• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Bit of lateral thinking. There is a virtual third key in the form of the app on your phone. I'm wondering if that is causing the problem.
For example is it, or is the car, misinterpreting the binding signal from the phone as it disconnects and then and reconnects or visa versa?
Ian, this has nothing to do with app or bluetooth key in my opinion. The manual clearly states that the single button press enables anti theft locking. It would appear the car locking system is designed that way. The only way to avoid it is not to lock anyone in the car. If there are any car issues causing the locks to activate, by default, they go to deadlock hence the issues some are experiencing. Not a clever design in my opinion.

Keyless Locking
After the vehicle is stopped, all doors can be locked simply
by pressing the button on the front door handle once (no
need to press the lock button on the remote key) when
closing the doors and leaving the vehicle, and then the

vehicle will enter the anti-theft alarm state.

What it does not clearly state though is if you lock the car using the key fob instead of the button what will happen. However Les has confirmed (see next comment) this also activates the deadlock/anti-theft which reinforces the fact that this is the cars designed locking default.

Alan

Last edited:
Ian, this has nothing to do with app or bluetooth key in my opinion. The manual clearly states that the single button press enables anti theft locking. It would appear the car locking system is designed that way. The only way to avoid it is not to lock anyone in the car. If there are any car issues causing the locks to activate, by default, they go to deadlock hence the issues some are experiencing. Not a clever design in my opinion.

Keyless Locking
After the vehicle is stopped, all doors can be locked simply
by pressing the button on the front door handle once (no
need to press the lock button on the remote key) when
closing the doors and leaving the vehicle, and then the

vehicle will enter the anti-theft alarm state.

What is does not clearly state though is if you lock the car using the key fob instead of the button what will happen. I strongly expect exactly the same scenario but confirmation would be good.

Alan
Alan I sure we tried both ways with the wife car to lock me in it by using the button on the handle and using the key fob no matter which could not open the door from the inside.
Les

Alan I sure we tried both ways with the wife car to lock me in it by using the button on the handle and using the key fob no matter which could not open the door from the inside.
Les
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow. Does that mean if the car is locked either with the key fob or the button on the exterior door handle you can't open the doors from the inside?
If that is the case then if the key fob's lock button gets accidentally pressed while it's in your pocket inside the car you're stuck.
I assume if you lock the doors using the buttons on the inside of the drivers door you can still open the doors from the inside?

Ian, yes.
As for accidentally pressing the key fob at least you have the key with you so you can unlock yourself (potentially) Try it and see if it does work. Also would that scenario stop the windows opening as well and does it immobilise the car? Also worth knowing, good info. If it does not enable opening, windows etc. this could be the issue others are experiencing so have a back up plan!

As a thought anti-theft should not be designed to activate when you are on the move surely?

And yes, the inside button does not activate anti-theft so you can open as normal. It is purely the designed anti-theft locking that appears to be a rather concerning design which I do not believe MG will change as it is across more than just the MG4 I believe.

Alan

Last edited:
Nothing new unfortunately, still has the problem.
Hi, it looks like we have had exactly the same problemas you... along with others. The garage collected our MG4 SE on 8th Nov and still have it. I was pleased to hear from the garage that the issue occured with them also when checking the vehicle. The latest is that they have followed all of MG's advise and done a 'number of operations'
1. update all the software on the vehicle computers (though they admit the car already had all the latest software on it)
2. check all the door harnessess (no issues found)
They now been advised by MG technical to randomly replace the off side door lock 'as a double precaution'.
They have informed me that they are waiting for the door lock part and should have it fitted and the vehicle ready to return by mid next week.
Obviuosly I have concerns and the garage doesn't sound as confident as I would like .The car was bought for my wife and she suffers to a certain degree from claustrophobia. We need a reliable car for use with the children. We can't afford to be locked in it again with an 8 month old baby and our other young children. In addition there could be a serious serious risk to life in a medical emergency or car accident, especially if the spare key wasn't availbale or the car was hit from behind and the boot exit couldn't be used.
We had our car for less than 1 week and it had done less than 100 miles. I am wondering where I stand legally in rejecting the car.
What is your next course of action?

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow. Does that mean if the car is locked either with the key fob or the button on the exterior door handle you can't open the doors from the inside?
If that is the case then if the key fob's lock button gets accidentally pressed while it's in your pocket inside the car you're stuck.
I assume if you lock the doors using the buttons on the inside of the drivers door you can still open the doors from the inside?
Ian This issue only appears to occur when something goes a miss with the Smart key if it’s ok than you can open the door but a few earlier in this thread had been in the car something gone wrong with the locking system and they have had to get the spare key so they could mechanical open the drivers door to get them out luckily they weren’t far from home the very first one in the tread was on a test drive with the sales man when they pulled over to change drivers I think and found they could open the dam doors.
In Toms post above this it appears his dealer is working on the problem.
So the bottom line is if you are in the car and the doors are locked with out a working key you can’t open the doors or the windows or start the car up.
Les

Also would that scenario stop the windows opening as well and does it immobilise the car? Also worth knowing, good info. If it does not enable opening, windows etc.

Alan, in answer to your question above, no the widows won’t open and without the key the car is immobilised I did try to open a window but with no working key present nothing works except the alarm.
Les

To be clear...external locking, be it key fob or button, locks passengers inside with no means of escape except the emergency boot unlock if the driver goes away with the key. The windows lock and the car is immobilised as well. That is one design issue that occurs irrespective of app or phone bluetooth.

With the key present it should not be an issue if all is working correctly. ( a test would be a good idea just in case in my opinion, volunteer required) even if locking the car internally using the fob

The issue seems to be that the key batteries are fine (according to other posts) but the car gets immobilised and deadlocks for no apparent reason, or a reason that MG can't yet identify with drivers and passengers inside. In this instance you cannot rule out anything, car s/w, h/w, app or otherwise because the root cause is yet to be identified.

Alan

Last edited:
Got it in a nutshell Alan just one to add if involved in a shunt what happens then,
I do recall once a good while ago reading somewhere that car doors do unlock automatically when involved in an accident I’m sure I did.
But I don’t intend putting that to the test sorry.
Les.

In the event of an accident the auto lock (not the same as anti-theft deadlock) is designed to disengage and allow doors to be opened internally and externally.
We cannot contemplate an accident and the anti-theft engaging erroneousy at the same time. :eek: A glass breaking tool (which most also have a built in seat belt cutter) is recommended in the car for just such an unlikely but possible event.

Alan

Got it in a nutshell Alan just one to add if involved in a shunt what happens then,
I do recall once a good while ago reading somewhere that car doors do unlock automatically when involved in an accident I’m sure I did.
But I don’t intend putting that to the test sorry.
Les.
Yes they do. A few years ago, when you had to turn a piece of metal placed in a hole in the door handle, one of the reps locked his keys in his car. The AA came out, removed the front wheel and inner wheel cover and proceeded to hit the bulkhead with a hammer. The car unlocked.

It appears, that although this problem with the locking is very worrying, only 2 or possibly 3 cases have come to light unlike the oil leak and undertray problems.

Last edited:
What happens in the following scenario please?
Driver exits car leaving passenger inside (eg to pop into a shop)
Driver takes key but does not lock the car.
Does the car auto-lock after an interval and if so, would the passenger be able to leave the car?
thanks

The car does not have true proximity lock/unlock. You have to be within 1.5m and press the physical button to lock and unlock. So no auto lock feature in that scenario.

I do not know the distance limits on the key fob connectivity but if you accidentally press the key fob lock button when within limits then they are in a locked in situation.

Yet another issue which is very concerning. My car still in garage getting work done after recent screen freeze and the usual problems like oil leak. However this is much more frightening.
I do think that there is a major connection problem here which is sending electronic spikes to the computer which interupts the programming and causing these varied faults, such as Radio freeze, Screens going blank, no key present, 360 camera, etc....
After my screen froze and going through a flooded road,so all the underside was submerged, the screen and infotainment all burst back into life must indicate a bad earth connection somewhere.
Or is there a HV/Static leakage to the 12V system which is triggering these problems. Hence going through the flood did it discharge all that energy to earth and hence return normal voltages and milliamp signals to computer?
Who knows but I do know MG need to do some serious testing on these cars and find the culprit ASAP.
When I pick up my car I will be asking about my rights for rejection and returning the car.
This getting locked in the car would be the last straw for me.

Yet another issue which is very concerning. My car still in garage getting work done after recent screen freeze and the usual problems like oil leak. However this is much more frightening.
I do think that there is a major connection problem here which is sending electronic spikes to the computer which interupts the programming and causing these varied faults, such as Radio freeze, Screens going blank, no key present, 360 camera, etc....
After my screen froze and going through a flooded road,so all the underside was submerged, the screen and infotainment all burst back into life must indicate a bad earth connection somewhere.
Or is there a HV/Static leakage to the 12V system which is triggering these problems. Hence going through the flood did it discharge all that energy to earth and hence return normal voltages and milliamp signals to computer?
Who knows but I do know MG need to do some serious testing on these cars and find the culprit ASAP.
When I pick up my car I will be asking about my rights for rejection and returning the car.
This getting locked in the car would be the last straw for me.
It could be that these kinds of problems with no key detected and the other issues are indeed all caused by a faulty earth or other electrical issue. If your garage can fix it, please get the exact details of the fix from them in case others have the exact same cause.

Has anyone with this locked in problem tried their App to unlock?
I strongly suspect that if the working key fob and internal handles don't work when the fault occurs the app unlock will make no difference as it uses the same circuitry but until tested🤷‍♂️
In the case of locking passengers in unless one has the app then sorry still stuck.

Last edited:
This, to me, is a more serious issue than any other on this forum. Deadlock (anti theft) should not be a standard lock feature for obvious safety reasons. It should be designed to be a deliberate action (with double button press for example) allowing normal locking with internal opening option as the standard
Imagine, during warmer/ freezing weather, you lock someone in for a quick nip into the shops and something happens to you. As you state any physical limitations, never mind a passenger knowing how to do it, render the emergency boot exit a non option. Do you need to keep an emergency glass breaking tool in the car? Safety instructions as per aircraft...in the event of an emergency.

This is unacceptable and must be resolved as a matter of urgency in my opinion or it will become a press issue.

Alan
If you lock the doors of any MG using the remote key, Passive lock button or manual key when the vehicle is shut off it will superlock (deadlock) the vehicle. This will disable the internal door handles. Its quite a common feature on cars and has been for a number of years. It’s actually part of the Thatcham requirements for certain insurance groups.

Obviously, if the vehicle is powered off then windows will not operate.

If there is a key inside the vehicle it will disable it (again, part of Thatcham requirements)

Thanks Miles. So there is no way to soft lock the car to enable occupants to exit the car according to your answer. Leaving the car unlocked is the only way they can exit safely. I still believe this should be an option but hey, it is what it is.

Alan

So I have just got back from a trip to the dealers who for some reason are closed today, I thought it was very strange that no one was answering the phone which I did try before I went, but came home thinking I will go tomorrow but I have just come on here and read what miles has posted today.
So from now on if I’m leaving anyone in the car in future I will be leaving the keys with them.
My mother 95 who passed a couple of years ago always would say to me please make sure the doors are locked if I was leaving her in the car for a short while and my wife at night time if we stop to go into the shop or a take away place will aways say lock the doors but not now we know this she can keep the keys and lock it and I hope she doesn’t set the alarm off while she sat there waiting.

But this does not explain why the cars that have had an issue, had the issue in the first place when the keys where already in the car !
That part is still worrying to me and I will be very interested to see what Toms dealer finds with his car.
Les

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel