Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Thank you for letting us know what’s going on in regards to this serious issue. Let’s hope this is a permanent fix for everyone’s car.
I totally agree, my wife won’t get in the car now as she suffers panic attacks and simply won’t risk it,
however much I like the car I think it might have to go.

I’m happy with the response my dealer has taken and mg for letting dvsa know of the issue shows they care and taking it seriously hoping what they do will resolve this issue as I love the car
I also think MG do care and they seem to be ready to try and sort out the problems in a relatively short time. The aggravation is because they are not forthcoming in admitting there is a problem and that they are working on it. It is also not helped by some dealers not being pro-active either through lack of training or having a "so what" attitude and only interested until they get paid.

I also think MG do care and they seem to be ready to try and sort out the problems in a relatively short time. The aggravation is because they are not forthcoming in admitting there is a problem and that they are working on it. It is also not helped by some dealers not being pro-active either through lack of training or having a "so what" attitude and only interested until they get paid.
Probably, although I have lost a bit of faith in the brand.

I’m happy with the response my dealer has taken and mg for letting dvsa know of the issue shows they care and taking it seriously hoping what they do will resolve this issue as I love the car
I think there are some issues that they just can't ignore and it's good that they haven't, I also think they have to be proactive in their reporting. I don't think they want or need the bad press of people being locked in their cars because of a fault.
Software glitches, the gap in the tray and to a lesser extent the oil leak aren't really that majorly negative for the brand. As I said people being locked in are and could do a lot of damage if not seen to be treated seriously

Did anyone else see this post on twitter yesterday?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210_211040_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221210_211040_Chrome.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 74
If they know its s/w as stated below even a holding communication would be helpful

Dealership had my car since last Monday they say the issue is a software issue with the control unit they are working on said software and have installed this I believe on Friday.I am awaiting further updates from dealer as to what they have done/when I will get my vehicle back.I was told there will be a recall for this issue in future if this software/fix works

If they know its s/w as stated below even a holding communication would be helpful

Dealership had my car since last Monday they say the issue is a software issue with the control unit they are working on said software and have installed this I believe on Friday.I am awaiting further updates from dealer as to what they have done/when I will get my vehicle back.I was told there will be a recall for this issue in future if this software/fix works
I'm really hoping that this software patch is installed as one of the eight software updates my car has had to apparently have. I'm adding an additional check to the dealer checklist before accepting the car for sure!

It is encouraging to hear that MG are working on a software patch to fix this issue and I would hope that all cars will be recalled to have this applied when ready, and we might hope that all other software patches would be applied at the same time.

In terms of risk assessment, I suspect the likelihood of this occurring is pretty low, but the consequences could be severe if occupants couldn't exit in an emergency situation.

Let's hope it doesn't happen, but the reputation of MG could be irreparably damaged if a significant incident did occur before this was fixed. Failure to notify owners when MG are aware of a potentially serious fault could be deemed criminal.

It is encouraging to hear that MG are working on a software patch to fix this issue and I would hope that all cars will be recalled to have this applied when ready, and we might hope that all other software patches would be applied at the same time.

In terms of risk assessment, I suspect the likelihood of this occurring is pretty low, but the consequences could be severe if occupants couldn't exit in an emergency situation.

Let's hope it doesn't happen, but the reputation of MG could be irreparably damaged if a significant incident did occur before this was fixed. Failure to notify owners when MG are aware of a potentially serious fault could be deemed criminal.
I know they are taking it serious because anyone would. It is a serious issue but they are handling the PR all wrong. It will and in fact has done some damage as many have cancelled orders not just because of the prison cell car issue but others. As for me this was the one that proved to be the final straw. However everyone loves an underdog, the general perception I've gotten is that apart from badge snobs and some short sighted anti-china warriors everyone would seriously consider the MG4. So in terms or irreparable long term damage, I don't think there will be. Short term and to the success of MG4 itself yes, but once the AWD comes out and some newer brands, all they have to say it it was a learning curve as the first on their MSP....... Bla Bla Bla. They'll be fine.

As I believe someone has already pointed out, and I can't remember whether it was in this thread or another, we have to bear in mind that when trading with China, we are dealing with a totally different culture.
In China, it is seen as demeaning to have to admit to a mistake, but it is honourable to put right any problem quietly and without fuss or admission of failure.
I think this is at the heart of the perceived arrogant and uncommunicative way that MG work, and I for one am willing to give them the lee-way to solve problems as they occur.
That doesn't mean I'm going to forgive them for delays and errors though!!

As I believe someone has already pointed out, and I can't remember whether it was in this thread or another, we have to bear in mind that when trading with China, we are dealing with a totally different culture.
In China, it is seen as demeaning to have to admit to a mistake, but it is honourable to put right any problem quietly and without fuss or admission of failure.
I think this is at the heart of the perceived arrogant and uncommunicative way that MG work, and I for one am willing to give them the lee-way to solve problems as they occur.
Agree with the Chinese culture stance , however MG UK should be applying a bit of European customer service etiquette and telling customers what is happening. They need this car to be a success so that the brand can go on increasing market share. Their handling of all the issues so far has been not good enough!

Agree with the Chinese culture stance , however MG UK should be applying a bit of European customer service etiquette and telling customers what is happening. They need this car to be a success so that the brand can go on increasing market share. Their handling of all the issues so far has been not good enough!
Yes, I think you're right. There seems to be a definite lack of customer awareness being shown by MGUK and their dealer network (with one or two exceptions that we can be grateful for).

So in terms or irreparable long term damage, I don't think there will be.
If the issues such as key problems are just an inconvenience you are no doubt correct. If a car were to break down on a motorway, the occupants were unable to exit the vehicle and it gets shunted by a HGV leading to fatalities the repercussions would be greater and sales would be lost for a generation.

The other point rarely made is the cultural characteristic of the Chinese in business to not acknowledge faults or errors publicly but to appear to ignore them. They are very proud and prefer not to acknowledge the issue but instead work very hard behind the scenes to rectify it. To Western standards this appears uncaring - they actually care very deeply but don't show it in the same way particularly as the current touchy feely woke Western culture.

Not good, MG need to make a formal statement regarding this serious issue.

It's not going to happen - nothing to see here.

This is being handled to the same playbook as the oil leak - denial, silence, rectification only made grudgingly to those who kick off.

my wife won’t get in the car now as she suffers panic attacks and simply won’t risk it,
however much I like the car I think it might have to go.

I've decided against coming back to an MG4 so have sought out a series 1 MG5 LR instead.

Good luck to all of you with yours - it's a potentially excellent car apart from it's lack of efficiency and these problems that I hope are just teething issues on a new platform and ecsasberated by the NCAP/Thatcham requirements.

"but it is honourable to put right any problem quietly and without fuss or admission of failure."
Fine sentiments, but seems to need a lot of fuss required to get them to fit the breather mod, and nothing else seems to have been put right yet - quietly or not.

If the issues such as key problems are just an inconvenience you are no doubt correct. If a car were to break down on a motorway, the occupants were unable to exit the vehicle and it gets shunted by a HGV leading to fatalities the repercussions would be greater and sales would be lost for a generation.
You make a compelling argument but I doubt there will be generational losses to MG that will be as a result of any dramatic public reactions to such. It's no doubt going to be headline news when it occurs, just like with Tesla where there have been 19 fatalities due to JUST the AUTOPILOT failure and its a more expensive car, but still the most popular and sought after EV worldwide.

Sure there will be people like me who won't go near it if that issue exists but I doubt people like me doing that will be viewed as generational losses.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back