MG4 - Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and MG Pilot

Tig170

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR

Is this true (If you have both settings on)?? - the car will accelerate and decelerate in the forward direction when in ACC (Green on dash?) according to the car infront- but will it also steer (if you were on a gentle bend such as a motorway ?) - I havnt yet attempted these yet - but thought I'd just check beforehand, so can manage my expectations. :unsure::unsure:

I do not have an MG4, and someone may be able to help you better

That being said, if you enable an option called "TJA" in the driver assistance settings of the MG4, it does have the ability to lane center on a motorway (Light bends) and follow a car in stop and go traffic.

This works well on my PHEV, but I am not sure if it is the same system on the MG4, I am only posting as no-one else has so far.

i need to experiment with mine. I had it all on and was fighting to steer the car. I'll gradually try one bit to get comfortable with the car doing what it wants.

i need to experiment with mine. I had it all on and was fighting to steer the car. I'll gradually try one bit to get comfortable with the car doing what it wants.
We'll - just been out to try, TJA does seem to enable both steering & distance regulation - but wow its so wired (it appears to need a white line on the nearside, and the central lines - and you need to keep your hands on the wheel - I imagine that it will apply the brakes if you keep them off?) - over time I'll try it more, but for now I'll keep it off

its so wired (it appears to need a white line on the nearside, and the central lines - and you need to keep your hands on the wheel

It appears to be an unholy combination on ACC and LKA, except at low speed without well defined lanes the system will follow the car in front.

I tried it on a bit of managed motorway and it did not like the gaps in the barriers with a couple of false bits of braking at gaps in the barriers. The lane keeping otherwise was good, but given my generally bad experiences of that on anything but well marked roads doesn't inspire me to try TJA on other roads.

for now I'll keep it off

Likewise. Overall I find it harder to act as backup for an inconsistent system than to drive myself - what I imagine driving with a very inexperienced learner would be like.

TJA is dangerous trash at this point, I thought Lcas on my classic ionic was bad. But it was just weak and couldent really get round any sort of bend.

TJA on the mg4 is a death trap. I would not recommend. It keeps pulling the car towards a white line or other traffic, can’t handle lane splits etc and requires a firm jerk to get the car back in lane.

Traffic aware cruse is reliable. Do not let a £50 Chinese android tablet steer for you.

Hopefully this will improve with software updates. Personally I think this needs disabling across the fleet.

I’m loving the mg4 for its driving and build generally but the software is next level junk.

Currently driving with TJA on and the constant dash reminders about attention, speed limits it can’t read and just jeneral popups and buggyness. I’m amazed to have not crashed.

Imagine being on the waltzer at a fair with flashing lights and being jerked all over the road.

Mg. Fix the bloody software or turn all this stuff off before you kill some one.

Weird. They must have gone to a different system on the MG4? I know the ZS, MG5 and HS use a Mobileye + Bosch system, anyone know what the MG4 is using, or is it just poor calibration?

TJA is dangerous trash at this point, I thought Lcas on my classic ionic was bad. But it was just weak and couldent really get round any sort of bend.

TJA on the mg4 is a death trap. I would not recommend. It keeps pulling the car towards a white line or other traffic, can’t handle lane splits etc and requires a firm jerk to get the car back in lane.

Traffic aware cruse is reliable. Do not let a £50 Chinese android tablet steer for you.

Hopefully this will improve with software updates. Personally I think this needs disabling across the fleet.

I’m loving the mg4 for its driving and build generally but the software is next level junk.

Currently driving with TJA on and the constant dash reminders about attention, speed limits it can’t read and just jeneral popups and buggyness. I’m amazed to have not crashed.

Imagine being on the waltzer at a fair with flashing lights and being jerked all over the road.

Mg. Fix the bloody software or turn all this stuff off before you kill some one.
Totally agree, today I had a play with adaptive cruise control during a 235 mile journey and I thought I might hit cars on the fast lane, as the car was pushing hard from left to right. Surely this is a software issue and like you say, switch this off before someone gets injured or even killed. I wrote a similar post earlier myself about this frightening experience. I owned an ID.3 before and the adaptive cruise was brilliant, so much better and clever. I am going to write to my dealer about this issue.

I've not had my car long (2 days) but it's first trip was 100 odd miles from Stoke to Milton Keynes.

Once I'd figured out the different cruise modes and realised that TJA was the equivalent of autopilot in my old model 3, I found that it behaved well on the motorway and dual carriageways. Just make sure your FJA is engaged and not just ACC with the lane assists turner on (like my dealer told me).
I've got the lane departure assists turned off and TJA on and it seemed pretty solid.

It did seem to ban me for 10 mins after I ignored warnings to hold the steering wheel a few times, but at least it let me back on. The model 3 banned you until you put it into park!

Certainty on this one journey they TJA was great. I'll update with more information once I've got some more miles on it.

Andy

MG4 SE SR

I've not had my car long (2 days) but it's first trip was 100 odd miles from Stoke to Milton Keynes.

Once I'd figured out the different cruise modes and realised that TJA was the equivalent of autopilot in my old model 3, I found that it behaved well on the motorway and dual carriageways. Just make sure your FJA is engaged and not just ACC with the lane assists turner on (like my dealer told me).
I've got the lane departure assists turned off and TJA on and it seemed pretty solid.

It did seem to ban me for 10 mins after I ignored warnings to hold the steering wheel a few times, but at least it let me back on. The model 3 banned you until you put it into park!

Certainty on this one journey they TJA was great. I'll update with more information once I've got some more miles on it.

Andy

MG4 SE SR
Lot of acronyms there...what is FJA?

Alan

Seems to be some confusion here. Turning on Traffic Jam Assist will only help in a TRAFFIC JAM, it is not to be confused with travelling at speed under MG Pilot.

Seems to be some confusion here. Turning on Traffic Jam Assist will only help in a TRAFFIC JAM, it is not to be confused with travelling at speed under MG Pilot.
So, I am indeed confused?

If I don't turn on TJA then I can't get MG pilot to work in any decent way. It just occasionally selects a single side of the lane, indicates it as blue on the screen, steers fire a few seconds and then gives up.

If I enable TJA then it behaves exactly like my model 3 did in auto pilot, this was traveling at 70mph on the motorway. Adaptive cruise and lane keep worked perfectly.

Is there a negative to using like this? I've not found a way to turn MG pilot on any other way and I'm surely not supposed to turn TJA off every time I go above a certain speed.

I just assumed that they called it TJA for some legal reasons.

If anyone knows a drawback to the system by using it in this manner, I'd be very interested.

Andy

May not help;

That definitely reads differently to the MG4 manual and suggests what many have been saying on here.

Maybe they are calling 2 slightly different implementations the same thing and causing confusion.

I'll be doing 100 more miles tomorrow so I'll see how it behaves on the motorway.

I can't fault driving with TJA engaged on the motorway.
Really smooth at keeping you in the lane like it was on my ZS EV.
I absolutely hated it at first until i turned LKA off
ACC and TJA work really well together.
Just turn LKA is off or it drags you about all over the place.
I think it's badly named to be honest

I can't fault driving with TJA engaged on the motorway.
Really smooth at keeping you in the lane like it was on my ZS EV.
I absolutely hated it at first until i turned LKA off
ACC and TJA work really well together.
Just turn LKA is off or it drags you about all over the place.
I think it's badly named to be honest
Can you enable just TJA with MG Pilot/ACC and have LKA off and will the system retain those settings when you next restart the car or do you have to reset everything each trip?
I have read somewhere that MG Pilot, LKA and TJA are all enabled at each restart by default....surely that is not correct?
MG4's not arriving in Australia until early next year and current MG dealers have no knowledge sadly.

Last edited:
Could that depend on the model (SE vs Trophy) due to slightly different software systems? (i.e. the Trophy enables additional features so the software base might be different).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back