MG4 Carplay RHD Setting?

Maybe so ... but Apple still aren't innocent in all this. Android have given us the choice to allow the car to decide, or make our own decision - why can't Apple do the same? (How hard can it be?)

I have my new MG4 - everything is perfect - sorted out all the pings and bongs to my liking - and I could not be happier.

However - CarPlay on my infotainment display is shown in LHD format (menu on the passenger side). On my previous MG ZS it was always on the RHD side - making it closer to the driver - map on the right etc. and it just came that way.

Everything I read about CarPlay is that this is a setting controlled in the infotainment system of the parent car (rather than in CarPlay settings).

I can’t find anything in the MG4 settings menus.

Has anyone else seen this too? - has anybody been able to resolve it? - this is the last thing that is playing havoc with my OCD.
If the answer is not in here, it cannot be done

IMG_6506.jpg
Is this not RHD? Every CarPlay equipped car that I have driven in the UK in the last eight years (BMW/Merc/VW/Skoda/Peugeot/Citroen) has the screen this way round.
Edit to add SE LR Ph2.

Last edited:
On my Android Auto with the setup configured for RHD then the icons are like that, down the right side. So I would concur.

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay Icon Placement

Android Auto

• Icon Placement: Fine
  • Screen Side: Right
  • Customisation: Available

Apple CarPlay

• Icon Placement: Problematic
  • Screen Side: Left
  • Customisation: Not available unlike in many other cars

Summary

While Android Auto accommodates right-hand drive (RHD) vehicles by placing icons on the right side of the screen, Apple CarPlay does not offer this customisation. In Apple CarPlay on MG, the icons are fixed on the left side, which is less convenient for RHD drivers. Unlike in many other cars, this setting cannot be altered.

Hwyl fawr.

I didn’t have a lead to test Apple Car Play in the MG4 I test drive recently in NZ but the infotainment control icons were on the right:

IMG_1248.jpeg

I didn't have time to expand on my earlier reply ... I was meaning that the normal layout of Infotainment is irrelevant, as the issue is with CarPlay layout. So a photo of the Infotainment layout doesn't really add anything to the equation. :)

It is a bug in the MG software that doesn't tell CarPlay it is in a RHD car, as others have said fixed in the latest updates.
My CarPlay still has buttons left hand side. No option to change on CarPlay or car. I thought I had the latest software but maybe I don’t. 🤔

I’ve a brand new MG4 and CarPlay seems to switch between left and right hand drive depending on the day! It’s irritating but no idea what I can do about it, the car is only 2 weeks old (well, it could be older but I am the first registered owner)

To resurrect an old thread slightly, I did my first journey where I was relying on CarPlay etc for navigation and it half the time chose to use the left hand configuration and half the time chose to use the RHD configuration. I haven't been able yet to work out the common factors - if any.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back