Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

I can't understand how a dealer can say that they are awaiting updates. I collected my car on the 19th December and it had all the recent updates, including the door locking update, installed. If my dealer had the update available to install why the £$%^ haven't all of them?
My MG4 arrived last Thursday 5th Jan -after being at docks, holding area or whatever since mid November. I would imagine MG is not pushing them all out fast enough and they are not as proactive as some dealers.With all fairness to my dealer he has been consistently contacting me with any movements and I don’t think he would let me have it unless he was sure it was completely up to date.

This may have been asked already, but does it help to have the 'digital key' set up on the ismart phone app if you have a Trophy model?

For example if the normal key is no longer recognised or the battery dies, will you be able to use the digital key to unlock?

This may have been asked already, but does it help to have the 'digital key' set up on the ismart phone app if you have a Trophy model?

For example if the normal key is no longer recognised or the battery dies, will you be able to use the digital key to unlock?
No this doesn't work in this situation.

Here is a summary of what is understood to be the situation if you are locked in

Last edited:

The answer to being locked in before the software patch can be to lift your weight off the driver seat. Lock with the fob and unlock. It seems the key’s buttons are ignored if it thinks there’s someone sat in the driver’s seat.

I can't understand how a dealer can say that they are awaiting updates. I collected my car on the 19th December and it had all the recent updates, including the door locking update, installed. If my dealer had the update available to install why the £$%^ haven't all of them?
You are of course assuming your dealer is being totally honest about installing all the updates. Not saying they haven't but some people have had problems after their dealer has assured them everything has been sorted and updated.

The answer to being locked in before the software patch can be to lift your weight off the driver seat. Lock with the fob and unlock. It seems the key’s buttons are ignored if it thinks there’s someone sat in the driver’s seat.
Yes I saw this mentioned earlier but not had it confirmed , does this definitely work ?

Yes I saw this mentioned earlier but not had it confirmed , does this definitely work ?

I can’t confirm for certain. I saw two people say it worked for them, but as the system is already intermittently malfunctioning who knows if it’ll behave? There’s a logic to the buttons being ignored if you’re sat in the car though, since the buttons activate the deadlock and you never want that when you’re sat inside.

The true fix is the software patch of course. Supposedly mine had a software update the morning I picked it up on 22nd Dec. Nothing to be lost in trying this if someone knows about it before getting locked in.

Just seen a post on a Face group regarding recall letters.

Attachments

• 824FD483-5DAB-4000-9AE3-6250FB9690D0.png
    824FD483-5DAB-4000-9AE3-6250FB9690D0.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 211
I've not received such a letter yet. (Although my car is booked in for next week anyway).

I'm surprised that Graham hasn't masked personal details before posting that - most notably the VIN.

No letter for me either today. Do we know if this issue just effects SE's, as it looks to me like the people saying they've had it are all SE owners (mine is a Trophy version).

Mine's an SE ... I think the issue has affected both model types. (I haven't been affected by this - yet).

I'm surprised this is by letter though, considering the seriousness of the issue. On Saturday we received some Christmas cards which were posted at least 3 weeks ago, so the postal service is still catching up after the strikes! Surely the dealers could go down their sold list and telephone around.

Seems to be coming direct from MG, they would need to get the numbers from all the dealers

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back