Lane Keep Assist love.....

The only calibrations that are done to my knowledge are alignment. I.e. are they registering straight ahead correctly. Sensitivity to objects is down to the software, as is the action taken once it thinks it has detected something.

As I understand it, the camera has it's own built-in detection algorithms, it outputs a data stream to the car rather than video, but it is up to the car to decide what to do with that data. I would imagine the data contains the type of object, position and a confidence level of the detection.

I don't know, but I'd again speculate it is highly likely the camera is an off-the-shelf module bought in by MG and used by other manufacturers as well.

Never find it a problem, i usually indicate if even if i dont see another car or reason to indicate so i dont get "nudged" often and the nudge is NOT the car wrenching the wheel from my grasp.

I deliberately tried LKA after my service update as it now comes on by default (previously it had stayed off all the time). I knew I'd forget to turn it off so thought I should find out what it was like. I tried on a well marked dual carriageway and it just gave a gentle nudge, so I thought it wasn't too bad. But on the unmarked lanes around us it goes mental and tugs away much more violently. Goodness knows what it thinks it's seeing but it's a completely different experience on lanes than on main roads.

After a year of driving the car without needing to set anything before driving off I still keep forgetting to cancel LKA every now and then. The first twitch has me stabbing at the screen so an easier method of turning it off would suit me very well.

When it attempts to drive you onto the wrong side of the road and into an oncoming traffic, then you might change your mind. This happened to me twice in one day recently. On one of them it tried to take me into an oncoming 40 tonne semi. It scared the shit out of me.

Normally it just tries to take me off the road, or jerks the steering wheel unnecessarily with a fairly violent tug. It's an atrocious and often dangerous feature.
WHEN it attempts... etc., maybe I will change my mind. But it hasn't yet...

If it makes people feel any better, a friend at work has just received her new Mercedes EQ(something). I asked her how it was, and one of the first things she mentioned was that it had a really annoying 'lane assist thing', and that she had to turn it off every single time she got in the car.

I am wondering if it would be possible to set the required settings via ODB2 and have an extra wireless button that is set to kick off the configuration sequence - giving me all my preferences at a single click.

WHEN it attempts... etc., maybe I will change my mind. But it hasn't yet...
So cancer is not an issue unless you're the one with cancer?

That's an extreme analogy, just to make a point that just because you've had the good fortune to not experience such issues with your car does not mean there is no issue with the car for others. There are enough reports of inappropriate LKA intervention on enough forums to know it is a problem.

It ranges from your experience of no issues, to it being an occasional minor annoyance, to it being regularly frustrating, to it being downright dangerous.

On any given day in our MG4 I have experienced all of the above. I not been able to assign a pattern to it and on the same stretch of road (particularly on Waterfall Way where I live) it will exhibit quite different behaviours. It does tend to be far more twitchy on our country roads (we live in rural northern NSW).

On the motorway it's generally no issue although it has a tendency to briefly pull towards turn out lanes and emergency stopping lanes, and I've had one experience of the emergency braking system cut in for no reason while in cruise control on the Pacific motorway, fortunately with no vehicles behind us.

The weird thing is, if I safely choose to veer to the side of the lane, even cross a line, e.g. to avoid a pothole or some road kill, then quite often the car does nothing. But I can be driving centred in a well marked lane and out of the blue get a violent jerk on the steering wheel. The ones pulling me to the right and towards oncoming traffic are downright scary.

It's also good to know that the car can behave well and perform without issue for many others - which tells me there is inconsistency in how the system operates from car to car and there is something MG can do about it, but aren't.

Sorry, pedant - he/she had several criteria, and one of them was 'it had to be possible to turn it off completely'

Apologies for resurrecting a months-old post! I've just come to this thread, as the old chestnut, LKA, is endlessly fascinating to me - as I have never had a problem with it. And I don't get why people are so incensed with it, and feel the need to switch it off every time they get in their car. I guess that my Trophy has a different version of software? I've not had it updated, I picked up the car a few weeks ago and have not switched LKA OFF, or even changed its state, and it is really not a problem. I've been a bit rude to some people here, for which I apologise, but they talk of 'dangerous behaviour', and 'someone will get killed', and 'I'm going to return the car as unfit'.

None of this sounds like the car I bought!
I have had mine 5 weeks now mostly country road driving, like you I have had no issues with LKA either. It never feels that I have lost or am losing control of the car.

I left LKA off today on my 100km round trip to my hangar. I had a passenger on the way home and I thought I may be a little more distracted than normal. The road is well defined with appropriate white lines. LKA activated twice and I got a beep & steering wheel kick. Not dangerous at all, just a concentration reminder. I did signal lane changes and motorway on/off ramp so got nothing there.

I do turn it off mostly but I could live with it if I had to. As I have said before KLA teaches you to drive accurately and if you do this on main roads it is not really a problem. On lanes and roads with poorly defined edges or no lines at all, I'd make sure it was always off. MG just need to provide a shortcut single button to turn it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to remember to switch LKA off each time I set off but yesterday I had forgotten to do so. I was driving home along a (single carriageway) main road I know well. This road has potholes and sunken manhole covers. As I was approaching one I steered to avoid it and it was like I'd hit black ice, the car didn't change direction! Luckily it was only one of manhole covers rather than a pothole otherwise it may have needed a trip to ATS.

I do wish there was a way to permanently disable this or at least a one-button-off switch. It's one of those "gimmicks" I could well do without.

I try to remember to switch LKA off each time I set off but yesterday I had forgotten to do so. I was driving home along a (single carriageway) main road I know well. This road has potholes and sunken manhole covers. As I was approaching one I steered to avoid it and it was like I'd hit black ice, the car didn't change direction! Luckily it was only one of manhole covers rather than a pothole otherwise it may have needed a trip to ATS.

I do wish there was a way to permanently disable this or at least a one-button-off switch. It's one of those "gimmicks" I could well do without.
Jupp my Ioniq has a dedicated button just for this.

On lanes and roads with poorly defined edges or no lines at all, I'd make sure it was always off. MG just need to provide a shortcut single button to turn it off
Or better still, as some manufacturers do, automatically disable until lines become clear enough again to get definitive reading, then re-enable .
Herself's Kia Eniro does exactly that and she never turns it off, and it never behaves erratically, just gives a slight nudge/resistance if you get too close to the line (and only where marking are clear)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back