MG4 Activate Head Unit Message

Hi all. I had a similar problem this morning. My satnav had no favourites home etc and I noticed I was not logged in. A silly message appeared when I tried to log in saying activate the head unit/ er code error. Well I reset by holding down the home button but no joy. I went to the settings screen (swipe left from home) and tried to re-activate that wouldn’t work so I gave up for a while. This afternoon I got home and connected the car to the house wifi. Tried again with the re-activation process and it worked. I had to scan the qr code again but all is now ok. Hopefully it might help someone else with this issue.
Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. Collected the car last Saturday and fine until Wednesday evening when the sat nav refused to work because it needed 'permission'. The re-activation fails with an error ("Paremeters are not correct - please check and try again') and then "TSP doesn't have car info, please contact dealer". Fails regardless of whether I'm connected to wi-fi or data.

Anyone else tried anything different?

Weirdly, although I'm now logged out in the car, the iSmart app is working fine.

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. Collected the car last Saturday and fine until Wednesday evening when the sat nav refused to work because it needed 'permission'. The re-activation fails with an error ("Paremeters are not correct - please check and try again') and then "TSP doesn't have car info, please contact dealer". Fails regardless of whether I'm connected to wi-fi or data.

Anyone else tried anything different?

Weirdly, although I'm now logged out in the car, the iSmart app is working fine.
Went back to the dealer and they fixed it in minutes.

They went into a hidden menu, put in a code (200519 I think) and then changed some mode on the head unit from that used for transport to user (or something similar) and that allowed activation to work.

Apparently something that should be done at PDI but gets forgotten.

You also need to go into the privacy policy and accept it plus toggle the three sliders to on to get the built-in satnav working again.

It seems that access mode is only available on the Trophy, so perhaps the SE doesn't have a Transport mode. If that's the case and they've been doing a number of PDIs for SEs then "muscle memory" might make them forget to do that task on a Trophy.

I had no QR codes showing on the Ismart area, this is how I got it working and getting the car out of Transport mode to consumer mode :-
1. goto settings and select system
2. click on 'Entertainment System Version' 5 times
3. then enter the code 200519
4. then click on Activate
5. Then click on 'Switch Environment / Current: until it is a single P
Then back out and go check ISmart and your QR codes will now show up.

In step 5. above mine was set on PP after picking it up from the showroom, this is the transport mode and P is the consumer mode....obviously got forgotten to be changed over during PDI

I had no QR codes showing on the Ismart area, this is how I got it working and getting the car out of Transport mode to consumer mode :-

In step 5. above mine was set on PP after picking it up from the showroom, this is the transport mode and P is the consumer mode....obviously got forgotten to be changed over during PDI
You're a legend thanks a million fixed it had same issue after picking up car

Thank you, Thank you. Dealership had no idea how to sort this, I will advise them.

No, the dealership did not sort it, I followed the instructions given above and sorted myself, I have advised the dealership what I did to fix it so that they can help others if needed

Update, for some reason the head unit reverted back to requesting activation, however I noted that there was now an ‘activate’ option on the system menu, selected this and back up and running. Hope this helps others with the same issue

Have been happily driving my Trophy for about 6 months. The other day all my SatNav faves disappeared. I then got the dreaded Activate Head Unit message. After resetting the info screen and pushing lots of buttons I managed to log in via the iSmart app.

Took delivery of my MG 4 Trophy this evening. Purchased as a company scheme (Arval) car, so very little direct contact with the dealership who happen to be four hours away from my house. The car is a '22 plate (order placed in Feb '23) and I have a feeling its been sat idle in a compound for a fair while prior to delivery (I believe the car is allocated an an individual from a pre-purchased pool). Wasn't aware this was a 'known issue' and only discovered once the delivery driver had left. I tried to connect the MG iSmart app, but got the same error, "activation required" as others have mentioned. I connected the car to my home WiFi (thanks DenisG for the suggestion) and tried to activate but had error messages "TSP doesn't have car info - please contact dealer" and "Parameters are not correct please try again". I then tried a factory reset and a long press of the home button, no dice. If there is a more recent R33 software update to fix this, I'm wondering if a local MG dealer may be able to help me (even though I didn't purchase from them), otherwise dealing with fleet sales of a dealership four hours away is going to be a hassle!
Had the same problem. Purchased delivered 28 March. Had trouble with activate head can't get get any joy tried many times. Now it goes in on July 10 to be rectified. I ant activate my is part to start ac going to cool it down.

I have tried this but clicking on the "Entertainment System Version" 5 times doesn't seem to do anything. Nowhere obvious to enter the code 200519. Any suggestions please?

My car is the Trophy, and it works fine on that, not sure about other models. It has worked for me and many others as is evident from above feedback, sorry can't help any more than that.

I'm on R33 and can confirm it works with the right passcode, as I tried it the other day just being nosey,
I can't get it to respond to tapping the screen 4 times on mine (R33) :(

Thank you! Called 3 MG garages and not one of them knew about it and was going to have to take it in. Saved me a trip!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back