MG4 - Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and MG Pilot

ACC is mentioned in the manual as not working well on corners and this is true on other cars as well since the radar is looking straight ahead. It is meant for motorways. It is also fairly common I believe to have to accelerate manually for a second or two when overtaking in a good time.
True but the motorways near me are all corners! 😱😱😱 Oh well, I still think it could be better, my Golf had better ACC.

The lane 'assist' is totally freaky and bugs the hell out of me and my wife. It is especially confused by single track roads. We weren't made aware of it during the buying process and it never happened during the test drive (was it turned off?). We have to turn it off in the settings every time we get in the car which is a total pain. Extraordinary that it can't be disabled permanently when it is so dangerous. I've been driving for 40 years but this is the worst 'innovation' I've come across.

On some of the dealer cars, such as the one I test drove the LKA once turned off stays off. Subsequent software updates have made it so that it comes back on every time the car is restarted.

It wouldn't be as big an issue if the car had a few buttons for things like this...cruise control of old where you press and hold for a few seconds and it turns off. Or the 2006 Mustang I had, it just turned off with a single tap.

MG Pilot is not intended to be like Tesla. It's there to assist you in stop/start traffic (traffic Jam assist), and the cruise control is simply Adaptive, and it's "OK" at that, but not especially fantastic, there's some sudden decreases and accellerations... this car isn't a self-driving car (anyone really wanting the car to self-drive, should go buy a Tesla)... Personally, I like driving, and don't ever want to be the passenger in the drivers seat... so while I'll use ACC and TJA where appropriate, I don't ever want a day where my car drives me to my destination... where's the fun in that?

They're absolutely, definitely not car lengths. Maybe at very low speeds, but certainly not at highway speeds. My non-scientific test determines that each bar represents about 0.75 to 0.8 seconds, so 2 bars is about or just over 1.5 seconds.

so, 70 MPH, means 1 second travel is 31.5 meters (How far do you travel at 70mph in 1 second? – Sage-Answer)... so call that 30m for simple maths, so 2 bars is 45m... making 1 bar 22.5 m using your non-scientific test... as the MG4 is 4387mm long, that's something like 5 car lengths per bar... which is not demonstrated while driving at motorway speed.

So, it's an indicator of "close to cars in front, not so close, and even further away" :)

The solution here, do not use AAC,TJA, LKA, in fact MG pilot full stop, and let the humans drive the car simple as that.

My first MG a 5 exclusive 2020 had none of this lot and it was not missed or needed it had a simple cruise control which just held a set speed until you switched it off or touched the brakes
Then I got my 2nd MG5 Facelifted Trophy model 2022 and all the above are in that car but don’t use them, well maybe the CC on the motorways now and then which in turn brings on the ACC why I do not understand I hate it, the great thing is once switched off they stay off unlike the MG4 with most owners have to reset their preferences each time they sit in the car crazy set up.
Les

But by turning off MG Pilot does the LKA still come on by default at each restart?
MG Pilot is just a folder with ACC, TJA, LKA etc. in it so you can't turn MG Pilot off. You would have to turn off each driver's aid individually.
To answer your question, yes LKA will default to on for each restart.

MG Pilot is just a folder with ACC, TJA, LKA etc. in it so you can't turn MG Pilot off. You would have to turn off each driver's aid individually.
To answer your question, yes LKA will default to on for each restart.
Your quite right there Ian that’s the case in the MG4 but not so in the MG5 in general it stays where you left it so off means off
Les

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums