MG4 - First UK dealer hands on photos and specifications

I'd be surprised if it had a heat pump for the UK, it doesn't usually get cold enough here to warrant the extra expense. Probably going to be an option in colder countries
Heat pumps work well in climates like the uk; Cold, but not so cold where the cop falls to a level where the energy savings get negligible, or the heat pump is unable to work properly.

Regarding the extra expense: The car already has an air conditioner, so already has the inverter compressor (you can hear it modulating up and down), evaporator and condenser. The only part missing to make it a heat pump is the reversing valve.

I don't see many newly released EV's that don't make use of a heat pump as standard, or at the very least an option.

I'd love to see it as an option on the MG4, or on the higher tiers in the future.

Hi folks, newly registered, been following the MG4 for a while as a potential successor for my 2016 30kWh Leaf. Nowt wrong with the Leaf apart from it's down one bar and obviously the range is looking distinctly old school these days!

Looking at either the SE or the SE Long Range (I don't really like the look of the Trophy) but ... sigh.
  • The lack of a reversing camera / front sensors is baffling, especially on the long range variant. I'm finding it difficult to move past this! A new 2022 car based on a new platform and you can't even get these added as options. Instead we have "MG pilot" which is ... fine, I guess. But I want to get in a car, drive it, and park without worrying about bashing into other cars or hazards.
  • No heat pump, yikes!
  • Can I use an app (like with the Leaf) to heat/cool the car in advance of driving?
  • No supplied Type 2 cable, only a 3 pin granny lead. Bizarre decision.
Am I being too picky? I'm used to 2016 technology, I guess :)

Hi folks, newly registered, been following the MG4 for a while as a potential successor for my 2016 30kWh Leaf. Nowt wrong with the Leaf apart from it's down one bar and obviously the range is looking distinctly old school these days!

Looking at either the SE or the SE Long Range (I don't really like the look of the Trophy) but ... sigh.
  • The lack of a reversing camera / front sensors is baffling, especially on the long range variant. I'm finding it difficult to move past this! A new 2022 car based on a new platform and you can't even get these added as options. Instead we have "MG pilot" which is ... fine, I guess. But I want to get in a car, drive it, and park without worrying about bashing into other cars or hazards.
  • No heat pump, yikes!
  • Can I use an app (like with the Leaf) to heat/cool the car in advance of driving?
There is an app - It's called "MG iSMART"

It’s interesting what people have come to expect as ‘normal’. I’m sur e you’ll be able to park using traditional methods without crashing or you could of course fit after market sensors or camera.
ZS doesn’t have a heat pump and bar maybe 2 months a year I can’t say it has had any impact on me. The PTC heater is very efficient, warms the car very quickly and maintains heat efficiently. I certainly prefer it to the heat pump in my old Zoe.
Yes to the app.
Again I can see the rational on the type 2 as many never use one - tethered at home and rapid charge away. If you want one they are not expensive.

• No heat pump, yikes!
  • The lack of rear camera on SE models is no doubt deliberate as a way of encouraging upsell to the Trophy model. It comes with rear parking sensors though, so as long as you look out of the front windscreen and side windows when manoevering, you should be ok.
  • Heat pump adds quite a lot of cost to manufacture, with limited gains. Check out this comparison by Jon Porterfield -
  • There is an app - MG iSmart - which works more reliably and faster than the Nissan EV app.
  • The granny charger is the one people need in an emergency (or before they have a dedicated home charger installed with a tethered lead), and typically the most expensive to purchase. The Type 2 32A cable is available from many sources (including the dealership) from around £120.

Without pulling one apart, I do wonder if the wiring is there to retro fit a rear camera?

There are a few places that seem to stock ZS rear cameras....

• No heat pump, yikes!
Regarding the question of providing different options, I think this would only add another level of complication to the MG dealers' ordering system and potentially add to delays in building/shipping cars. It seems instead MG prefer to churn out loads of cars in limited trim levels to meet most peoples preferences at the right price, which for me is a Holborn Blue Trophy model. Can't wait to see one in the flesh and have a drive..!

Thanks everyone. Good to know there's an app and the lack of a heat pump isn't a worry. The Nissan app is a bit of a dog's dinner anyway.

Granny charger, not a huge concern but would have been good to have a choice. I have a 3 pin charging cable with my Leaf, far more expensive than the - also supplied - Type 1 to 2 cable, and I've never used it. As you say, they don't cost too much.

Reversing camera / front sensors, parking at my work is a bit of a nightmare, narrow bays, obtrusive concrete pillars in the multistorey, not much turning room, lots of expensive cars to consider. The amount of close calls I've had with my Leaf, even with a reversing camera (and I've seen quite a few scrape marks on other cars). I'd just expect something a bit more than "sensors" when you're spending upwards of £25k. Seems I'm not alone from the comments here! I'll see what others do but I'd love to know how much adding these in would have cost MG.

(I do have to admit to being a bit crap with "tricky" parking if that provides a bit of context! I've been in cars with 360 cameras and it's been a massive quality of life jump).

No supplied Type 2 cable, only a 3 pin granny lead. Bizarre decision.
I guess it is so the car can be advertised at a lower price, but I'd rather pay more and get all connectors and leads necessary included (with savings from economy of scale compared to individually ordering later.

I guess that would include:
  • Granny lead
  • Appropriate Type 2 cable for area
  • V2L Plug
  • A lead for the guide dog (for anyone ordering the Orange) ;)

It’s interesting what people have come to expect as ‘normal’. I’m sur e you’ll be able to park using traditional methods without crashing or you could of course fit after market sensors or camera.
ZS doesn’t have a heat pump and bar maybe 2 months a year I can’t say it has had any impact on me. The PTC heater is very efficient, warms the car very quickly and maintains heat efficiently. I certainly prefer it to the heat pump in my old Zoe.
Yes to the app.
Again I can see the rational on the type 2 as many never use one - tethered at home and rapid charge away. If you want one they are not expensive.

Agree completely on the front parking sensors. It’s all well and good having the 360 camera but when you’re in a car park and trying to manoeuvre you often don’t have time to take your eyes off the road and start looking down at the display.

I’m still going to order one due to the overall package, but no front sensors is really strange to me.

I'd just expect something a bit more than "sensors" when you're spending upwards of £25k. Seems I'm not alone from the comments here! I'll see what others do but I'd love to know how much adding these in would have cost MG.
£26k is a lot of money for a car but with inflation and removing the lower specification models, even the base models of petrol C Size cars is near this or more. The MG4 is great value at present in any spec.

Base model costs:
Astra 24.6k
Corolla £29.6k
Focus 23.5k
Ceed 24.5k
i30 £21k
C4 21k
Even a Sandero is 12.5K now, it used to be 7k

If manufacturers have a shortage they only want to sell higher margin cars so that's what we now have.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Good to know there's an app and the lack of a heat pump isn't a worry. The Nissan app is a bit of a dog's dinner anyway.

Granny charger, not a huge concern but would have been good to have a choice. I have a 3 pin charging cable with my Leaf, far more expensive than the - also supplied - Type 1 to 2 cable, and I've never used it. As you say, they don't cost too much.

Reversing camera / front sensors, parking at my work is a bit of a nightmare, narrow bays, obtrusive concrete pillars in the multistorey, not much turning room, lots of expensive cars to consider. The amount of close calls I've had with my Leaf, even with a reversing camera (and I've seen quite a few scrape marks on other cars). I'd just expect something a bit more than "sensors" when you're spending upwards of £25k. Seems I'm not alone from the comments here! I'll see what others do but I'd love to know how much adding these in would have cost MG.

(I do have to admit to being a bit crap with "tricky" parking if that provides a bit of context! I've been in cars with 360 cameras and it's been a massive quality of life jump).
To put into context, the cheapest Vauxhall Corsa-e (GS Line) costs £29,305, and only has rear parking sensors, and no cameras.
The Nissan LEAF 39kWh Acenta has a rear camera, but no parking sensors, and doesn't come with a granny charger, and costs £28,995.

So MG's not being totally daft here in pitching their entry level cars for £3000 less, with more range, and giving the option to get a lot more kit for not a lot more than most other manufacturers are charging for their entry level car.

Can't find this mentioned as yet, but presumably the lack of mention of Rain-Sensing/Automatic Wipers in the spec list means it has been dropped, despite being present in the higher trim models of the MG5 and ZS?

(Aside: was it considered to be poor in the other cars?)

Not sure on the MG4 but the auto wipers in the mk1 ZS can be a bit hit and miss..
Wouldn't be surprised if they drop the auto wipers as the rear's gone completely..!

Last edited:
Agree completely on the front parking sensors. It’s all well and good having the 360 camera but when you’re in a car park and trying to manoeuvre you often don’t have time to take your eyes off the road and start looking down at the display.

I’m still going to order one due to the overall package, but no front sensors is really strange to me.
Not hard to get front sensors retro fitted

Yesterday, I got the first chance to see (and sit in) the new MG4 (and facelifted MG5).

View attachment 9879

First impressions were "wow!"
View attachment 9880View attachment 9881

The quality of the finish was very impressive. This was in Trophy specification, in the new Camden Grey paint colour, with a 64kWh battery. Interior space has been maximised by using a long wheelbase (the MG4 wheelbase is only 15mm shorter than the MG HS). This gives shorter overhangs, with more passenger space compared to traditionally proportioned cars.

The boot was a good size, with a two level floor. No figures were given regarding litre capacity, but it appeared bigger than say Kia Niro Electric.

View attachment 9883

The rear passenger space is good for 2 adults and a child, with excellent headroom and legroom. Flat floor through the back. No rear courtesy lights though (!).

View attachment 9884View attachment 9885

LED headlights front and rear. No Frunk.

View attachment 9886

The dashboard design is well laid out, with a quality fit and finish throughout. Clearly this is a car which has been benchmarked against the iD3, but I'd objectively say that this feels more premium.
View attachment 9887View attachment 9888

Under the floating drive-mode selector, there is a storage console with 2 cupholders, a roller-shutter covered large drawer, and a couple of USB sockets.
Behind the drive mode selector is a wireless phone charger (with a removable cover, where you can pass USB cables through if required).

There is no start-stop button on the MG4. To start it, you simply get into the car with the key, and put your foot on the brake.

I have been told by an MG UK engineer that the CCS charging speed on the 51kWh variant is around 90-100kW, and on the 64kWh version it is 120-130kW peak.

View attachment 9889

MG will launch the MG4 initially with two battery sizes (51kWh & 64kWh and in two trim levels (SE and Trophy).

The SE Standard Range will have as standard:
  • 51kWh Battery
  • 125kW Power (151 bhp)
  • 0-62mph in 7.7 seconds
  • Charge to 80% in 40 mins
  • 218 miles range
  • MG Pilot
  • LED Headlights and Rear Lights
  • Auto Lights
  • Rear Park Distance Sensors
  • 17" Alloy Wheels
  • Auto AC
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • V2L
  • 7" Driver Display
  • 10.25" Touchscreen
  • Apple Car Play
  • Android Auto
  • iSmart

The SE Long Range will have:
  • 64kWh Battery
  • 150kW Power (201 bhp)
  • 0-62mph in 7.9 seconds
  • Charge to 80% in 35 mins
  • 281 miles range
  • MG Pilot
  • LED Headlights and Rear Lights
  • Auto Lights
  • Rear Park Distance Sensors
  • 17" Alloy Wheels
  • Auto AC
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • V2L
  • 7" Driver Display
  • 10.25" Touchscreen
  • Apple Car Play
  • Android Auto
  • iSmart
  • Active Grille Shutter System (can close/open vents on front bumper to reduce drag / increase cooling as needed)

The Trophy Long Range will have:
  • 64kWh Battery
  • 150kW Power (201bhp)
  • 0-62mph in 7.9 seconds
  • Charge to 80% in 35 minutes
  • 270 miles range (the extra kit weighs a bit, plus the funky spoiler creates more drag!)
  • Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA)
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
  • 2 Tone Roof (Black)
  • Rear Privacy Glass
  • Twin Rear Aero Spoiler
  • Leather Interior
  • Electric Driver's Seat
  • Heated Front Seats & Steering Wheel
  • Bluetooth Key
  • Navigation
  • 360 Cameras
  • Wireless Phone Charger
  • iSmart with Live Services
Great update - thank you. Is your dealership planning on doing any special deals for those that place early orders Miles?

Great update - thank you. Is your dealership planning on doing any special deals for those that place early orders Miles?
Yes, they'll get the cars slightly sooner than those who place later orders...

Seriously though, the margins on the MG4 are super tight. We're not being given any wriggle room with which to give away freebies, sadly.

Can't find this mentioned as yet, but presumably the lack of mention of Rain-Sensing/Automatic Wipers in the spec list means it has been dropped, despite being present in the higher trim models of the MG5 and ZS?

(Aside: was it considered to be poor in the other cars?)
Auto sensing wipers on my MG5 have a mind of their own, as they did on my Mk1 MG3. I'm assuming it's a cheaper or more basic technology than in other cars to help keep the prices keen - on my Kia Niro for instance, which I had before the 5, they seemed to work much better. My Mk2 MG3 did better without them, so I certainly wouldn't miss it personally.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back