MG4 - First UK dealer hands on photos and specifications

I spoke to our local UK dealer about ordering and he said it's not possible until around end of September and the wait for the Trophy long range will be longer than the others. Shame really since I love 360 cameras on my current car.

Does anyone notice that the MG4 has 4 Regen braking modes? The 4th in question is “Auto”.

Anyone have any idea what means? In my head I’m thinking it’s potentially one pedal driving.

Does anyone notice that the MG4 has 4 Regen braking modes? The 4th in question is “Auto”.

Anyone have any idea what means? In my head I’m thinking it’s potentially one pedal driving.
I test drove the Kia E-Niro a while back and it had an auto setting too. The car could decide which level it wanted at any given time. Can't remember exactly how it knew which level was needed but I do really hope it has one pedal driving too. At the very least, is able to do Regen whilst MG pilot is active like my MG5 does. I know the ZS's (pre facelift and current ones) would resort to friction braking and not regen whilst MG pilot was active!?!

I'd assume the only way it could auto is all to depend on the speed you're doing? So i guess at speed it does little and at low speed it does strong regeneration.?

Yeah that pic does look like the floor is in the low position. Thanks for posting! I think I might be giving Cazoo a call when some stock of these arrive! It looks fantastic and a definite step change from my MG5 LR. Probably going to be a good year before then though I suspect?

and using radar in front for vehicle proximity ?

Ah yes that aswell, if it was super clever maybe detect speed zones using satnav or road signs
The MG4 spec does mention both "Adaptive Cruise Control " & "Intelligent Speed Limit Assist with traffic sign recognition" on all trims.

Yeah that pic does look like the floor is in the low position. Thanks for posting! I think I might be giving Cazoo a call when some stock of these arrive! It looks fantastic and a definite step change from my MG5 LR. Probably going to be a good year before then though I suspect?
Screenshot 2022-08-13 at 13.12.10.png

I'm still very impressed by the MG4 but wish that they'd fit front hinged rear seat squabs so that the rear set backs could fold flat. Still, you can't expect everything.

I spoke to our local UK dealer about ordering and he said it's not possible until around end of September and the wait for the Trophy long range will be longer than the others. Shame really since I love 360 cameras on my current car.
Not necessarily true. Its likely there will be more LR Trophy's in the early batches (it helps with the residual value) but its also likely to the most popular so it all depends when you order. Ordering could open at any time and it will almost certainly be before the middle of September.

No, clearly a poorly performing charger will be a limiting factor and impact charging performance.

Where slow speeds are achieved on good quality 150kW+ chargers it is likely it is the vehicle that is the limiting factor.

If it had just been my car then it would likely be an issue with a single vehicle. I have seen other vehicles charging at high speed on a rapid charger then plugged in and found that I have not achieved anything like those speed.

What I'm saying is that many Mk1 owners have tested on many different rapid chargers, on different occasions and found the charge rate to be much slower than advertised.

If it's any reassurance - I was charging my mg5 lr at a gridserve 350kw charger the other day and there was a e-Niro (71 plate so not the Niro EV) charging at the same time as me. We both had about the same level of charge at the start - I peaked at 90kw, his peaked at 73. Mine throttled slowly down to 57 as it neared and passed 70% charge, and his rate was consistently 15-20kw below mine. I'm far from knowledgeable, being new to EVs, and maybe my battery was warmer but it seemed like a fair comparison.

I can't see the MG4 having a worse charging speed than the 5. If it equals or exceeds the 5 then you should be ok.

If I am talking out of my backside and being an idiot, I'm sure someone will be along to tell me shortly :)

Edited to say I had scanned your post and missed the line about quality 150kw chargers. The 350 chargers are the only rapids I've tried.

Not necessarily true. Its likely there will be more LR Trophy's in the early batches (it helps with the residual value) but its also likely to the most popular so it all depends when you order. Ordering could open at any time and it will almost certainly be before the middle of September.
Hi Sam. I have a £99 pre order with you guys for an MG4 SE LR. Do you guys know when MG HQ will be letting you know September allocations and what's the current ETA on demo cars?

Hi Sam. I have a £99 pre order with you guys for an MG4 SE LR. Do you guys know when MG HQ will be letting you know September allocations and what's the current ETA on demo cars?
Demos on track for mid Sept.

The allocation for first customer batches will depend on whether they decide to give dealers 1 demo or 2 (ie 1 for showroom, 1 for demo). I expect we’ll get more information later this month.

If it's any reassurance - I was charging my mg5 lr at a gridserve 350kw charger the other day and there was a e-Niro (71 plate so not the Niro EV) charging at the same time as me. We both had about the same level of charge at the start - I peaked at 90kw, his peaked at 73. Mine throttled slowly down to 57 as it neared and passed 70% charge, and his rate was consistently 15-20kw below mine. I'm far from knowledgeable, being new to EVs, and maybe my battery was warmer but it seemed like a fair comparison.

I can't see the MG4 having a worse charging speed than the 5. If it equals or exceeds the 5 then you should be ok.

If I am talking out of my backside and being an idiot, I'm sure someone will be along to tell me shortly :)

Edited to say I had scanned your post and missed the line about quality 150kw chargers. The 350 chargers are the only rapids I've tried.
Thanks you for posting. It is great to have real data and genuine experiences from users. I agree that the MG4 will likely charge even more efficiently than the 5 and owners will likely be happy with what they get. My point was merely we need to see the charge profile curve or independent testing to know for certain.

The only reason this is even an issue for me is that MG and some very respected dealers were a bit disingenuous in quoting peak charge rates for the ZS that were only achievable for very short periods, and releasing videos that suggested high rates of charge were possible for the regular user when in fact that was only possible by driving long distances at high speed and undertaking multiple rapid charges to get the battery up to temperature before arriving at an ultra fast charges at single figure SoC.

We want cars that charge at a decent rate whenever we choose to charge them. The original ZS didn't. Sounds like the 5 and revised ZS does, and hopefully the 4 will too.

Preordered MG4 Luxury and the dealer confirmed that it will have 500kg of towing capacity like the existing updated MGs
If true that is disappointing. I really don't understand why it would be such a low rating if designed from the ground up as an EV. Whilst I acknowledge that it is better than nothing (and better than ID3), >1000kg would put it more in line with ICE cars of a similar size as other manufacturers have started doing. I hope the dealer is misinformed or making guesses, maybe something official will be published by MG soon!

If true that is disappointing. I really don't understand why it would be such a low rating if designed from the ground up as an EV. Whilst I acknowledge that it is better than nothing (and better than ID3), >1000kg would put it more in line with ICE cars of a similar size as other manufacturers have started doing. I hope the dealer is misinformed or making guesses, maybe something official will be published by MG soon!
It's definitely 500kg. I checked with MG UK.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back