Lane Keep Assist love.....

Last I checked my sealed, there was no LKA updates. The last was dated back to December 2022 when I bought my car, and R46 infotainment update didn't make any impact on its behaviour.
I took mine if for a spoiler replacement and they did (allegedly) 3 ‘recall’ updates that cannot be refused because if you do, the warranty is invalid. I had to sign and agree they could do these updates before they would take the car for the spoiler replacement.

Yes, I know that happens on the Trophy, although some people say it's been fixed with an update. But it has never happened on the SE.
I wonder if it's a "feature" of a later software build? We can agree that this doesn't happen with 1100R13.

I took mine if for a spoiler replacement and they did (allegedly) 3 ‘recall’ updates that cannot be refused because if you do, the warranty is invalid. I had to sign and agree they could do these updates before they would take the car for the spoiler replacement.
What kinda recall updates are you talking about?

What kinda recall updates are you talking about?
Well, here’s the thing, they couldn’t really tell me anything. It seems there must be more than one type of update. I’m assuming ‘recall’ and at least one other type, maybe ‘standard’ and also, perhaps, infotainment? I really don’t know. They insist that if you refuse to have updates done, it invalidates the warranty but in my opinion, that could be tested in court, I’m sure. I could see SAIC getting into all kinds of trouble if they tried that. The other thing is, the dealer told me they had exactly zero idea of what the updates were, what they affected or if they were for the car itself, safety systems or infotainment. It all seems a bit odd to me if I’m honest.

Well, here’s the thing, they couldn’t really tell me anything. It seems there must be more than one type of update. I’m assuming ‘recall’ and at least one other type, maybe ‘standard’ and also, perhaps, infotainment? I really don’t know. They insist that if you refuse to have updates done, it invalidates the warranty but in my opinion, that could be tested in court, I’m sure. I could see SAIC getting into all kinds of trouble if they tried that. The other thing is, the dealer told me they had exactly zero idea of what the updates were, what they affected or if they were for the car itself, safety systems or infotainment. It all seems a bit odd to me if I’m honest.
It's a product recall, the car has been recalled because it's unsafe. Like when the Honda Jazzes set on fire if you let the electric window buttons get wet. They all had to go back and get fixed.

It's the same here. The software in the car is so buggy that it is unsafe and needs the update. It's all under warranty but if you refuse to have the fix done then they aren't going to cover you.

It’s not going to intrude if there’s no lines.
It thinks you’re driving down a nice wide lane.
Not so with mine. Driving on "remote" country lanes, it picks up tarmac seams/repairs, if there are tyre tracks through fallen leaves and other similar types of markings , LKA sometimes nearly rips the steering wheel out of my hands and darts for the grass verge

I've not found it at all intrusive which is why I'm surprised with all the negativity.....

so I am not negative! It's generally OK on other roads.

Not so with mine. Driving on "remote" country lanes, it picks up tarmac seams/repairs, if there are tyre tracks through fallen leaves and other similar types of markings , LKA sometimes nearly rips the steering wheel out of my hands and darts for the grass verge

so I am not negative! It's generally OK on other roads.
I have very similar problems on country roads when the cameras are dirty and occasionally just because. There are a number of software updates available for the older versions of the car. It would be worth contacting you local dealership and seeing if yours needs them. The update should be free and any work covered by warranty.

:ROFLMAO:

As someone who rides bikes too I reckon this is total bobbins. I don't even scratch my arse without doing the lifesaver check first.

Last time I checked it was "mirror, signal, manoeuvre", and you can stop at any point if it isn't safe. Signalling is just a good habit - which is why all the old buggers around me don't do it, they have crap habits from years of piss-poor driving.

Remember, signalling isn't for you, it's for everyone else, and you might have missed one despite extra checks. And personally, I generally do give a stuff about others. Seems every time I drive I get behind someone at a roundabout and I'm thinking "where the hell are you going?" because there's no indication of any sort, then suddenly they blast it all the way right, and then the best one is when they indicate after they've made the move and they're off the roundabout. Boils my piss. Same on motorways, why do people signal when they're half way through pulling in and out of lanes?
100% agree. Took my car test in 89 after 15 years of bikes and those lifesavers stayed with me. Driving examiner commented that observation skills were some of the best he’d seen. Took my advanced driving test in 96 and the observer had only 1 comment - excellent over the shoulder look backs, biking skills had obviously stayed with me.
now I consider its a good day if a driver pulls out after looking both ways, mostly they’re looking at the phone or seem to be focussed on spiders on the windscreen 🙄

A criterion. Today's helpful announcement from your friendly local grammar pedant.
Sorry, pedant - he/she had several criteria, and one of them was 'it had to be possible to turn it off completely'

Sorry, pedant - he/she had several criteria, and one of them was 'it had to be possible to turn it off completely'
Apologies for resurrecting a months-old post! I've just come to this thread, as the old chestnut, LKA, is endlessly fascinating to me - as I have never had a problem with it. And I don't get why people are so incensed with it, and feel the need to switch it off every time they get in their car. I guess that my Trophy has a different version of software? I've not had it updated, I picked up the car a few weeks ago and have not switched LKA OFF, or even changed its state, and it is really not a problem. I've been a bit rude to some people here, for which I apologise, but they talk of 'dangerous behaviour', and 'someone will get killed', and 'I'm going to return the car as unfit'.

None of this sounds like the car I bought!

None of this sounds like the car I bought!
There's clearly an issue with some (earlier?) models - my trophy LKA is fine (other than at the moment because the garage did something so I can't turn it on), a gentle nudge and not prone to seeing lines that aren't there. I don't get any of this sudden swerving into traffic or anything like that. Now, the emergency braking...

Oh, that was Bowfer and I was needling him. But the word was being used in the singular. Even if someone has several criteria, if you mention one of them on its own, it's "a criterion".

Oh, that was Bowfer and I was needling him. But the word was being used in the singular. Even if someone has several criteria, if you mention one of them on its own, it's "a criterion".
I thought you were replying to Amun's post... but it's all in the past now!

Apologies for resurrecting a months-old post! I've just come to this thread, as the old chestnut, LKA, is endlessly fascinating to me - as I have never had a problem with it. And I don't get why people are so incensed with it
When it attempts to drive you onto the wrong side of the road and into an oncoming traffic, then you might change your mind. This happened to me twice in one day recently. On one of them it tried to take me into an oncoming 40 tonne semi. It scared the shit out of me.

Normally it just tries to take me off the road, or jerks the steering wheel unnecessarily with a fairly violent tug. It's an atrocious and often dangerous feature.

Am I the only one who's doesn't mind land keep assist...?
Land keep assist would be very handy if you were travelling on the edge of the sea, lake or a river. I know it's a typo, I just thought it was funny.

I find it annoying but tolerable. I have turned the sensitivity right down but it does tug the wheel a bit but not in a dangerous way IMHO.

What it does do when driving on well marked roads and motorways is encourage you to drive accurately. If you do this by staying in your lane and always signal when changing lanes, turning a corner or departing on the off ramp you will not know it is on. I think the biggest issue is when it cannot distinguish edges on English country lanes and the like and decides cracks, leaves or gravel etc is the lane marking.

I do not suffer this problem where I live.

I realise it must be on by default to maintain the 5 star NCAP so my suggested solution for MG (if there is anyone out there looking or listening) is this:-

There are a couple of ways it would work for me and one of them covers several other things as well.

1. Have a single button on the pull down menu to turn it off. At the moment it is 1, press Car icon, 2, Select driving mode, 3, Select MG Pilot, 4) Press LKA button, 5) press "Disable". That is 4 more steps than should be necessary (or 3 if you accept the default of "Normal" driving mode).

2. Set LKA off in the Custom drive option and all the custom options I like be saved for next time I drive. If, as the car does now always defaults to "Normal" drive mode when turned on then LKA is on whenever it is started and that would satisfy the NCAP requirement.

All that would need to be done is to select Custom with the programmable star button on the steering wheel and all my saved options including LKA off are there and away I go. This would be my preferred option.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

All that would need to be done is to select Custom with the programmable star button on the steering wheel and all my saved options including LKA off are there and away I go. This would be my preferred option.
+1000

I have to wonder if there is a setup / calibration issue for LKA, as reported experiences seem to vary so widely.

I have to wonder if there is a setup / calibration issue for LKA, as reported experiences seem to vary so widely.
Well I would imagine the front camera has to be calibrated for sure.

Similarly the front radar for ACC distance and speed control.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back