MG email update - Towbar & PreHeat (Cable attached)

JuziWomble

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
"The MG4 has the capacity to tow but MG UK did/do not have plans to sell the tow bar in the UK as an accessory.
Further testing is being completed imminently on the MG4 towbars to ensure that they meet with UK testing regulations.
Once completed and successful, MG UK have plans to allow dealerships to place a ‘special request’ for the tow bar, which will come from MG EU.
Therefore, you won’t see the towbar listed on the website under accessories for the MG4.

Regarding pre heating…
There is a software update for the EVCC controller that allows the car to preheat when connected, but not charging. There are no current plans to allow preheating while the vehicle is connected and charging.

When pre-heating, the car will always use the main battery for power.
If the car is connected to a charger and the State Of Charge falls below 100% during pre-heating, then the car will automatically start charging again and pre heating will halt."

This was based on my question re Aftermarket products (roof racks & tow bars the latter MG approved re the 4 the former not yet ) and what we can buy for the MG 4 c/o MG - So if you want an MG 'approved' tow bar - then unless its a pre-agreed (MG/Dealership) All-in-one Price - its obviously going to be at the discretion of the dealerships to charge what they want; for the installation ?!

Not sure re the Pre-Heat aspect - To me I'm sure the Leaf used to pre-heat off the Mains and not impact the 'range' I mean - if its freezing and your about to drive you want surely the max charge you can have ?! Not impacted by a pre-heat taking you back below (we all know heating via electric & with No Heat Pump don't forget will impact the battery range) - Only for it to be stopped pre-heating to 'top back up' if it drops below 100% - So If your on a granny lead like me - That will take 'ages.....' and the car is likely to be cold 'once again' - Or am wrong ??

I think some people have had the EVCC update and confirm that preheating/cooling can now be done at any time - including whilst charging (which that email says shouldn't happen).
Are they Trophy or SE owners? The software provision is diverging & written by different teams.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back