• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Let’s see who gets rattled - charging details

Mark Holmes

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Dear all,
In the openness of debate please see my charging photo below, charged to 96% with 24 minutes remaining on a 7 kWh charge and predicted range of 198 miles on normal mode....
What are your thoughts and does anyone else get this or is it just me. I will also post a fully charged photo once completed.
Fully charged or 99% charged display show 206 miles in normal mode, see photo.
Regards

Attachments

• C05B6F07-EFD3-45D1-B4C1-C25F3E638B2C.jpeg
    C05B6F07-EFD3-45D1-B4C1-C25F3E638B2C.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 7A474844-4492-41B2-A89E-0B69475CC456.jpeg
    7A474844-4492-41B2-A89E-0B69475CC456.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Hello Mark

After full charge my car is 162 miles for normal and 178 miles on eco.
I only drive my car in normal mode now and regen on 3. My average is 3.9 kWh which I'm happy with.

Hi Mark, does your kWh per mile average tally with that range its giving on the GOM, it should be showing 4.9 (206 / 42.5, based on Bjorns usable capacity of the MG) in the trip displays toggled down from the digital speedo?

Hi @Mark Holmes Ive appointed myself moderator and gatekeeper, so I’m afraid I’m going to have to delete this thread. Let me remind you of the site rules.
1). No talking about the eZS
2) No one is to have ‘fun’.
3) no posts after 8 o’clock

like I said the GOM is just optimistic after the comfort update. I got 206 miles on full charge, which jumped to 216 after i switched into eco mode. It should base itself off your total accumulation miles per kilowatt hour, not the theoretical maximum.

no one is suggesting magic extra range after the update, just the way it is guessing. It’s now guessing based on 5 mkWh, 4 would be more realistic

6B472F14-3184-452C-B910-5AE212AAE4CE.jpeg

After full charge my car is 162 miles for normal and 178 miles on eco.
I only drive my car in normal mode now and regen on 3. My average is 3.9 kWh which I'm happy with.
@Allen78
My data is virtually exactly like yours.
The two things that affect my data are outside temperature and driving above 65 / 70mph on the motorways. It seems a lot of EV folk have had consistently better data over the Covid period because they were mostly driving locally.
I personally find I have to do too much to get my efficiency above 4miles/kWh. Driving comfortably I achieve 3.7 to 4.l miles /kWh.
To me your average of 3.9 is excellent.

Hi Mark, does your kWh per mile average tally with that range its giving on the GOM, it should be showing 4.9 (206 / 42.5, based on Bjorns usable capacity of the MG) in the trip displays toggled down from the digital speedo?
No my average is 4.4 miles per kWh

Hi @Mark Holmes Ive appointed myself moderator and gatekeeper, so I’m afraid I’m going to have to delete this thread. Let me remind you of the site rules.
1). No talking about the eZS
2) No one is to have ‘fun’.
3) no posts after 8 o’clock

like I said the GOM is just optimistic after the comfort update. I got 206 miles on full charge, which jumped to 216 after i switched into eco mode. It should base itself off your total accumulation miles per kilowatt hour, not the theoretical maximum.

no one is suggesting magic extra range after the update, just the way it is guessing. It’s now guessing based on 5 mkWh, 4 would be more realistic

View attachment 526
Ha ha no mine is showing an average of 4.4 miles per KWh

It would be easy for the GOM formula to be updated real time, instead of being fixed in stone.

it should take your last 100 miles average, 42.5 kWh x 4.4 mkWh = range 187 on full for example. The sports mode/ hvac use wouldn’t affect estimate so much because it would be taken into consideration with your average mkWh.

Hi Folks,
I have had absolutely no change in my GOM estimates since my C2U was done.
I am sure this is the same with some of you as well. Of course HVAC off, summer temperatures and eco mode can make GOM go from 177 - 163 - 145.This is normal.
I have also spoken to MG at length regarding C2U and so far am aware the only changes MG expect the C2U to effect are those they highlighted in their letter to the dealerships.
My advice to members is therefore not to be worried if their GOM is not showing super magical number despite the C2U.
If you have any concerns have your GOM checked at your Dealership.

Last edited:
It’s not a big deal I know to recalculate, I just know that I will never do 216 miles range with an average of 4.1m kWh. The formula using 5 isn’t lying but unrealistic with mixed driving. It would explain why some people thought their cars had more range after update.

quick question, did you have to lock the doors when rapid charging?

Has anybody ever had an ICE with anything other than a GOM?

So true, its just people don't realise its a GOM because the range is 4-5x more. In winter I used to "loose" a good 80 miles on range between fill-ups compared to the summer in my pretty efficient (for a petrol ICE) Mazda 3.

To further the analogy to ice cars, it’s like driving an old banger where you’re not exactly sure where empty is because the gauge is out by 40 miles.

it Doesn’t help GOM tells me 216, when I know it’s going to be around 170 miles for some reason. Not end of world.

It’s not a big deal I know to recalculate, I just know that I will never do 216 miles range with an average of 4.1m kWh. The formula using 5 isn’t lying but unrealistic with mixed driving. It would explain why some people thought their cars had more range after update.

No

Some cars have had an update that now also allows unlocked slow charging as well! (mine hasn't, and I don't know if it's a free service update or anything else!)

I’ll go test slow charging now. with rapid I can have doors open, start the charge and hear the charge cable lock. One moment.

edit: my test. I opened car door so it’s ajar. Plugged car into 7kw charger, when I initiated charge the port locked and charge commenced.

Last edited:
It would be easy for the GOM formula to be updated real time, instead of being fixed in stone.

it should take your last 100 miles average, 42.5 kWh x 4.4 mkWh = range 187 on full for example. The sports mode/ hvac use wouldn’t affect estimate so much because it would be taken into consideration with your average mkWh.
Hi Folks,
A lot has been said in this short discussion which may cause confusion.
Please do not be confused.
Most of the information you need is in the manual.
Just read up on these issues yourself.
HVAC, outside Temparature, eco mode and driving style affect your GOM estimates very significantly.
It is sad when people assume things which are wrong and use it to wrongly explain things.
Please note that GOM is a forward predictive tool. It takes into consideration the current driving conditions to make an estimate on the premise that will be the distance one may travel as opposed to a WLTP cycle if the current driving conditions remain unchanged. It will therefore change as soon as any of your driving conditions change. It is not a simple binary average of your distance and efficiency as is being put across. It is more complex than that. This is why when you for example change from sport mode to eco mode there is an immediate change in range by as much as 30 to 40 miles. If it were a binary average as is being put across here, there would not be this immediate change as the GOM will have to wait until one has driven a considerable distance in that mode for it to add up into an average. This will render it's forward predictive value useless. I will not go into detail how the GOM works as it is too complex to explain in a few words.
All I will say is that ZS EV actually in field test is said to have one of the most accurate GOMs so have confidence in your GOM and used it wisely to plan your journey.
(Ps: most EV GOMs are about 90 to 96% accurate)

Last edited:

Yes I can leave the doors unlocked on rapid charging, but not on fast or slow charging

Last edited:
The GOM has changed for 2/4 users in this thread. If it was showing its WLTP range with full charge I would be happy.

The car knows your driving behaviour intimately thanks to the trip computer. It’s obvious my 216 estimate is wishful, and if we average my miles kWh hours over last 400 miles it is 4.0.

the eZS is making no forward predictions whatsoever. For me It assumes 5.0 and that is off by a LOT.

edit: @KasEV I would love you to explain the intricacies of the GOM if you can back it up with a source. I’m sorry but I don’t take anecdotal evidence as gospel.

edit2: formula seems to be 42kWh x (5) = 210 miles estimate.
+10 miles added for eco = 220.
-20 if sport is selected. = 190.
-25 miles if hvac on = 185
-45 miles sport + hvac = 165 mile estimate.
This seems black and white because GOM changes immediately when any of above are active. When your real world driving is (4) mkWh we see the comical discrepancies.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom