MG4 - First UK dealer hands on photos and specifications

When we went into the dealership to look at the new ZS EV the dealer said that the new one was a lot more efficient than the original ZS EV, which is what we currently have. He said "you might be in the original one and the GOM says 150 miles remaining and you know that you'll be lucky to do 120, but with the new one, if it says 150, then that's what it will probably do". This sounded to me like dealer bull, and took no allowance of driving style and driving conditions. You would hope though that these things get more accurate as technology develops.
According to Whatcar range test, the ZS range was only 9.7% less than manufacturer’s figure, so I think it’s really good considering it’s also the cheapest in this group test.

Stuff like this really irks me, as I’m sure that dealer had no qualms selling the original ZS quoting the official range until the new model came out.
Maybe on the sceptical side here but anything that comes from a dealership I take with a pinch of salt. A dealership is not there to advise you, they have products to sell and they try to do the best they can to sell them to you. I'm not against the dealership model as it works to consumer advantage when supply is plentiful but for a simpler transaction Tesla/Genesis/Polestar model is nicer.

There are 600 missing the 'granny' but how many of those will be in the showroom or used as a demonstrator.
Why can the dealer put these leads in the ones they are selling and keep the type2 cables?

Hopefully they'll have made a similar mistake and we'll find the first 600 Trophys will have heat pumps😂
Oh God, I hope so. I was pondering that earlier.
What's with the need for a heat pump. Totally unnecessary in this car in this country.
If you were buying a 24kWh Leaf in Norway, now that's another story.

Kinda depends on one's definition of 'necessary' according to the research I've read, in addition to the actual ambient temperatures experienced in any given period but like most things car related it's a matter of personal choice and 'wants' sometimes rather than 'needs'.

What's with the need for a heat pump. Totally unnecessary in this car in this country.
I often drive in the Scottish Highlands in sub-zero temps during the winter months and would prefer to have the heat pump, thank you very much.

Irrespective of individual opinions it does annoy me that heat pumps seem to be standard on European Trophies (Luxury), particularly in view of the number of moans on the forum generally about significantly reduced range in the colder months here in the UK.

From the MG EU site;

Comfort
Spring, summer, autumn or winter, we make sure you feel totally at home when you step inside the MG4 Electric.
Heat Pump Air-conditioningHeating FunctionsAir Purification System
Frame-14Heat-pump1.webp

With a heat pump heating system, the MG4 Electric significantly extends the one-charge driving range of your MG4 when the weather turns cold.

Last edited:
This is a very good video from Jonathan Porterfield from Eco Cars that questions the range advantages ( or not ) plus the outlay cost of having a heat pump option on your EV.
It makes a very interesting comparison between a two e.Nero's.
One with a heat pump and one without a heat pump !.
Really worth a view at least folks.

This is a very good video from Jonathan Porterfield from Eco Cars that questions the range advantages ( or not ) plus the outlay cost of having a heat pump option on your EV.
It makes a very interesting comparison between a two e.Nero's.
One with a heat pump and one without a heat pump !.
Really worth a view at least folks.

I'm now less obsessed🙂

My dealership has told me 8-10 weeks lead time for an SE model on the order I placed. Does this sound right? I thought the first 2000 cars were in the country

I thought the first 2000 cars were in the country
If they are then the question is where - they aren't at the dealers yet so must either all be hidden at the docks or Longbridge. My guess is that they are on a ship arriving early next week.

If they are then the question is where - they aren't at the dealers yet so must either all be hidden at the docks or Longbridge. My guess is that they are on a ship arriving early next week.
In that case why 8-10 week wait? Surely I couldn't have missed the first 2000 could I?

In that case why 8-10 week wait? Surely I couldn't have missed the first 2000 could I?
The dealers haven't been told what their allocation is for second batch of 1000 yet.

It is safer for a dealer to tell you it'll be xx number of weeks and then match your order to the second batch.

It is quite possible you'll have a car in October.... or November.... or December!! 🙂

The first 2000 are here, the first 1000 went to Southampton and the second went to Portbury.

As to their exact location, Longridge is probably a good guess 👍

The dealers haven't been told what their allocation is for second batch of 1000 yet.

It is safer for a dealer to tell you it'll be xx number of weeks and then match your order to the second batch.

It is quite possible you'll have a car in October.... or November.... or December!! 🙂
Mine has.

4 in September and then a further 9 from the second batch (estimated late November).

Easily. That's only something like 8 per dealer, 40% SE SR, 20% SE LR, 40% Trophy which means less than one of each colour. So even if you were first you'd have to be flexible on colour and/or spec.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 515 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back