Lane Keeping forcing lane change

On the LKA issue I spoke to the main. dealer about the problem and their answer was it can’t be removed from the software as it has been approved bythe NCAP idiots you have to remove each time the car is . used.On a happier note my MG4 is .i assume because it’s warmer now ,is giving me
238miles. on a charge now,with it in eco and no ac on ,so happy days

Would be interesting to know how many accidents the aggressive random actions of LKA has caused I’ve seen a report of at least 1 and mine almost took me off the carriageway a couple of weeks ago.

Hello I'm new here, having just taken delivery of my MG4 Trophy Long Range on Tuesday. At hand over by the dealer, they recommended turning off on driving on country roads...but it turns itself back on! I think I"ll follow Rolfe's advice. I've said elsewhere on the Forum, I had a Hyundai Kona 64kwh EV and when you set something, 'Drive Mode' for example, it stays set, not like the MG, where you have to keep setting it. I've followed dealers advice and set the 'star' button to change it on the steering wheel, but I'll hopefully get used to it. Good Forum.
I came from Hyundai Ioniq , had to turn LKA off each time but the difference was that they supplied a one touch button to turn it on and off so it was much easier.

That is of course the issue. The MG4 manual states that the Lane Assist should be "turned off immediately" if it causes the car to do anything untoward. The problem is that this is impossible. You have to tap through several screens, including an "are you really sure you want to do this?" dialogue box, before you can turn it off. Drivers should not be required to touch the central screen at all when the car is in motion (fog lights I am talking about you) let along tab through several screens when the vehicle is behaving in an aberrant manner. Good luck turning this off while the car is trying to drive you into the ditch. Or a cyclist.

Lacking a one-touch button the only safe option is to turn it off before driving off, every single time. You can't afford to wait for it to do something unacceptable or even dangerous, and then start fiddling with the infotainment screen to stop it trying to kill you.

Reading the thread I'm pleased that I'm not the only one that the MG4 is trying to drag into a different lane despite being centred in the current lane. It's frustrating that there isn't a quick way to disable it though. If anyone hears of a way to disable this easily to avoid going through the screens to do it please let us all know :)

There isn't one. Turn it off before you start, every time. Takes a couple of seconds, but then you're safe.
Has anyone else had the LKA and FCA turn themselves back on whilst driving after disabling them, this has happened several times and seems to coincide with engaging cruise control, guessing it’s a bug in the software but only happens every now and then.

Yes I’ve had exactly that you turn off LKA for saftey reasons and you lose ACC which I use a lot and miss so what do you do ? , ' I guess saftey first

If I turn off LKA (in my SE) I still have ACC. 🤷‍♂️

Some (Trophy) owners have reported that leaving the Theme set to auto so that it changes (light/dark) based on the lights coming on/off seems to turn LKA back on.

Me too. I use ACC occasionally. I never use the LKA and it always stays off, and the ACC works just fine without it.

It seems to be Trophies that sometimes turn the LKA back on when you're driving them. (When the infotainment screen changes from light to dark or back again? Other triggers too?) In the SE, if you turn it off it stays off.

Euro NCAP should have a general road use test on top of the set "scenarios" it uses to test LKA systems, they'd probably tell MG it wasnt road worthy rather than awarding 5 stars.

I switch it off every trip.

There are 2 types of auto-steering on the MG4. LKA which is on by default and can be quite scary, and then theres TJA which you activate via the menu option and the steering wheel button. I find the TJA steering much better than LKA especially on motorways, but still I wouldnt let go of the steering wheel for a moment.

I don't understand how they still can't role out an update to tame the aggressiveness of this, the fix is there not everyone's is trying to kill them so fix them.
I had this on my Arteon wasn't aggressive or intrusive in anyway, also had a physical button to turn it off.
Have it on my etech again not aggressive or intrusive in anyway, again a physical button to switch it off.
If ncap are insisting on it defaulting to on then MG should be forced into making sure it's safe on all cars, especially because of the lack of a physical on/off button.

Hopefully it's the safe version in the X Power what a feeling that would be flooring it and the car yanking you into the other lane or the verge.

I think this is clearly a common problem and have had this happen suddenly on a motorway too. Always turn it off no as I hate it.

I don't understand how they still can't role out an update to tame the aggressiveness of this, the fix is there not everyone's is trying to kill them so fix them.
I had this on my Arteon wasn't aggressive or intrusive in anyway, also had a physical button to turn it off.
Have it on my etech again not aggressive or intrusive in anyway, again a physical button to switch it off.
If ncap are insisting on it defaulting to on then MG should be forced into making sure it's safe on all cars, especially because of the lack of a physical on/off button.

Hopefully it's the safe version in the X Power what a feeling that would be flooring it and the car yanking you into the other lane or the verge.
You can turn the sensitivity down and it keeps your setting on restarting. Mine's ok since I turned it down.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back