Lane Keep Assist love.....

It SHOULD only turn itself back on when you sit back down in the driver's seat, having got out, and then depress the brake.
Do you know which update I should ask for regarding LKA improvements? Got my BCM update for my unwanted window opening.

Yes. I have had this issue numerous times, to the point I turn it off before driving.
Moved across the line to pass a parked car, tried pushing me into it.
Move into a central lane to turn right, pushed me back.
Moved to left side of narrow road as truck coming other way, nearly pushed me into its path.
It causes more dangerous situations than it will stop.
Same for me. Forced me back to a pothole I was avoiding. Car was serviced (and updated) a few weeks ago. Now the car 'remembers' the last front collision distance (I set it to 2 because 3 causes it to brake as you start to overtake) but I now have to turn ELK to Alert everytime I start the car. On narrow North Yorkshire roads I'm constantly fighting the steering wheel.

Doesn't bother me at all. I get in the car, press the footbrake, and turn it off. Unless I'm not going out of the village 20 mph zone. Works every time. No way am I going to let a car of mine take control of the steering wheel.

MG will ignore the LKA problem until it kills somone and it will eventually. Will it veer the car into a wide load coming straight on as mine has tried to more than once? Or will it veer the car into a dog walker or cyclist on a country lane again as mine repeatedly has attempted? I have written to MG warning them the system will kill somone. Their reply was rather lacklustre.

If everyone on this forum wrote to them we might get somewhere but I suspect not.

I really do think it will kill somone.

I've managed one month with my new MG4, for the price it drives great, handles great, comfortable etc etc. The software on the other hand is shocking. The fact that you have to scroll through 'windows' to do even the simplest thing is mind boggling. I've read the forums and the Lane keep Assist, Forward Collision Assist seem to be the hot topic. Everyone has their preferences and personally I've managed to drive 37 years without wanting to fight my steering wheel or have my vehicle totally surprise me by stopping dead. The fact that these features default to on isn't for me so today I disconnected the Forward facing camera. Now when I sit in the seat I get the three brief messages telling me the LKA, FCA and Drowsy driver features aren't available....off I drive with a smug smile. 😜

Turn the LKA sensitivity to the lowest level. Yes it can be a bit annoying but the comments like "My car is trying to kill me" are over the top and out of context IMHO.

Almost every new car has LKA these days and almost every brand that has a forum has the same amount of LKA complaints. Some older models had a tactile button to turn it off but they are becoming fewer due to the cost of providing the button. The ability to save your preferred settings would be a good compromise as Teslas & other brands do. This may feature in the 2024 facelift model.

LKA must be on by default to ensure a vehicle attains the top 5 star NCAP rating. No car maker is going to change that. Only a NCAP change will do anything & that isn't likely.

LKA teaches you to drive accurately in your lane and signal when changing lanes. In country lanes and roads with poor or no markings then it should be turned off as it can interpret lines of leaves or road cracks etc as the lane marking.

But if you are driving with your hands properly placed at the 9 & 3 position on the wheel the tug is not going to steer you anywhere. If you are cruising along nonchalantly without much due care and attention and you cross the line then you will get a physical reminder through the steering wheel. That just demonstrates that you are not driving within your lane, in other words not driving accurately.

If you don't want to change the way you drive just turn LKA off when you get in the car & press the brake pedal. It only takes a few seconds before you start.

The above post is perfectly reasonable, but...
LKA teaches you to drive accurately in your lane and signal when changing lanes. In country lanes and roads with poor or no markings then it should be turned off as it can interpret lines of leaves or road cracks etc as the lane marking.
given that in the UK it's very common to go from a main road with clear markings to a narrow country lane with none, it's not trivial to turn off once moving as it's in a sub menu on the infotainment you have to scroll to find. If it was a simple one button press, either on the steering wheel or the home screen, then there would be far fewer complaints.

I’ve done over 1500 miles with LKA on all the time and I very often use TJA, particularly long trips. I don’t find either a problem. The LKA will very occassionally give a beep and a small tug, but if holding the wheel it doesn’t divert the direction that much to be of concern. It is a safety feature so of some use. It is very noticeable to me that using TJA on a long journey makes it much more relaxing, very noticeable at journey end, I am starting to trust it more and more. It is a bit twitchy, making continuous adjustments, but the technique I prefer is a lighter hold of the wheel so you are not to resisting it’s adjustments. A slight occasional bit of pressure on the wheel is needed to let it know you are still there and awake.

The above post is perfectly reasonable, but...

given that in the UK it's very common to go from a main road with clear markings to a narrow country lane with none, it's not trivial to turn off once moving as it's in a sub menu on the infotainment you have to scroll to find. If it was a simple one button press, either on the steering wheel or the home screen, then there would be far fewer complaints.
Totally agree. The main problem for me was, living in Rural Lincolnshire, most of our roads are winding and assuming road is clear I frequently go over the white line. 'B' roads with centre line are worst. Anyway, it's permanently off now so no more screen scrolling for me 😄

I'm convinced the system is not consistent from car to car, perhaps some calibration variance. I find the roads around here without markings are the worst although the car's attempts to take me into oncoming vehicles, while infrequent, are scary AF.

I'm convinced the system is not consistent from car to car, perhaps some calibration variance.
Following issues with camera calibration, requiring 5 visits to main dealer over a period of 2 months, I now find LKA to be totally inconsistant.

MG state that under certain conditions the system should be disabled, but don't provide
a safe method to disable when driving.

Others have mentioned an update that reduces the kick to the steering and the reaction of passengers (ooh!! what was that) I have to explain it's just the car trying to cause an
accident. Does anyone know what module and version reduces this effect and was it introdued after June 23?

Same for me. Forced me back to a pothole I was avoiding. Car was serviced (and updated) a few weeks ago. Now the car 'remembers' the last front collision distance (I set it to 2 because 3 causes it to brake as you start to overtake) but I now have to turn ELK to Alert everytime I start the car. On narrow North Yorkshire roads I'm constantly fighting the steering wheel.
You mean 3 is the longest distance?

3 bars equates to about 2.7 secs or so following distance. (In my unscientific testing each bar equates to about 0.9s).

3 bars equates to about 2.7 secs or so following distance. (In my unscientific testing each bar equates to about 0.9s).
That's the default, three bars. I did experience it as well but it happened with big trucks. So at first I thought it had something to do with 'size of the object'. It was gone later on when passing normal road cars. But I might have set it to two....

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back