• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 charging off Zappi

unxpected

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi guys,

Very new to EV driving having just taken delivery of my grey SE.

I’ve done a bit of research and have already found some great tips and tricks on this forum!

However, I had a question, which perhaps is not specifically to the MG4. But certainly to EV drivers.

I have a zappi charger at home with solar panels. This charges the car whenever there’s enough solar production. However that obviously varies throughout the day. Which means the charging speed varies.

My question is actually with regard to general charging. I was always told (mainly with phones) that you should empty the battery as much as you can and then charge it again as a battery has specific amount of charge/discharges before it starts deteriorating.

The way I’m currently charging my MG4 is by just plugging it in and letting it charge. Which often means it goes from for example 40 to 50%. Or 20 to 60%. But not necessarily from nearly empty to full (I am aware the SR can handle full charges better than then LR version which you would normally charge to 80%).

Sorry for the long winded question. But is there any disadvantage to charging small amounts at a time compared to driving it near empty (or around 20%) and then a continuous charge to 80+%?

I have had my MG5 for two years are charge like you state, from between 40-50% and Zappi set for 2.5 hour overnight to get me back to 80ish% for the morning.
Once a month I do charge to 100% to perform a battery balance.

My understanding is that this kind of kid-gloves handling of the battery is a thing of the past. The battery management computer will look after it.

I think the only things to watch are:
  • Normally charge to 80% -- only go higher when you've a long trip planned
  • Slow charge when possible -- save rapid charges for long journeys
Plugging into 7kW whenever convenient is fine.

I just set the charging rate in the car, depending on the expected weather for the day. Ranging from heavy rain = 0 = dont bother to cloudy day 6A max, and bright sunny day = Let the car / charger decide. (we have a small 7.5kw battery to act as a buffer for the house), and find that the granny charger is better for solar charging in our case as the main charger is on a seperate consumer unit (and its a way too high charge rate for our system).

Lithium ion batteries last longer if their charge is maintained around 50% so a 20-80% normal daily charge range is the recommended thing, then an occasional charge to 100% to help balance the cells.
LiPo batteries are far less prone to degradation through charging and can therefore tolerate a 100% charge range.
so based on that if you have an SE sr then charge as and how you like, if you have either lr version then roughly keep the charge in the range of 20-80% and do a full charge for long journeys or as and when to balance. I believe MG recommend a monthly balance charge of 9 hours.

... what surprised myself was how much the LFP battery degrades, ive lost 3% in 8000 miles (according to both car-scanner & ABRP) – that’s with very little rapid charging, but to 100% at 7kw home twice a week (2 x 5 hrs).

... what surprised myself was how much the LFP battery degrades, ive lost 3% in 8000 miles (according to both car-scanner & ABRP) – that’s with very little rapid charging, but to 100% at 7kw home twice a week (2 x 5 hrs).
Apparently reductions are supposed to be greatest in the first year / 10000 miles or so, then flatten for the next few years - from watching various YouTube videos E.g out of spec reviews

The curve starts sharp and then goes almost flat, nothing to worry about unless you lose more than 10% in the first year (typically less than half that).

The curve starts sharp and then goes almost flat, nothing to worry about unless you lose more than 10% in the first year (typically less than half that).
Im really hoping so - the trend is indeed looking favourable (this isn't a lease, and own it outright) - nevertheless did surprise me, but will keep all updated.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 422 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back