• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Door handles locks faulty or is there a knack?

t seems to be something else indeed because with me there was no rattling and with me the door worked from the outside. What I find strange is that I also read it with the new models, mine is almost 2.5 years old and never had any problems.

I seem to have this with mine which was delivered today. Only drivers door opens from the inside all others have to be opened from the outside. Checked child locks were off and played with the door lock setting but not sure why they do this yet. Wait for daylight tomorrow methinks before tinkering further.
I've got the same issue with a New MG5, back in to the dealers for the second time with the problem. Both front & rear passenger doors wont open from the inside.

I've got the same issue with a New MG5, back in to the dealers for the second time with the problem. Both front & rear passenger doors wont open from the inside.
So was fixed once and broke again? What did they say the problem was? Mine went back before christmas and is still away!

Mine’s booked in next week for a quoted “one hour”, to replace parts related to the deadlocking system - the diagnosis was that the deadlocking mechanism was what was preventing the doors from opening from the inside, and to be fair, they pulled the fuse for the deadlocking as a safety precaution, and I haven’t had a problem since, so fingers crossed this fixes the issue. I understand that it is now a know. Issue with a batch of cars - not sure why a recall hasn’t been raised given the implications of somebody being trapped in an emergency.

Mine’s booked in next week for a quoted “one hour”, to replace parts related to the deadlocking system - the diagnosis was that the deadlocking mechanism was what was preventing the doors from opening from the inside, and to be fair, they pulled the fuse for the deadlocking as a safety precaution, and I haven’t had a problem since, so fingers crossed this fixes the issue. I understand that it is now a know. Issue with a batch of cars - not sure why a recall hasn’t been raised given the implications of somebody being trapped in an emergency.
Try and grab some info on what they have replaced ( part number / description ) if you can !.
Booked in for one hour suggests a very quick and easy job ?.

My wife has just had a new ZS EV delivered from lease company 4 days ago, today was the first time she had passengers in it taking the kids to school but then found out when in a mad rush that both passenger front and rear door handles don't open the doors. It's like they both have child locks turned on as the handles move and aren't stiff or jammed but the doors just don't open. We've turned on and off the rear child lock but it made no difference. The doors work from the outside no problem and we also think the front passenger door has worked once or maybe twice but most times it won't and the rear never works. Just wonder if anyone has had the same issue and / or if there's a knack or if it's a fault and has to go back to a dealer to be checked over, which will be a right royal PITA..
Yes I pick my wife’s my ev in December 22 same problem my wife’s car is a mot ability and now in conflict with the dealer

My wife has just had a new ZS EV delivered from lease company 4 days ago, today was the first time she had passengers in it taking the kids to school but then found out when in a mad rush that both passenger front and rear door handles don't open the doors. It's like they both have child locks turned on as the handles move and aren't stiff or jammed but the doors just don't open. We've turned on and off the rear child lock but it made no difference. The doors work from the outside no problem and we also think the front passenger door has worked once or maybe twice but most times it won't and the rear never works. Just wonder if anyone has had the same issue and / or if there's a knack or if it's a fault and has to go back to a dealer to be checked over, which will be a right royal PITA..
I have the exact same problem from new a month ago still waiting for new parts to arrive at the dealer

Try and grab some info on what they have replaced ( part number / description ) if you can !.
Booked in for one hour suggests a very quick and easy job ?.
Just had “front passenger side latch” replaced. As quoted it just took an hour. Thought part number would be on invoice but apparently not, sorry. Let’s hope that’s it finished with!

Just had “front passenger side latch” replaced. As quoted it just took an hour. Thought part number would be on invoice but apparently not, sorry. Let’s hope that’s it finished with!
No problem !.
That was the very same location as on my brothers car !.
Front passengers side, inside handle failed to open the door from the inside on the collection day !.
I asked my brother to capture the part number, just in case this was useful for an other owners suffering a similar situation.
The dealer was able to grab the part number from the part from the warranty claim paperwork.

Just taken my ZS into the Leeds MG garage for the one hour fix. After one hour we were told the service staff had confirmed the fault and would ask MG for advice??? Strange, when I rang them before hand I was told they were aware of the problem and if I arrived before 10-30 it would be fixed there and then in around an hour. Anybody had this successfully fixed and can recommend a dealer who knows what to do near Harrogate?

This is an all to common situation in a lot of dealers now.
Many if not all are not allowed to order an replacement parts, without the direct authorisation from the manufacturer first when dealing with a warranty claim.
This can necessitate two visits in a lot of cases, which can be seen by some as counter productive.
One visit to investigate the problem, which MAY involve some investigation work like removing the door card etc.
Then a second visit, to remove the door card again to fit the new door lock !.
This was the same in my brothers case, one visit to investigate and another one to rectify the issue.
Maybe they DID have a replacement lock when you called, but that found its way onto another car.

Just taken my ZS into the Leeds MG garage for the one hour fix. After one hour we were told the service staff had confirmed the fault and would ask MG for advice??? Strange, when I rang them before hand I was told they were aware of the problem and if I arrived before 10-30 it would be fixed there and then in around an hour. Anybody had this successfully fixed and can recommend a dealer who knows what to do near Harrogate?
I had mine fixed last week at Minstergate York. It did involve an initial visit. To investigate before Christmas, and then the part was ordered - the original plan was to apply some grease on the first visit, but between booking it in and arriving, a batch of faulty latches had been acknowledged by MG.

My car has been away for over a month now, apparently waiting for parts! Have had a new MG5 though (not face lift) which has been useful in the meantime but am missing the app in the cold weather.

I posted here in December about not being able to open the 3 passenger doors on my MG ES EV Trophy long range (Gen 2) which I collected on 5th Dec 2022. I called my local MG dealership and they very quickly said yes it’s a known problem and order 3 new locks. It took a while because of Xmas / New Year but they fitted them on 20th Jan and they all work a treat.
Whilst they were at it they also fixed an issue I had with the front windscreen blowers not working unless I hit the demist button. Me thinks they did a software reboot. All working well now 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. Was the problem solved? (And how long did it take?) I've been reluctant to push the dealership until I know that I won't be making multiple pointless visits.

This was the same in my brothers case, one visit to investigate and another one to rectify the issue.
Maybe they DID have a replacement lock when you called, but that found its way onto another car.
Update on my brothers ZS EV Gen 2.
After having the N/S/F lock assembly replaced a few weeks ago, he has now discovered that the N/S/R door will NOT open from the inside !.
Back to the dealer for a first appointment to assess the problem, then return to have the lock replaced WHEN it arrives !.

Hi. Was the problem solved? (And how long did it take?) I've been reluctant to push the dealership until I know that I won't be making multiple pointless visits.
It took an hour, and yes it seems to have fixed the problem. Keeping my fingers crossed that the issue doesn’t start to manifest itself in other doors, as I’ve just read about from Lovemyev!

I have this problem also. This was discovered on day 2 of owning the car. Passenger door could not be opened from the inside, but can be opened from the outside. I booked the car in straight away. It was diagnosed as a faulty actuator and this part has been ordered. Now waiting for it to arrive and to be replaced. It was ordred on 14th December 2023.
The actuator was replaced yesterday (25th January 2023) which has fixed the problem. I decided to test the rear nearside passenger door from the inside and that doesn't work. It's most likely never been tested before as the child lock is always selected for that door. I deselected it and sure enough the door latch does not work from the inside. It may not have worked from day 1?
It's now booked in for another visit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom