MG4 intermittently will not start

Finally got my car back today. In case anyone happens to ever have the same/similar symptoms, the notes from the service place are "CCU & IMCU not update / madule [sic] failure. Performed software update in CCU & IMCU. Replaced gateway module and retested, junction box FA080/FC077. Cleaned and refitted junction block" (yes they wrote "junction box" then "junction block", no idea if they are different things or typos).

They also installed the undertray bracket to fix the bulge.

1708571036667.png

Good afternoon all,

I am also having the exact same issue with my MG4 Xpower, lots of error messages. I have had it for less than three months.

Sometimes it won't start when I get in and then won't lock. It announces its failure to lock by beeping the horn. Other times I get the same messages/faults but whilst driving. The third type is relatively minor relating to Lane Assist and Driver alertness but again the car continues to operate.

When this happens the faults cycle through on the Instrument Pack and will often reset within 5 to 10 minutes. This has happened whilst driving at 70mph on the motorway but then cleared.

There is no pattern to what type of failure it will have or for how long it lasts.

The dealer/workshop first updated the software but that did not work.

Having found detailed manuals in a corner of the internet all these systems go through the Gateway. This is a module behind the glove box toward the centre of the car.

The dealer/workshop cannot fit me in for a week and I am insisting they order the part in for replacement on that day rather than waste time booking me in again.

I have attached pictures of the faults, the one whilst driving was taken by a passenger.

When this has been resolved I will update this thread.

EDIT:
This first started happening on the 3rd of January. This was logged in the MG iSmart app message section.

Attachments

• MG4-1.jpg
    MG4-1.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 45
  • MG4-2.jpg
    MG4-2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 42
  • MG4-3.jpg
    MG4-3.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 42
Welcome to the forum, @Deeshay. I don't have any answers here, but hopefully someone else might have somthing to advise. You might also ask in the X-Power subforum, in case some of these owners aren't reading here.

I am also having the exact same issue with my MG4 Xpower
It does sound very similar to my issue, not sure if it's exactly the same, e.g. I could always lock my car after getting the errors. I never got them while driving, only when trying to start the car. For me the errors also started within a couple of months of buying it.
The dealer/workshop cannot fit me in for a week
If I were you I'd just take it in and say it's not safe to drive and leave it with them. Especially since you're getting the errors while driving. My dealer did the same, it took a couple of weeks each time to book it in, I had an effectively unusable car, I could not rely on it enough to actually use it, it was super frustrating. When they eventually ordered the part it still took 5-6 weeks to get it (though I'm in Australia, the MG4 is new here, maybe you guys have more stock of spare parts locally). You should take a video of it happening so you can show them.
Having found detailed manuals in a corner of the internet all these systems go through the Gateway. This is a module behind the glove box toward the centre of the car.
Have you physically found it? Maybe check for loose connections if possible (though this isn't something I'd expect to do on a new car). Perhaps the same for the "junction box" if you can figure out what/where that is.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Good afternoon all,

I am also having the exact same issue with my MG4 Xpower, lots of error messages. I have had it for less than three months.

Sometimes it won't start when I get in and then won't lock. It announces its failure to lock by beeping the horn. Other times I get the same messages/faults but whilst driving. The third type is relatively minor relating to Lane Assist and Driver alertness but again the car continues to operate.

When this happens the faults cycle through on the Instrument Pack and will often reset within 5 to 10 minutes. This has happened whilst driving at 70mph on the motorway but then cleared.

There is no pattern to what type of failure it will have or for how long it lasts.

The dealer/workshop first updated the software but that did not work.

The dealer/workshop cannot fit me in for a week and I am insisting they order the part in for replacement on that day rather than waste time booking me in again.

I have attached pictures of the faults, the one whilst driving was taken by a passenger.

When this has been resolved I will update this thread.

EDIT:
This first started happening on the 3rd of January. This was logged in the MG iSmart app message section.
A shot in the dark but check the 12v battery terminals are tight.

In addition to the above I'd recommend all to give the car around 30 seconds to boot up the infotainment screen software before pressing the brake to go into the READY state.

I've seen a lot of the above messages flash up for a few seconds while sitting waiting for the car software to boot up but thankfullly the messages then disappear before going into READY mode.

Last edited:
In addition to the above I'd recommend all to give the car around 30 seconds to boot up the infotainment screen software before pressing the accelerator brake to go into the READY state.

I've seen a lot of the above messages flash up for a few seconds while sat waiting for the car software to boot up but thankfullly the messages then disappear before going into READY mode.
Fixed your typo. :)

Morning All,

I have an update on this problem.

The car went back to the Dealer as RTD, Returned To Dealer after I was insistent that it would not pass an MOT and was unsafe. I was give a demonstrator ZS EV to use.

After two weeks my appointment with their Master Technician came around and they reported found a pushed back pin in a connector "behind the dashboard" which I was told was one of the main CAN BUS wires between the Gateway and the drivers Instrument Pack.

I have the car back and it has been two weeks without a repeat incident but the car still has to prove itself.
They did not give me an exact breakdown of what they had done and although I would like to know I don't care as long as it works. I know they have been around a lot of the interior due to finger marks around the trim.

As for the consistent 12V battery suggest I always see, that was the first thing I checked even though it was under warranty and I shouldn't need to do that.

Now that the car is back I haven't seen any of the warning messages and I still get the yellow warning icons show up during the power on sequence but this is the same as previous ICE cars.

It seems that these MGs are bargain price cars but their build standards are focused on quantity not quality.

Good thing you got it resolved. Sounds similar to my issue in that the gateway module was involved. I don't know what it does but going by the name I'm guessing it helps with connecting all the modules together which I guess makes sense given the symptoms.

I also haven't had any repeat instances of the issue since they replaced my gateway module 🤞

gateway.png

As you are curious about the Gateway here it is interfacing with all the modules and systems in the car. It is the red box with GW in it. I'm going to assume it acts some kind of databus controller. This is an image I found on the internet relating to the MG4 systems.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back