I have a Zappy charger in my garage and I currently have it set to only charge off solar. You can see it cutting in and out as clouds come over, or the oven is turned on (house gets priority).

We've only used charging stations twice. The first time was just to try it out. The second was to avoid range anxiety even though I believe we had plenty to get where we were going. We have the 77kWh battery.

One thing I have to remind myself of, is that even when you ignore the purchase cost of the solar panels, inverter and Zappi charger, the solar energy we put in isn't actually free. For every kWh we put into the car, we lose on the feed in tariff we would have received. In our case, it's a paltry 7c per kWh but that is in effect how much it costs to top up our 'tank'.

I'm not complaining here. The price of fuel makes ICE vehicles totally unappealing to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Zappy charger in my garage and I currently have it set to only charge off solar. You can see it cutting in and out as clouds come over, or the oven is turned on (house gets priority).

We've only used charging stations twice. The first time was just to try it out. The second was to avoid range anxiety even though I believe we had plenty to get where we were going. We have the 77kw battery.

One thing I have to remind myself of, is that even when you ignore the purchase cost of the solar panels, inverter and Zappi charger, the solar energy we put in isn't actually free. For every kWh we put into the car, we lose on the feed in tariff we would have received. In our case, it's a paltry 7c per kWh but that is in effect how much it costs to top up our 'tank'.

I'm not complaining here. The price of fuel makes ICE vehicles totally unappealing to me.
I am over $400 in credit and haven’t paid a power bill in years.

For every kWh we put into the car, we lose on the feed in tariff we would have received. In our case, it's a paltry 7c per kWh but that is in effect how much it costs to top up our 'tank'.
While that's largely true, not all PV energy generation can necessarily be exported for a credit. That can be due to grid export power limits and/or off-grid production.

In 2023 we had 2.75 MWh* of PV generation which otherwise could not be exported for a credit.

Additional PV energy in these cases is only generated if a load is present, so you either use it, store it or lose it.

EVs, water heaters and batteries are excellent loads for this scenario.

However you look at it, charging from home is cheap, be it via grid off-peak / EV tariffs or using solar PV.

* That's more energy than our car would use in a year.

What is your FIT?
9c was 20c last year , long story but after retiring due to boredom and covid I ended up flipping houses and small renovations but in 3 houses I fitted solar when I sold them at a profit the solar made a profit so when I fitted solar to this house same week as we moved in I count that as a free system.

We've only used charging stations twice. The first time was just to try it out. The second was to avoid range anxiety even though I believe we had plenty to get where we were going. We have the 77kw battery.

I’ve recently started using Charge HQ (with delays to save some contractor wear) for the same reason to maximize charging from solar 👍

The way I look at it though - I’m not losing 7c/kWh FiT… Instead I’m saving the difference between 7c and the grid tariff at that time of day, which is anywhere between 27c - 36c.

Last edited by a moderator:
My overnight trip Mon/Tue was 440+ km and I think will end up using ~80 kWh of which 30 kWh was free destination charging, 27 kWh of free tariff energy and I'm making up the balance with solar PV at 7c/kWh. So about $1.60.

Normal fuel cost for us would be ~$53.

I’ve recently started using Charge HQ (with delays to save some contractor wear) for the same reason to maximize charging from solar 👍

The way I look at it though - I’m not losing 7c/kWh FiT… Instead I’m saving the difference between 7c and the grid tariff at that time of day, which is anywhere between 27c - 36c.
That's a glass half full perspective and I applaud it.

Since they purchased an MG4 Essence 64 I've been having a discussion with group member Alex AKA wattmatters about their experience driving, servicing, charging etc. Here's a detailed interview incl frustrating North NSW DC chargers during road trips, how Alex uses V2L at home and Home Assistant instead of MG app etc

Thanks for sharing a balanced pros and cons description of your experience wattmatters

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back