• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Dashcam Hardwire.

stumgev56

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Adding a dashcam using hardwire kit, this can be a little unsuring to those without some auto electric knowledge, so if in doubt seek someone to do it for you.

The fuse box required is underneath the glove box, it is not covered so make sure there is no power switched on.
Fuse 15 is a 15 amp for power socket and your find it third row down on first row near back of glove box area.

The fuses are micro one so the piggy back is used with a 2 amp in the first socket and the 15 amp in second socket.

Feed the cable from centre of windscreen position and gently follow down and around pillar, do not use any force or tools into this area as there are airbags, your need to gently pull off the door rubber and use the channel to take wire down the door.

Side panel comes off with a movement using plastic car removing tools take it off and feed wire into the fuse box.

Connect to the grounding point near to fuse box and connect up to power to finish.

Place all rubber trim back as you found it.

The dash cam is now fitted and only comes on with power socket is working.
nextbase if set will run on for 5 mins from internal battery.
EE2BE5CE-4651-4930-A547-92AD1425B888.jpeg
1143A2BA-9A77-4425-8EF7-1C98EC7F1722.jpeg
648C58A5-1378-448E-BFAD-72094C631133.jpeg
102C45A2-DE62-41B3-A7E9-D454B8388573.jpeg
17E00BC6-B2F1-4FB2-98BE-79DC19B96107.jpeg
B21CFEBC-2E2C-4745-BE25-803BACB3DBC0.jpeg
0331A4A8-AF37-481B-AF59-7A4E12ABD571.jpeg

Excellent - Thanks for the very detailed information and pictures.

I thought the idea of a hardwire kit was to have it permanently ON so as to use as a parking monitor. I have just plugged mine into a usb socket (albeit via the power socket) which achieves the same result - only On with the 'ignition'.

The 12 volt is ok, but I use that for charging two phones, and my dash cam turns on via internal battery with any vibration.

Nice, but would realy like it if MG would make it possible to store the camera footage that is used for detecting traffic signs and speed limits on the road. It is there smack center behind the window above the rear view mirror... unfortunatly.. no way to use it.

Would love to seen an update of that. personally i could go without the traffic signs signalling and warnings. But not goning to replace it during my warranty period.

Anyone know of a Permanent Live in the Passenger Side Fuse Box?
My Dashcam battery died and is not replaceable (hard to get right size battery) so would prefer a permanent live to keep the camera running. Was fine on my old bmw so doubt it'll be a problem as car is used daily.

Anyone know how to have the movies play when the car is moving? I had a cartoon it on for my son the other day when we were parked and it was great and would have been great to keep it playing on the way home 😀.
Im sure it must be a signal wire when it goes in to D.

My Dashcam battery died and is not replaceable (hard to get right size battery) so would prefer a permanent live to keep the camera running. Was fine on my old bmw so doubt it'll be a problem as car is used daily.
The car seat fuse is live as the seat will always move even if the car is off.

Anyone know how to have the movies play when the car is moving? I had a cartoon it on for my son the other day when we were parked and it was great and would have been great to keep it playing on the way home 😀.
No sorry I doubt it as it will be a safety feature.

IIRC, it's a illegal in the UK.
Best bet would be to buy your son a player.

IIRC, it's a illegal in the UK.
Best bet would be to buy your son a player.
Only illegal if it distracts the driver, as range rovers and other high end cars can have a filter so from the drivers point of view they only see the navigation or menu.
Unfortunately the MG does not do this so would be illegal for you to have.

Any reason not to use a power bank
The reason my dashcam failed is because it's built in battery swole and started getting hot. I had considered using a battery bank but due to potential fire from the battery bank failing I decided against it (as it's something to be left and forgotten about).
Also price of a battery bank compared to wiring in direct to a permanent live is a no contest.

The reason my dashcam failed is because it's built in battery swole and started getting hot. I had considered using a battery bank but due to potential fire from the battery bank failing I decided against it (as it's something to be left and forgotten about).
Also price of a battery bank compared to wiring in direct to a permanent live is a no contest.

Can you remove the internal battery as it would still get hot if permanently wired in

Can you remove the internal battery as it would still get hot if permanently wired in
I have. it was nearly popping the casing off. Tried putting all the numbers in to get a like for like but couldn't find any. I also considered trying to mod it with a small super capacitor but couldn't find one suitable.

Adding a dashcam using hardwire kit, this can be a little unsuring to those without some auto electric knowledge, so if in doubt seek someone to do it for you.

The fuse box required is underneath the glove box, it is not covered so make sure there is no power switched on.
Fuse 15 is a 15 amp for power socket and your find it third row down on first row near back of glove box area.

The fuses are micro one so the piggy back is used with a 2 amp in the first socket and the 15 amp in second socket.

Feed the cable from centre of windscreen position and gently follow down and around pillar, do not use any force or tools into this area as there are airbags, your need to gently pull off the door rubber and use the channel to take wire down the door.

Side panel comes off with a movement using plastic car removing tools take it off and feed wire into the fuse box.

Connect to the grounding point near to fuse box and connect up to power to finish.

Place all rubber trim back as you found it.

The dash cam is now fitted and only comes on with power socket is working.
nextbase if set will run on for 5 mins from internal battery.View attachment 8View attachment 9View attachment 10View attachment 11View attachment 12View attachment 14View attachment 13
How do you know which way round the piggy back fuse holder goes ?
The reason I ask is I've seen it the other way round on another install video and am I right in saying it will still work either way round but the power won't be going through the fuse if it's the wrong way round.

Attachments

• 20210324_161807.jpg
    20210324_161807.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 1,258
How do you know which way round the piggy back fuse holder goes ?
The reason I ask is I've seen it the other way round on another install video and am I right in saying it will still work either way round but the power won't be going through the fuse if it's the wrong way round.
it should work either way around as it shouldn't have a blocking diode.
12v will can even be tapped from a neutral wire (its still 12v passing through), just don't do it as your adding load/resistance to a device that's not expecting it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom