Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Update - I've phoned my dealer, they have heard of the software recall, they haven't updated a car for this yet so they don't know how long it would take, they would do it while I waited but only if I'm able to bring it in at 8.30 am one morning (which I'm not), failing that they could offer a courtesy car but at a cost of £12 to cover insurance, which they said they can't waive. I'm thinking about what to do. There is a closer MG garage to me than the one I bought the car from. Not happy :mad:

Got my recall letter today - same as everyone else's. (As previously said, my car is getting sorted next week).

I don't think even MG have an idea what their computer will say

Ah, it’s based on the car colour, if there’s an ‘R” in the Month and if Betty in admin is on leave (she’s part-time).

Mine said a big fat No
Interesting - when I first took my car in for a number of s/w related issues .. the garage couldn't run any diagnostics as it wasn't recognised !! Odd given PDI is meant to check for any updates and apply them. Apparently my car was not registered on the 'all knowing DB' and hence it got the "No can do" response. It is going in again next week to get all the required/necessary s/w updates made now that it should be recognisable, but it does make me question the quality of some of these PDIs (mine has the under tray bulge that was not reported to MG too).

Interesting - when I first took my car in for a number of s/w related issues .. the garage couldn't run any diagnostics as it wasn't recognised !! Odd given PDI is meant to check for any updates and apply them. Apparently my car was not registered on the 'all knowing DB' and hence it got the "No can do" response. It is going in again next week to get all the required/necessary s/w updates made now that it should be recognisable, but it does make me question the quality of some of these PDIs (mine has the under tray bulge that was not reported to MG too).
Diagnostics ran fine, just said no sw update available.

Just received my recall letter today, from the same person, Martin Seaton. Called MG only to be told that 'there is no outstanding recall on the vehicle', so had to tell him I was looking at the letter from MG Motor UK, right in front of me, to which I was told they would 'call me back'. Sounds like this is going to be fun.
I’ve just had this as well but was told by my local MG dealership to phone my original supplier which I did and they informed me that the update/patch was done (by them) a couple of days before I bought the car. So it appears to be correct that I don’t need the recall. Apparently MG does not know which cars have had the patch and which haven’t so are sending the letters out to everyone!

I've just received my letter! Mines a SE SR from 1st batch fwiw. Not had the problem. Slightly worried any update will create problems now but will call dealer in next day or so. Like others my main question is how quick it can be done and if not very quick I'll want a car off them in meantime. Dealer is 30 minutes from me so not a lunchtime pop out and back scenario really
Think my wife’s SR is the same from the first batch and this issue of being locked in as not been an issue fingers crossed.
But It appears once again that on some cars SW updates can’t be done for one reason or another the problems we have so far are,

Large Bulge in the undertray reported on collection and have heard nothing about repair or replacement yet.

The LKA unusable down right dangerous to do so lmho.
MG Pilot also sometimes has a mind of its own and brakes quite hard when there is no need to.

CarPlay hit and miss and drops out at times
Annoying.

Range is nothing near as expected ( whether I know ) or maybe something else just maybe roll on spring.

No oil leaks as far as I know but haven’t looked for a few weeks now.

Does now need some paint due to some idiot with a shopping trolley in the supermarket car park Taking it down to bare metal and placing a dent as well in the near side door it as proper upset the wife and me for sure that as.
Les
9E4C7D0F-AC09-43CD-B908-52977E5606CF.jpeg195F445D-B352-488E-B611-F0A949A7426B.jpeg

I take back my scepticism about a career on stage. There’s definitely signs it could be the way to go…
I know a young magician whose looking for a volunteer for his sawing a person into 2 trick I’m sure he would be very please to have you on stage Cocijo
Les

Think my wife’s SR is the same from the first batch and this issue of being locked in as not been an issue fingers crossed.
But It appears once again that on some cars SW updates can’t be done for one reason or another the problems we have so far are,

Large Bulge in the undertray reported on collection and have heard nothing about repair or replacement yet.

The LKA unusable down right dangerous to do so lmho.
MG Pilot also sometimes has a mind of its own and brakes quite hard when there is no need to.

CarPlay hit and miss and drops out at times
Annoying.

Range is nothing near as expected ( whether I know ) or maybe something else just maybe roll on spring.

No oil leaks as far as I know but haven’t looked for a few weeks now.

Does now need some paint due to some idiot with a shopping trolley in the supermarket car park Taking it down to bare metal and placing a dent as well in the near side door it as proper upset the wife and me for sure that as.
Les
View attachment 14387View attachment 14388
That’s a real shame about the damage. Can you get some touch up on it for now?

Yeh intended to go around a couple of body places today be fire I put anything on it but it never stopped raining here since it got done on Saturday afternoon maybe tomorrow
Les

Don’t know how up to date the government website is for MOT/TAX checks on your car, but there is a section at the bottom of the page for
“Outstanding vehicle recalls”
you may find some info there.
should be picking up my MG4 SE SR tomorrow so 🤞its Already been done.

Update - I've phoned my dealer, they have heard of the software recall, they haven't updated a car for this yet so they don't know how long it would take, they would do it while I waited but only if I'm able to bring it in at 8.30 am one morning (which I'm not), failing that they could offer a courtesy car but at a cost of £12 to cover insurance, which they said they can't waive. I'm thinking about what to do. There is a closer MG garage to me than the one I bought the car from. Not happy :mad:

My dealer tried the £12 con. Allows them to make back some of the cost of doing the job. I told them where to go and the poor girl on the other end gave in. Out of principle I wouldn't pay them a penny for fixing a problem inherent in a car. My dealer won't do it on a Saturday because they'll need more than half a day.

Yeh intended to go around a couple of body places today be fire I put anything on it but it never stopped raining here since it got done on Saturday afternoon maybe tomorrow
Les
I know that it’s a long shot, but some supermarkets have car park cameras. It’s worth asking them just in case. It‘s hard to see fully from the pics what’s needed to put I right. It’s a real bummer 😡

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back