Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Pages 248, 249 owner's manual

View attachment 14225
thanks - much appreciated I would never have got that - even more so because the information was in the manual :)

I worked in computing for 40+ years where no one ever read the manuals, unless there was a nuclear meltdown or some other catastrophe, perhaps like being locked in your car :)

thanks - much appreciated I would never have got that - even more so because the information was in the manual :)

I worked in computing for 40+ years where no one ever read the manuals, unless there was a nuclear meltdown or some other catastrophe, perhaps like being locked in your car :)
I'm one of those wierdo's who likes reading instruction manuals.

Thanks to Sloucher happiness is going to be sat in my MG4, when I get it, with a coffee or two and the owner's manual and going through it.

If at first you don't succeed, RTFM. :)

Just seen a post tonight on a Facebook MG4 group that a 75 year old couple with artificial hips got locked in their 2 month old MG4. Luckily they managed to get out of the boot with help, but surely and sadly it is only a matter of time before this causes a real problem for someone.
And yet no recall (official or locally organised by dealers) to get the update

Just to add I think it's very much dealer specific unfortunately, I agree MG should be forcing their hand at this with an official re-call.

I was aware of this but luckily haven't had a problem, dealer proactively called and got me booked in for this before Xmas, I had it done on the 3rd Jan, I've also had the AA message finally disappear as they updated my trophy headunit to R30 too.

Just to add I think it's very much dealer specific unfortunately, I agree MG should be forcing their hand at this with an official re-call.

I was aware of this but luckily haven't had a problem, dealer proactively called and got me booked in for this before Xmas, I had it done on the 3rd Jan, I've also had the AA message finally disappear as they updated my trophy headunit to R30 too.
Sounds like your dealer is a good egg! Care to name and fame them?

Another case of this reported on Facebook, someone has replied to say a recall is to start to be communicated tomorrow. That would be a positive step, though we shall wait and see to be sure.
EDIT some extra info, in response to me asking where they heard about the recall to be communicated. They are a dealer (Sam Luscombe, referenced in a few threads on here) and recieved the recall details last night.

Last edited:
Yes, there a little further than the dealer I purchased from but their service plan was much much cheaper & I've used them in the past & always had good service, Vic young South Shields 😃
Thats where I bought my Trophy from and Vic Youngs are very pro-active to sort things out. I had the door lock update done before Xmas.

Another case of this reported on Facebook, someone has replied to say a recall is to start to be communicated tomorrow. That would be a positive step, though we shall wait and see to be sure.
EDIT some extra info, in response to me asking where they heard about the recall to be communicated. They are a dealer (Sam Luscombe, referenced in a few threads on here) and recieved the recall details last night.
About time if true

This has just happened to me twice in an hour. Picked the car up on Friday. I had to climb out of the boot, I'm now waiting on recovery. Glad I was on my own and not with the wife and kids.

This has just happened to me twice in an hour. Picked the car up on Friday. I had to climb out of the boot, I'm now waiting on recovery. Glad I was on my own and not with the wife and kids.
Sorry to hear this, that's really poor service from your dealer and I assume the update that should have been applied prior to collection clearly hasn't.

Did the dealer mention the update, regarding this issue to you? Quite clearly should have been done prior to handover.

When did you get your car?

Is this happening to ALL MG4’s or just the Trophy?

I was supposed to collect my MG4 SE this morning but my dealer said he is still awaiting SW updates I think the door is one of them.I don’t think MG respond to any requests over the weekend. So hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

I was supposed to collect my MG4 SE this morning but my dealer said he is still awaiting SW updates I think the door is one of them.I don’t think MG respond to any requests over the weekend. So hopefully Monday or Tuesday.
I can't understand how a dealer can say that they are awaiting updates. I collected my car on the 19th December and it had all the recent updates, including the door locking update, installed. If my dealer had the update available to install why the £$%^ haven't all of them?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back