MG4 Insurance Issues

I got mine insure through NFU mutual. Cost me over £500 but they do monthly payment with no extra charge and new for old if stolen or crashed in first 2 years.
Big plus is I get to enjoy the drive with no worries, and it is very enjoyable.

Just done a new insurance quote with confused - its getting better as in the last week or so, Aviva & Esure (and their associated group of companies) are now quoting alongside Admiral (et al. companies)- its looking like its approaching double the price of a diesel equilivant (we have a VW T-Roc 1.6 TDI, rrp £27k & a MG4 - same rrp) - which is what I currently understand with EV car insurance - its higher as the associated claim is higher to the insurance company (as most bodyshops are not yet trained to deal with 400-800VDC)?

Just done a new insurance quote with confused - its getting better as in the last week or so, Aviva & Esure (and their associated group of companies) are now quoting alongside Admiral (et al. companies)- its looking like its approaching double the price of a diesel equilivant (we have a VW T-Roc 1.6 TDI, rrp £27k & a MG4 - same rrp) - which is what I currently understand with EV car insurance - its higher as the associated claim is higher to the insurance company (as most bodyshops are not yet trained to deal with 400-800VDC)?
I only pay £195 fully comp with business use for my Ioniq 38kWh, pretty sure I couldn’t insure many £30k cars for less. I’ve added our MG4 to an existing Admiral policy we have for another car, a very cheap one, it cost £45 for 245 days half of which was admin.
I don’t find EVs expensive, they were tricky when I got my first one 10 years ago and insurers don’t like youngsters driving them…..that’s all I’ve found.

I think the MG4 insurance pricing still hasn’t levelled out for certain risk profiles.

I’m sure quotations would get cheaper a couple of months down the line, right now, I’ve paid £650( my Tesla Model3 performance £580) for my MG4 SE LR, from General Accident which is underwritten by Aviva! Yet Avivas quote was approx £30 cheaper but when you go to their home page, it doesn’t have MG4 in their drop down list!
I personally think once everything settles down, my quote should be more like £400?

I’m sure quotations would get cheaper a couple of months down the line, right now, I’ve paid £650( my Tesla Model3 performance £580) for my MG4 SE LR, from General Accident which is underwritten by Aviva! Yet Avivas quote was approx £30 cheaper but when you go to their home page, it doesn’t have MG4 in their drop down list!
I personally think once everything settles down, my quote should be more like £400?
... its interesting as to how GA (General Accident) has resurfaced from Perth, Scotland - this was bought out (merged?) by Norwich Union 20-30+ years ago (now Aviva)

Just tried a quote via Confused ... Aviva at £399.37 inc. Legal and Windscreen, class 1 business, £0 excess, 0 NCD (but 3 years claim free in a company car), 1 claim 3.5 years ago (non-fault), inc. spouse on the policy.

Not that bad, but still dearer than the Admiral quote I got a week or so ago. (As long as they honour it).

Edit - QMH were £376 without Legal/Windscreen.

Just tried a quote via Confused ... Aviva at £399.37 inc. Legal and Windscreen, class 1 business, £0 excess, 0 NCD (but 3 years claim free in a company car), 1 claim 3.5 years ago (non-fault), inc. spouse on the policy.

Not that bad, but still dearer than the Admiral quote I got a week or so ago. (As long as they honour it).

Edit - QMH were £376 without Legal/Windscreen.
QMH = ?

Things are getting there gradually.

A week ago the only "sensible" quote I could get, via Compare the Market, was £353 with Admiral. Checking on there now, that Admiral quote has dropped to £331 and QMH are quoting £292, all fully comp without legal/windscreen.

My current insurance company, Aviva, who I paid £197.64 for my Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio (a group 31 car), now quote £308 for the MG4, which is supposed to be group 29. How does that work???

Things are getting there gradually.

A week ago the only "sensible" quote I could get, via Compare the Market, was £353 with Admiral. Checking on there now, that Admiral quote has dropped to £331 and QMH are quoting £292, all fully comp without legal/windscreen.

My current insurance company, Aviva, who I paid £197.64 for my Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio (a group 31 car), now quote £308 for the MG4, which is supposed to be group 29. How does that work???
Thats how it's currently working with me also! - almost twice the price for the MG4 compared to its equilivant petrol/derv insurance group! - hopefully it should settle down with time.

Thats how it's currently working with me also! - almost twice the price for the MG4 compared to its equilivant petrol/derv insurance group! - hopefully it should settle down with time.
I hope so to! There's a malicious rumour going around that my MG4 may make landfall this Saturday aboard the Grande Houston.
Slight deviation from the thread subject, but I wonder if these huge car transporters have to carry a couple of tons of kitty litter to mop up all the rear axle leaks😉😂?

humble apologies - i must admit that im so lucky to have the MG4 on the drive. Over the past 12 months, I'd ordered ID3, then, MG ZS, then BMW Mini EV, then MG ZS again, then Cupra Born.... and finally after a huge amount of luck (and this forum), I finally have a MG4!

Last edited:
Hi I’m struggling to get a quote for my new MG4 Trophy, as the model is not listed in the MG selection within the insurance quote, any ideas? Many thanks

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back