I thought I'd better check my bicycle as I was struggling slightly last time I was out on it. Both tyres were down at 20 psi. Now back at 50 psi, that's better!

To be fair, the MG4 is a lot better than my Golf. That would ping because the temperature changed but I had no way to tell which tyre it was or how soft it was. I had to get them checked every time (sometimes there actually was a slow puncture) and the garage had to reset the sensor otherwise it would never reset.

And the one time I really did have a catastrophic puncture, it didn't trigger.

Now that I have a readout to check I rarely need to do the tyre pressures. These Chinese tyres seem to hold pressure very well. At this time of year rising temperatures balances any losses. In autumn I'll need to pump them up once or twice.
I guess most people in the UK won't be having problems with Tyre Pressures at the moment, because the weather is getting warmer. Here in Launceston*, the temperatures have been falling and will continue to fall for the next couple of months

*Launceston Tasmania, not Launceston Cornwall

To be fair, the MG4 is a lot better than my Golf. That would ping because the temperature changed but I had no way to tell which tyre it was or how soft it was. I had to get them checked every time (sometimes there actually was a slow puncture) and the garage had to reset the sensor otherwise it would never reset.
Before going EV, I had a 2016 VW Up! that did the same.
Luckily for me, the warning light was on the TPMS reset button. I just had to hold that down for 10s after topping up the tyres.

And the one time I really did have a catastrophic puncture, it didn't trigger.
Ah yes, the famous VW "something might be wrong with one of your tyres". I am pleased I no longer have that.

I set 2.8 front and 2.9 rear at 12 degrees Celsius in the afternoon. Given that it is only going to drop to about -4 degrees in the middle of Winter here, shouldn't see any warning alarms for quite a while. Feels happier on the road with a little more pressure, and ride is still not harsh

Moral of the story, put the pressures up as soon as it starts alarming, or preferably before it starts alarming

I've also worked out why the rears alarm first. Given this is a rear wheel drive car, the rear tyres are likely to be running at a higher pressure during normal driving, so alarming at a slightly higher pressure for the rear does make sense

I set 2.8 front and 2.9 rear at 12 degrees Celsius in the afternoon. Given that it is only going to drop to about -4 degrees in the middle of Winter here, shouldn't see any warning alarms for quite a while. Feels happier on the road with a little more pressure, and ride is still not harsh

Moral of the story, put the pressures up as soon as it starts alarming, or preferably before it starts alarming

I've also worked out why the rears alarm first. Given this is a rear wheel drive car, the rear tyres are likely to be running at a higher pressure during normal driving, so alarming at a slightly higher pressure for the rear does make sense
I did the same rear a bit higher and no problem, I had a Skoda that was really bad on tyre warning ⚠️.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back