MG4 - Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and MG Pilot

It would appear that some cars are defaulting to LKA on, while others remain off after turning off
Don't know about the 4 but the ZS Gen1 and 5, if LKA is turned off in the infotainment it stays off.

Can you enable just TJA with MG Pilot/ACC and have LKA off and will the system retain those settings when you next restart the car or do you have to reset everything each trip?
I have read somewhere that MG Pilot, LKA and TJA are all enabled at each restart by default....surely that is not correct?
MG4's not arriving in Australia until early next year and current MG dealers have no knowledge sadly.
In my car LKA stays disabled between starts of the car.

Does anyone with a Trophy know categorically that when you turn lane assist off it stays off and doesn't default back to on when you leave the car. When I took a test drive I was assured that it did stay off. So much conflicting info out there😩

Different people have reported both scenarios, so the easy answer to your question is No ... nobody can give you a categoric answer.

... I must admit - that todate the cruise control is the most baffling thing to work - its far too complex - I'm sure once fully understood how it works (and what each setting means - alongside the major downside of the MG4 in that it doesn't appear to remember any settings, and defaults to its own) - then we'll be able to sing its praises, but just at present - don't bother with it!

... I must admit - that todate the cruise control is the most baffling thing to work - its far too complex - I'm sure once fully understood how it works (and what each setting means - alongside the major downside of the MG4 in that it doesn't appear to remember any settings, and defaults to its own) - then we'll be able to sing its praises, but just at present - don't bother with it!
It's only too complicated if you make it so.
Cruise control very simple activate and set speed.
MG Pilot activate.
That's all you really need to do. Don't worry about LKA (turn it off permanently in the infotainment and forget about it) or TJA etc. These will take care of themselves. Just use and enjoy.

MG ACC and Pilot have been on the ZS EV and the 5 for years now and unless it is significantly different on the 4 then it isn't complicated.

The following thought game: Let's assume that bird droppings blind the camera sensor in the front...

Then the MG couldn't recognize lane markings, could it?
Automatic steering interventions by the vehicle should then (presumably?) be avoided?

IF the ACC still works (only with RADAR? Sensors?) you could live with contamination, right?

I like the acc but I find that it's too keen to brake when the car in front slows down .I seem to remember someone on here saying that this can be adjusted but cant find the info .Does anyone know if this is the case?

This is some adjustments. See page 199 of the MG4 user manual for further info

The adaptive cruise control system can automatically
switch between constant speed cruise and car following
cruise depending on whether it can detect a vehicle directly
ahead. Constant speed cruise controls the vehicle within
a certain speed range. Car following cruise operates by
setting the distance between the vehicle and the vehicles
directly ahead.
When activated if the adaptive cruise control system
detects a vehicle in the same lane directly ahead it may
accelerate or gently apply the brakes of the car to maintain
the set following distance.

Adaptive Cruise Target Following Distance
Adjustment

When the adaptive cruise control system is activated, press
the adjustment switch to the right (increase spacing) or to
the left (decrease spacing) to adjust the following distance,
which is switched between 3 distance settings and displayed
on the instrument.
Select the corresponding following distance according to
the relative speed to the preceding vehicle, the higher
the relative vehicle speed, the longer the distance is.
Considering the traffic and weather conditions, the range
of optional following distance may not be suitable for all
drivers and driving conditions.

Adaptive Cruise Target Speed Adjustment
When the adaptive cruise control system is activated:
Use the accelerator pedal to reach the desired speed,
press the adjustment switch ( 1 ), and then release the
adjustment switch and accelerator pedal, so that the
vehicle will cruise at the desired speed.
• When the adjustment switch is moved upward and held,
the target speed will increase until the required set
speed appears on the instrument, and then release the
switch. When it is determined that there is no vehicle
ahead or the vehicle ahead exceeds the preselected
following distance, the vehicle speed will increase to the
set speed.
• When the adjustment switch is moved downward and
held, the target speed will decrease until the required
set speed appears on the instrument, and then release
the switch, the vehicle speed will decrease to the set
speed.
• When the target speed is adjusted by using the
adjustment switch, it will change by 5 mph each time
the switch is moved briefly; When the switch is moved
and held, the target speed will continue to rise or fall
at 1 mph until the switch is released.
Note: If the vehicle ahead continuously makes hard
acceleration or deceleration, the ACC system may not
be able to keep the following distance accurately, the
driver must pay attention and perform the operations
such as braking or lane change in time according to the
surrounding environment.

You can also adjust drive/braking mode

IBS can provide 3 different braking response modes for the
vehicle:
• Comfort: The braking response is slow and the pedal
feel is soft.
• Normal: The braking response is moderate and the
pedal feel is moderate.
• Sport: The braking response is quick and the pedal feel
is sensitive.
You can switch the braking response mode by adjusting the
driving mode of the vehicle, or customize the settings on
the Infotainment display

Screenshot_20221112-195610_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
This is some adjustments. See page 199 of the MG4 user manual for further info

The adaptive cruise control system can automatically
switch between constant speed cruise and car following
cruise depending on whether it can detect a vehicle directly
ahead. Constant speed cruise controls the vehicle within
a certain speed range. Car following cruise operates by
setting the distance between the vehicle and the vehicles
directly ahead.
When activated if the adaptive cruise control system
detects a vehicle in the same lane directly ahead it may
accelerate or gently apply the brakes of the car to maintain
the set following distance.

Adaptive Cruise Target Following Distance
Adjustment

When the adaptive cruise control system is activated, press
the adjustment switch to the right (increase spacing) or to
the left (decrease spacing) to adjust the following distance,
which is switched between 3 distance settings and displayed
on the instrument.
Select the corresponding following distance according to
the relative speed to the preceding vehicle, the higher
the relative vehicle speed, the longer the distance is.
Considering the traffic and weather conditions, the range
of optional following distance may not be suitable for all
drivers and driving conditions.

Adaptive Cruise Target Speed Adjustment
When the adaptive cruise control system is activated:
Use the accelerator pedal to reach the desired speed,
press the adjustment switch ( 1 ), and then release the
adjustment switch and accelerator pedal, so that the
vehicle will cruise at the desired speed.
• When the adjustment switch is moved upward and held,
the target speed will increase until the required set
speed appears on the instrument, and then release the
switch. When it is determined that there is no vehicle
ahead or the vehicle ahead exceeds the preselected
following distance, the vehicle speed will increase to the
set speed.
• When the adjustment switch is moved downward and
held, the target speed will decrease until the required
set speed appears on the instrument, and then release
the switch, the vehicle speed will decrease to the set
speed.
• When the target speed is adjusted by using the
adjustment switch, it will change by 5 mph each time
the switch is moved briefly; When the switch is moved
and held, the target speed will continue to rise or fall
at 1 mph until the switch is released.
Note: If the vehicle ahead continuously makes hard
acceleration or deceleration, the ACC system may not
be able to keep the following distance accurately, the
driver must pay attention and perform the operations
such as braking or lane change in time according to the
surrounding environment

View attachment 12701
Simple !

It's like riding a 🚲 after hours of studying 👨‍🎓 if you haven't used it before...wobbly. I believe NASA had to automate it to stop astronauts pressing the wrong button🚀👨‍🚀

Does anyone with a Trophy know categorically that when you turn lane assist off it stays off and doesn't default back to on when you leave the car. When I took a test drive I was assured that it did stay off. So much conflicting info out there😩
I have a trophy and can confirm it stays off after leaving the car

You have to choose between ACC and TJA and have to turn of LKA on both
Thanks...which do you prefer or which makes the most sense to you ACC or TJA. Is there a major difference?
My understanding was ACC is more suited for highway driving and TJA for in the city but both allow for the vehicle in front and stop and go accordingly?
Excuse my ignorance but it is hard to find definitive answers online.

Thanks...which do you prefer or which makes the most sense to you ACC or TJA. Is there a major difference?
My understanding was ACC is more suited for highway driving and TJA for in the city but both allow for the vehicle in front and stop and go accordingly?
Excuse my ignorance but it is hard to find definitive answers online.
With the limited time I have had with the car I prefer ACC but just wish it incorporated the speed signs to drop or raise the speed automatically if no cars are in front but unfortunately it does not

It appears to be an unholy combination on ACC and LKA, except at low speed without well defined lanes the system will follow the car in front.

I tried it on a bit of managed motorway and it did not like the gaps in the barriers with a couple of false bits of braking at gaps in the barriers. The lane keeping otherwise was good, but given my generally bad experiences of that on anything but well marked roads doesn't inspire me to try TJA on other roads.

Likewise. Overall I find it harder to act as backup for an inconsistent system than to drive myself - what I imagine driving with a very inexperienced learner would be like.
i need to experiment with mine. I had it all on and was fighting to steer the car. I'll gradually try one bit to get comfortable with the car doing what it wants.
Hi I do have MG4 Trophy LKA is dangerous please turn it off it can throw you suddenly into other lanes just use TJA or TJA and ACC and it works well I do 600 miles a week on m4

I am a bit confused by the teminology. Is ACC the same as MG Pilot or do you need to access MG Pilot to access other features such as the ACC, LKA and TJA?
Also if you have the car preset to ACC or TJA does it retain those settings on standby until you press a button on the steering wheel when you reach your required speed to action them or do you have to reset everything at each start?
With my current ICE vehicle I just press a button on the steering wheel to put it into ACC mode then another button when I reach the required speed but it does not retain ACC mode at the next restart.

Last edited:
When on the Home screen press the Car button - this then gives access to a number of screens, including MG Pilot, Convenience etc. On one of them there are a number of settings you can make - choose between ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) or TJA (Traffic Jam Assist), Turn LKA (Lane Keep Assist) on or off, and set other parameters if it is on, etc.

Whether you have set ACC or TJA, pressing the middle button on the left of the steering wheel activates that feature. One press up on the left toggle will set the current speed as the "cruise" speed, one more up will set it to the nearest 5 mph upwards ... e.g. if it shows 41 mph after the first press up, another one will set it to 45 mph. Tap the brake will leave cruise on but not controlling - a press up of the left toggle will reset it back on at the displayed speed. If you press the middle-left button again it'll turn cruise off.

When on the Home screen press the Car button - this then gives access to a number of screens, including MG Pilot, Convenience etc. On one of them there are a number of settings you can make - choose between ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) or TJA (Traffic Jam Assist), Turn LKA (Lane Keep Assist) on or off, and set other parameters if it is on, etc.

Whether you have set ACC or TJA, pressing the middle button on the left of the steering wheel activates that feature. One press up on the left toggle will set the current speed as the "cruise" speed, one more up will set it to the nearest 5 mph upwards ... e.g. if it shows 41 mph after the first press up, another one will set it to 45 mph. Tap the brake will leave cruise on but not controlling - a press up of the left toggle will reset it back on at the displayed speed. If you press the middle-left button again it'll turn cruise off.
Thanks for that.
Once you have set ACC or TJA on and turned LKA off on the screen does it retain those settings at the next restart so you then only have to use the steering wheel toggle to activate the feature whether it is ACC or TJA or do you have to back to the home screen and reset everything again?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back