our trophy last week and the LKA defaults to on every time you start the car. I’ve had no issues with it, I’ve even tried changing lanes without indicating and whilst it gets cross with you, the “tug” it puts on the wheel is so minimal it feels more like a vibration than anything. It had all the most recent updates applied so guess ours is more toned down than others but it really isn’t that bad if you’re driving properly.

We collected our trophy last week and the LKA defaults to on every time you start the car. I’ve had no issues with it, I’ve even tried changing lanes without indicating and whilst it gets cross with you, the “tug” it puts on the wheel is so minimal it feels more like a vibration than anything. It had all the most recent updates applied so guess ours is more toned down than others but it really isn’t that bad if you’re driving properly.
It does sound like it’s less intrusive (and less dangerous even) after being updated. 👍

My Lane Assistance in MG Pilot defaults and resets to ON each time the car is powered off/on. I’d rather it wasn’t on so I’ve got into the habit of turning it off each time.

My dealer rang me this week with a delivery update which will be in the next few days depending on when the receive it from the port.
I asked him about the oil breather and software updates. He said they are doing all the updates and fitting the modified breather before they release the cars. They have already had to clean a customers drive due to the oil leak and don't want to do it again.
I agree there are a lot of dealers just after the money but luckily I seem to have found the exception but time will tell.
Hopefully you have found a decent dealer. Please keep us updated after picking up your car. :)

currently mine LKA stays off but I need some updates done and expect that once the updates are done it will have to be turned off for each journey. However I have a question for those of you who have the issue of turning LKA off before every journey. MG said that the driver drowsiness detection can be turned off but will need to be turned off for each journey. However if I turn it off then reach the speed it needs to activate 35 ish and then go under that speed and back up to that speed (ie had to slow for traffic or a roundabout) it turns itself back on. So it is coming back on during the same journey when I’m not even stopping the car. Is that the same for your LKA? Or does it stay off for the entire journey until you park up and lock the car? Thanks

This behavour by the LKA worries me as some owners say it stays off when disabled and some say it keeps coming back on and has to be disabled at every restart. As the late Professor Sumner Miller once said..."why is it so".
Also some do not have other software issues, oil leaks, bulging undertrays, wonky SatNav etc.
How can some of the same model vehicle react differently with LKA and be so different to others with these other issues?
Says very little of the quality control in manufacture as you could hardly call them teething issues in my view.
It is putting buyers in 'a luck of the draw' situation as currently there does not appear to be any pre delivery checks regarding these issues and MG/dealers seem to be just taking a 'hope for the best' attitude and addressing problems as they arise.
It is certainly no way to promote a new brand in my view. :rolleyes:
As far as the software goes, if it is anything like the early MG ZS EV then there are modules within the software during updates and setup that can be selected or deselected. LKA may have some NCAP or legal bearing I believe but still potentially configurable

For example some ZS wouldn’t charge unless the doors were locked, this was a tick box within the software update that varied across the same model because of manual update variation errors at dealerships.

I don’t know but I would guess that nearly all of these settings are configurable when the technician is setting up the software or upgrading. It was and perhaps still is a strange way to manage this area.
It‘s also extremely poor not to have public software version history and release notes available.
I’m surprised that SAIC are not more advanced in this area.

currently mine LKA stays off but I need some updates done and expect that once the updates are done it will have to be turned off for each journey. However I have a question for those of you who have the issue of turning LKA off before every journey. MG said that the driver drowsiness detection can be turned off but will need to be turned off for each journey. However if I turn it off then reach the speed it needs to activate 35 ish and then go under that speed and back up to that speed (ie had to slow for traffic or a roundabout) it turns itself back on. So it is coming back on during the same journey when I’m not even stopping the car. Is that the same for your LKA? Or does it stay off for the entire journey until you park up and lock the car? Thanks
There are different replies re this, some say LKA stays off and some say they have to turn it and other things off or adjust them at each start etc. I wasn't aware that the drowsiness detection was part of LKA or am I reading that wrong?
In any case if I have to turn things off and remember to remind my wife to turn certain things off at each restart then that is a deal breaker for me. I just want to be able to get in, start the car and drive off in the same way I use my current ICE vehicle.
Imagine a situation where you are using your car for work and had to make 20 or 30 stops during the day as a sales rep or whatever. You would go bonkers setting the car up at each restart. :rolleyes:
I have my Lane departure warning (not assist), air conditioning, music, voice control, ACC, blind spot warning, rear cross traffic alert, auto headlights etc. set up the way I want and all the settings are retained and I never have to alter anything, just get in and drive the car.
Surely it is not rocket science, all this technology has been around for a long time, my vehicle is a 2017 model but it was around well before that.

Last edited:
Drowsiness detection (DT) has nothing to do with LKA. It's intended to determine the alertness level of the driver ... LKA might take effect if the driver is not paying attention, but DT is intended to alert the driver so that LKA doesn't even need to take effect.

That's the theory ... the action may be somewhat different. :)

There are different replies re this, some say LKA stays off and some say they have to turn it and other things off or adjust them at each start etc. I wasn't aware that the drowsiness detection was part of LKA or am I reading that wrong?
In any case if I have to turn things off and remember to remind my wife to turn certain things off at each restart then that is a deal breaker for me. I just want to be able to get in, start the car and drive off in the same way I use my current ICE vehicle.
Imagine a situation where you are using your car for work and had to make 20 or 30 stops during the day as a sales rep or whatever. You would go bonkers setting the car up at each restart. :rolleyes:
I have my Lane departure warning (not assist), air conditioning, music, voice control, ACC, blind spot warning, rear cross traffic alert, auto headlights etc. set up the way I want and all the settings are retained and I never have to alter anything, just get in and drive the car.
Surely it is not rocket science, all this technology has been around for a long time, my vehicle is a 2017 model but it was around well before that my
Drowsiness detection (DT) has nothing to do with LKA. It's intended to determine the alertness level of the driver ... LKA might take effect if the driver is not paying attention, but DT is intended to alert the driver so that LKA doesn't even need to take effect.

That's the theory ... the action may be somewhat different. :)
Maybe I didn’t explain my conundrum well enough. I appreciate LKA and the drowsiness detection are different features. I was trying to explain that if I turn off my drowsiness detection at the start of a journey it comes back on if I go over 35 miles per hour in the SAME journey. So I haven’t stopped and it is the same journey, it was turned off at the start but still comes back on while I’m driving. Do people have the same problem with LKA, ie do you turn it off at the start of a journey and it comes back on in the SAME journey? My LKA currently stays off and doesn’t need to be turned off before a journey so just worried about updating it in case I then have the issues I have with my drowsiness detection symptom. However if you just turn it off before each journey I can live with that

This is super dangerous! only had it a week and I think I've almost had a dozen accidents because of the LKA... starting to pester them on twitter about it. Whoever cares enough about it can you retweet your storey and why they need to deactivate LKA ->

They won’t do it. It’s an NCAP requirement to come on by default at the start of each journey. Just turn it off each time. Yes it’s a pain and there should be a physical button to turn it off, but it’s not that difficult to switch it off - takes like 5 seconds

This is super dangerous! only had it a week and I think I've almost had a dozen accidents because of the LKA... starting to pester them on twitter about it. Whoever cares enough about it can you retweet your storey and why they need to deactivate LKA ->

I have only had mine since Friday but due to this forum and videos on YouTube where the advice was to turn it off. That’s what I do every time in my pre flight checks. Whilst it is a nuisance it doesn’t take long.

My pre flight checks are put car on eco as it defaults to normal every time. Switch lane assist off to alert only, emergency brake off to alert only. I like Auto Hold on but that will only be set as I have found if you have your seatbelt fastened. Regen seems to stay where I have set it on 3 although I haven’t seen any signs of any yet maybe it will show up on a long journey.

All this doesn’t take long and I am soon on my way.

Make sure you switch it off after you have pressed the brake pedal and put the car in 'Ready' mode - it will stay off then for that journey. Apologies if you knew that already!

In an ideal world it would be nice if it stayed off but it's a minor inconvenience, in the grand scheme of things, to go through the motions of switching it off before setting off

Although LKA is annoying, I can't say it's caused me to almost have an accident at any time it's kicked in, It seems to be doing what it should, but I have only had the car 9 days.

Make sure you switch it off after you have pressed the brake pedal and put the car in 'Ready' mode - it will stay off then for that journey. Apologies if you knew that already!

In an ideal world it would be nice if it stayed off but it's a minor inconvenience, in the grand scheme of things, to go through the motions of switching it off before setting off
because im human, i forget to do it from time to time... each time ive forgotten something has happened... most of the time i am just driving on a country road and then BEEP and tries to drag me somewhere.... sometimes in the middle of the road... sometimes into a hedge lol... the cameras arent good enough on it for it to be a safety feature lol

Although LKA is annoying, I can't say it's caused me to almost have an accident at any time it's kicked in, It seems to be doing what it should, but I have only had the car 9 days.
It’s better after the update, but I had to be on my toes today to stop it from pulling me into the side of a parked row of cars which meant I had to cross over the centre line.

It wasn’t a situation you’d think of putting your indicators on as it’s one where there is a turning on the other side of the road so it turning on your indicator there would make it look as if I wanted to go into that road, and there’s room in the road to both sets of traffic to still get past, even with the row of parked cars so you gently go to the middle of the road as you approach, but if you go over 37 mph gonna past that traffic, that’s when the car suddenly tries to pull you into the parked cars.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back