Btw - On what basis did MG say corroded connector?
You’ve probably tried this but if not worth a go -
disconnect your 12v battery (negative lead) and reconnect - see if this works.

Given the symptoms surly it has to be an earthing fault on the home electrics then ?.
I know you have had you electrics checked before, could this possibly be a main earthing fault on the incomer somehow ?.
We need to call on our the help from our DNO expert on this question.
Can you please comment on this one please @Ayoull (y) .

Given the symptoms surly it has to be an earthing fault on the home electrics then ?.
I know you have had you electrics checked before, could this possibly be a main earthing fault on the incomer somehow ?.
We need to call on our the help from our DNO expert on this question.
Can you please comment on this one please @Ayoull (y) .
Looking at the symptoms, my first port of call would be get any EV to hookup and see if it charges.

There's possibly the following going on:

• an issue with the Wallbox charger
  • an earthing issue but not sure how sensitive to earthing issues MGs are I know ZOEs were known to be picky about earthing quality.
  • voltage issues, just because someone at one point in time measured 240v means nothing as it fluctuates every second of every day based on demand and local generation.

Here's a snapshot of my houses voltage over a 24hr period on the 3rd of Jan, peak was 243v bottom was 221v.

Screenshot_20230103-102711.png

Looking at the symptoms, my first port of call would be get any EV to hookup and see if it charges.

There's possibly the following going on:

• an issue with the Wallbox charger
  • an earthing issue but not sure how sensitive to earthing issues MGs are I know ZOEs were known to be picky about earthing quality.
  • voltage issues, just because someone at one point in time measured 240v means nothing as it fluctuates every second of every day based on demand and local generation.

Here's a snapshot of my houses voltage over a 24hr period on the 3rd of Jan, peak was 243v bottom was 221v.

View attachment 14510
Brilliant advice thanks !.
What would be YOUR course of action in this situation and what people would you use in this situation ?.
Who for what actions really ?.
Really odd that NOTHING will provide a charge, even the good old faithful "Granny" from a 13 Amp house hold socket outlet, but works from next doors supply ??.
Not looped supply by any chance - no surely not ?????

Brilliant advice thanks !.
What would be YOUR course of action in this situation and what people would you use in this situation ?.
Who for what actions really ?.
Really odd that NOTHING will provide a charge, even the good old faithful "Granny" from a 13 Amp house hold socket outlet, but works from next doors supply ??.
Not looped supply by any chance - no surely not ?????
Didn't pick up on that about granny not working, so could definitely be an earthing issue.

If the house is TN-C-S (PME) I can't see there being an earthing issue if they're getting circa 240v in the house as the earth and neutral are the same conductor.

If the house is TN-C-S (SNE) the PILC or Al Waveform (depending on cable) serving could have broken down and lost the earth.

If the house is TT (electrode) it could be it's too poor for the EVSE to use but sufficient for the house to be safe.

Essentially they need an electrician to confirm what the earthing arrangement is and if it's TN-S or TN-C-S and the loop reading is greater than 0.8ohms for TN-S and 0.4ohms for TN-C-S (I know it regs state 0.35 for TN-C-S but unfortunately IET can't dictate to DNO 😂) get the DNO to attend.

If it's TT they need the earthing upgrading toa more substantial electrode arrangement or pay for the property to be provided with a PME connection if available.

Last edited:
Didn't pick up on that about granny not working, so could definitely be an earthing issue.

If the house is TN-C-S (PME) I can't see there being an earthing issue of they're getting circa 240v in the house as the earth and neutral are the same conductor.

If the house is TN-C-S (SNE) the PILC or Al Waveform (depending on cable) serving could have broken down and lost the earth.

If the house is TT (electrode) it could be it's too poor for the EVSE to use but sufficient for the house to be safe.

Essentially they need an electrician to confirm what the earthing arrangement is and if it's TN-S or TN-C-S and the loop reading is greater than 0.8ohms for TN-S and 0.4ohms for TN-C-S (I know it regs state 0.35 for TN-C-S but unfortunately IET can't dictate to DNO 😂)
Did you get all of that @stevemac1980

I'll try and reply to all here...

We're in Chelmsford, CM1 outskirts near Writtle.

We're on a PME setup (when UKPN changed our fuse from 60 - 80amp they labelled everything for us).

We have an EASEE One charger which was a replacement for another unit (not Easee) which did exactly the same thing but the 3 pin worked fine.

The charger works and charges up other electric cars without issue. We had the consumer unit (the charger has its own unit) checked whilst we were trying to charge the car up and no issues were found. We also had the normal household electrics tested at the same time which again, had no issue.

It used to work with no issues then all of a sudden the wall charger stopped charging the more recently the 3 pin stopped as well.

We've tested our own cables and also those of other people's with the same result, it doesn't work at our house but works everywhere else using our own cables and those of others, next door, where the 3 pin works is on the same phase as we are.

It's literally like the car and the house have had a disagreement and no longer like each other.

Some screenshots from today

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115_202716_One UI Home.png
    Screenshot_20230115_202716_One UI Home.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20230115_191530.png
    Screenshot_20230115_191530.png
    538.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20230115_132800.png
    Screenshot_20230115_132800.png
    741.8 KB · Views: 57
I'll try and reply to all here...

We're in Chelmsford, CM1 outskirts near Writtle.

We're on a PME setup (when UKPN changed our fuse from 60 - 80amp they labelled everything for us).

We have an EASEE One charger which was a replacement for another unit (not Easee) which did exactly the same thing but the 3 pin worked fine.

The charger works and charges up other electric cars without issue. We had the consumer unit (the charger has its own unit) checked whilst we were trying to charge the car up and no issues were found. We also had the normal household electrics tested at the same time which again, had no issue.

It used to work with no issues then all of a sudden the wall charger stopped charging the more recently the 3 pin stopped as well.

We've tested our own cables and also those of other people's with the same result, it doesn't work at our house but works everywhere else using our own cables and those of others, next door, where the 3 pin works is on the same phase as we are.

It's literally like the car and the house have had a disagreement and no longer like each other.
I'm just up the A12 near Witham, if you want another MG to test the charger with.

Could you have mist ethernet repeater when you switched off?
Tried that already

I'm just up the A12 near Witham, if you want another MG to test the charger with.
If you're passing this way then more than welcome. I work from home so around Monday to Thursday this week

I took this video of the charger and what it does (I've sped it up, that's not normal speed!!)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom